Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-11, 11:37 AM   #1
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Amazon Kindle Fire

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/a...199-price-tag/

"Itching for specs? How's about a 7-inch IPS (!) panel, Gorilla Glass coating, a 1GHz TI OMAP dual-core CPU, 512MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and a chassis that weighs 14.6 ounces. There's also access to things you'd expect to have access to: Android Appstore (though no access to Google's Android Market!), Kindle books, magazines, etc. -- all stored for free via Amazon Cloud Storage. Per Jeff: "Delete it and get it back when you want." Oh, and Whispersync now works with movies and TV shows! "When you get home, switch to your big screen TV. Your movie will be right where you left it." While it's clearly Android underneath, the actual UI looks effectively nothing like it -- considering TechCrunch's intel that Amazon went and did its own thing without Google's blessing, we guess that makes some level of sense. Oh, and pre-orders are set to start today (but only for Americans... boo), with shipments heading out on November 15th."

Sounds like an absolute winner and is priced to sell @ $199. For the average user this thing is going to be astounding. I'm definitely buying one.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 12:15 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Amazon Kindle Fire

wow, i want one!!

wish it had 1gb ram, does it have micro sd slot? and no GPS right?
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 01:05 PM   #3
ViN86

Umm where do I preorder one?

EDIT: Sweet, you can preorder on Amazon's site. It comes out Nov. 15th.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 02:04 PM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Not bad at all for an entry level tablet. I'm not crazy about a 7" screen, 10" is the right size IMO. I'm sure some new Android ROMs will be flying around in two or three months.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 02:25 PM   #5
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Not bad at all for an entry level tablet. I'm not crazy about a 7" screen, 10" is the right size IMO. I'm sure some new Android ROMs will be flying around in two or three months.
Well of course 10" is right coming from Mr. Apple.

The overwhelming condenses now that we're getting some 7" Android tablets on the market is that it is a far more comfortable size, especially for typing.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 02:39 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Well of course 10" is right coming from Mr. Apple.

The overwhelming condenses now that we're getting some 7" Android tablets on the market is that it is a far more comfortable size, especially for typing.
Not even typing, just holding it one hand if reading a book is far more comfortable since its a lot lighter then any 10" tablet.
Old 09-28-11, 03:10 PM   #7
Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I agreed with this until I played around with my buddies nook color running cm7. 7" is waaaaay more comfortable. Immediately made my touchpad feel like a giant unwieldy brick.

Selling my TP and getting one of these.
Old 09-28-11, 03:13 PM   #8
Ninja Prime

Anyone have one of these/seen one in person yet? I do a lot of reading, and I've thought about getting a small, light tablet like this for books, as they are cheaper and easier to get on a tablet. How is the eyestrain, can you read text on one for 6 hours straight? Battery life sufficent for that?
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-11, 03:16 PM   #9
Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Anyone have one of these/seen one in person yet? I do a lot of reading, and I've thought about getting a small, light tablet like this for books, as they are cheaper and easier to get on a tablet. How is the eyestrain, can you read text on one for 6 hours straight? Battery life sufficent for that?
It's rated at ~8hrs I think
Old 09-28-11, 03:39 PM   #10
Ninja Prime

Hmm, I read that it has 8GB SSD space but no additional storage, they want you to cloud everything on their server farms, deal breaker for me. You'd think they would at least put in a micro SD slot or something. :/

Guess I'll wait for the Nook Color 2, supposed to launch soon.
Old 09-28-11, 03:51 PM   #11
Ninja Prime

Toshiba Thrive is looking pretty nice, lots of features... I guess I should wait and see what else is coming.
Old 09-28-11, 09:12 PM   #12
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I agreed with this until I played around with my buddies nook color running cm7. 7" is waaaaay more comfortable. Immediately made my touchpad feel like a giant unwieldy brick.

Selling my TP and getting one of these.
I like my screen size. I owned a Nook Color for two days and I thought the screen was too small to comfortably type on it. Plus watching a video on a 10" screen is so nice compared to a 7" screen. Kinda like saying watching football on my 40" LCD is better than my 32" LCD.

I think the Kindle Fire is going to be a big hit for the price point, especially with the modding options that will follow soon after. I just hope it's not a PITA rooting process like the Nook Color. But then again, tinkering FTL.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote