Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-11, 11:12 AM   #205
Sean_W

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

I haven't got RAGE yet myself but going on those texture tweaks, it gives me hope. I did the same tweak in Crysis last night actually and the far textures look awesome at 8192.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:15 AM   #206
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
See, I don't want to tweak. I think that it should work straight out of the box. I'm glad that id has created this "auto tweak" in the IT5 engine; it would've been awesome to just start the game and play it, not spending hours tweaking and testing settings. What a waste.

But how can you say that PC gamers get the better version? If they are just a notch above what console gamers get, then what's the difference? That's my point. Put a console game on a PC and you have the same thing.
Because developers want all three versions to look the same anyway, it's less work for them but the PC always looks better in fidelity, due to AF, AA and native pixel for pixel resolution. PC version is cheaper as well.

PC gamers fix what developers did wrong and to a degree always have. Mods do that and so do small tweaks.
Old 10-06-11, 11:17 AM   #207
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Because developers want all three version to look the same anyway but the PC always looks better in fidelity, due to AF, AA and native pixel for pixel resolution. PC version is cheaper as well.
That's arguable. AF and AA are nice no doubt but it's not a dealbreaker for most people. Also the price point is usually the same until the game has been out for a while. Rage is $60 across the board. Next year? PC version may be cheaper than console. Maybe.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:23 AM   #208
Sean_W

Well better fidelity is still better then what the console have, considering they were all done the same.

RAGE

PC: 24.70

XBox360: 39.70
Old 10-06-11, 11:30 AM   #209
grey_1

Quote:
See, I don't want to tweak. I think that it should work straight out of the box. I'm glad that id has created this "auto tweak" in the IT5 engine; it would've been awesome to just start the game and play it, not spending hours tweaking and testing settings. What a waste.

But how can you say that PC gamers get the better version? If they are just a notch above what console gamers get, then what's the difference? That's my point. Put a console game on a PC and you have the same thing.
I do agree on the bold, it should. I mean...PC gamers have always tried to take it to the max in spite of quality anyway, so that's a given, but it should look good right out of the box too.

Regarding the auto-tweak, I think Carmack said it isn't working properly and is part of the reason for how bad Rage looks pre-tweak.

Personally I'd like all settings available in the menu. Fortunately this tweak took less time than trying out different settings in a menu lol. I'll get my money's worth out of this title, but I sure hope the do the right thing and go the extra mile on Doom 4.
Old 10-06-11, 11:42 AM   #210
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

This is how I feel about it:

NSFW

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:43 AM   #211
Sean_W

So PC users are hoping for a Crytek fix up job like on Crysis 2. New textures, new menu options.
Old 10-06-11, 11:48 AM   #212
Sean_W

Quote:
This is how I feel about it:

NSFW

That is so damn funny

But at the same time, yeah

Old 10-06-11, 12:28 PM   #213
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
See, I don't want to tweak.
What are you doing on a PC then? Sounds like you want to be a console guy. Go for it and quit whining.

Personally I had reservations about this game because I put too much into the comments before I tried out the game. Big mistake (it always is when so many just seem to want to trash everything). After getting the game and playing around with it and the tweaks (I do want to tweak), I like it just fine. This game is cool with me.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 12:42 PM   #214
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
What are you doing on a PC then? Sounds like you want to be a console guy. Go for it and quit whining.

Personally I had reservations about this game because I put too much into the comments before I tried out the game. Big mistake (it always is when so many just seem to want to trash everything). After getting the game and playing around with it and the tweaks (I do want to tweak), I like it just fine. This game is cool with me.
That's the dumbest **** I have ever heard. You are saying that I have to want to tweak every game and not just expect them to work on release day without issues if I want to be a "PC Gamer"?

Seriously, is this the stupid mentality that PC Gamers are getting? What happen to wanting to be a PC Gamer just because you had PC & keyboard or optimal experience? I hate tweaking but still consider myself a PC Gamer (anyone who says I not can go drown in my 700+ games on Steam/GOG). It's annoying to try to get some games to have a proper resolution or FOV.
Old 10-06-11, 12:53 PM   #215
Blade
It's just a ride....

Blade likes to tweak
Old 10-06-11, 02:30 PM   #216
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post

Look, I've been PC gaming since PC gaming was around, and I love tweaking games, playing with .ini files, etc. However, there is a far cry from doing that to a game that was released in the proper state and doing it because you are basically forced to because the developers were lazy ****s who treated the PC version like a red-headed step child.

Once you do all of these tweaks the game does look really, really good, but most of this stuff should have been enabled by default when you installed it. There is no excuse for the way this game was released and that's why people are bitching.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote