Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-11, 10:06 PM   #1
candle_86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86
Default Duke Nukem Forever

So I saw it on sale for 19.99 thought to myself I loved Duke Nukem 3d, so lets get forever now that its come down in price. Its nostalgic but thats it, It doesn't have the same pull that other games have. I honestly feel this is Duke Nukem yes but maybe I didn't realize how lacking it was when i first played it in 1997. I thought 3d was epic and fun, but forever just feels kinda meh to me. So disapointing, had it come out back in the early 2000's I would have loved it, but now I will beat it just because I must, but replay it, thats not likly.
candle_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 02:32 PM   #2
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
So I saw it on sale for 19.99 thought to myself I loved Duke Nukem 3d, so lets get forever now that its come down in price. Its nostalgic but thats it, It doesn't have the same pull that other games have. I honestly feel this is Duke Nukem yes but maybe I didn't realize how lacking it was when i first played it in 1997. I thought 3d was epic and fun, but forever just feels kinda meh to me. So disapointing, had it come out back in the early 2000's I would have loved it, but now I will beat it just because I must, but replay it, thats not likly.
The graphics are just so dated. Even with the polish it feels like a budget game. And for some reason they changed the fundamental game mechanics. In the original you could carry all your weapons and assign a key to each. You could instantly switch to your weapon of choice.

Also, I was disappointed that there was no jetpack in the single player. I hope they make another with modern graphics. Hopefully, it won't take forever this time.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 03:19 PM   #3
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

They should have taken the original and just gave it a 2011 makeover and I think it would have been a massive hit. The game is pathetic after all the time taken on it.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 03:25 PM   #4
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
They should have taken the original and just gave it a 2011 makeover and I think it would have been a massive hit. The game is pathetic after all the time taken on it.
I got so far as installing the demo. Tried playing a bit and it have major graphical artifacts. Uninstalled and haven't looked back.

Even if given this game for free I'll likely never play it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 08:19 PM   #5
scout2of3
"Live Long And Prosper"
 
scout2of3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I got so far as installing the demo. Tried playing a bit and it have major graphical artifacts. Uninstalled and haven't looked back.

Even if given this game for free I'll likely never play it.
Although I didn't have any graphical issues, I still felt that the demo was poor as far as game play went and like others have said that it lacked graphically.

I finished the demo and like you I have no intention of purchasing this game.
__________________
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000
Monitor: 19" Viewsonic G90fb CRT
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5 w/NH-D14 HSF
Graphics: EVGA GTX 570 SC HD
Main HDD: WD 750GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance
PSU: Corsair CX600 Watt
OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit
scout2of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 05:04 AM   #6
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine
 
BioHazZarD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,369
Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Yeah the game sucked ass bigtime, the 2001 trailer looked ten times more fun.
__________________
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 01:25 PM   #7
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?
 
Mike89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In California choking from all the liberal BS
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

What the hell, I thought it was a fun game to play. I never got into the Duke nostalga so had no expectations. I still play it when I want to take a leak and kick some pig butt.
__________________
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:47 PM   #8
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer
 
FastRedPonyCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,012
Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
They should have taken the original and just gave it a 2011 makeover and I think it would have been a massive hit. The game is pathetic after all the time taken on it.
They (not 3DRealms or gearbox) did. Still WAY more fun that DNF IMO.

http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

Install is confusing as hell but once it's working it's awesome. I had never played past the 1st level in it so my first time playing through Duke3D was in HD




__________________
- Desktop -
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-11, 10:21 PM   #9
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?
 
Mike89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In California choking from all the liberal BS
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

You got to be kidding me.

What the hell, to each his own what he wants to play I guess. You can have you old game, I'll take the new one.

Another guy here said Matrix Path To Neo was better than Crysis 2. Nothing surprises me anymore about the comments I read in this forum. Sometimes I think there must be multiple versions of the same games floating around because a some people posting in this forum sure seem to be playing different versions than I am. Dunno man, can't call it. Crap games are good to some, and good games are crap to some. And they all think they're right. Problem is, what's right to one, is wrong to another. I'll just keep playing instead of listening to the comments.
__________________
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 12:49 PM   #10
candle_86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

I was expecting a game like Duke Nukem 3d you know fun, enjoyable, good plot
candle_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 08:26 AM   #11
Quick420
Registered User
 
Quick420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London,Canada
Posts: 1,445
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
You got to be kidding me.

What the hell, to each his own what he wants to play I guess. You can have you old game, I'll take the new one.

Another guy here said Matrix Path To Neo was better than Crysis 2. Nothing surprises me anymore about the comments I read in this forum. Sometimes I think there must be multiple versions of the same games floating around because a some people posting in this forum sure seem to be playing different versions than I am. Dunno man, can't call it. Crap games are good to some, and good games are crap to some. And they all think they're right. Problem is, what's right to one, is wrong to another. I'll just keep playing instead of listening to the comments.
I agree with you,I play anything that catches my attention without listening to opinions.
__________________
:Gaming Rig:
Asus P5N-D SLi E8400 Wolfdale@3.6ghz/TTBig TyphoonCooler 51c Orthos 3hrs
Galaxy GTX560ti-GC 296.10 Forceware 950/1900/2200,1100mv,Gts250/Physx
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851



If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 06:42 AM   #12
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever

I didn't mind Forever. Not the game I was expecting, but not the worst thing I've played this year.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.