Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-11, 07:28 PM   #229
Sean_W

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

Agreed, it does look stunning with the right texture fidelity enabled. Makes me want to buy it.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:42 PM   #230
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
You didn't fix the crappy FOV or the mouse acceleration issues?
FOV is ok for me and I'm having zero issues with the mouse.
Old 10-06-11, 07:46 PM   #231
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Nice shots grey_1. You can see the work gone into the environment like Carmack said but lower resolution textures just takes it away a bit.
It worse in the city than anywhere else. The majority of what you see in game looks good, then the city kind of punches you in the eye.
Old 10-06-11, 10:04 PM   #232
Slammin

Quote:
Look, I've been PC gaming since PC gaming was around, and I love tweaking games, playing with .ini files, etc. However, there is a far cry from doing that to a game that was released in the proper state and doing it because you are basically forced to because the developers were lazy ****s who treated the PC version like a red-headed step child.

Once you do all of these tweaks the game does look really, really good, but most of this stuff should have been enabled by default when you installed it. There is no excuse for the way this game was released and that's why people are bitching.

A lot of those tweaks will bring older machines to their knees. I imagine that is the battle a developer faces when it comes to PC's. Of course they could just release a title balls-out (Falcon 4 era anyone?) and hope that tech eventually catches up, but the attention span in this genre of games is too short for that. So, they try to balance things to appease the largest group possible, yet still make money. Their sacrifice to dumb down things to accommodate the greater audience seems to tick off those extreme personalities, like you, to no end.

Not attacking you personally, but you have to have a broader view of things. Creating a game for consoles means you already know NOT to stress tech areas the current console is not capable of handling, and to do so would render the current consoles obsolets. In the PC world, those 'areas' are a moving/evolving target, that are capable of advance at a rate a console is not.

Anywho, I'm a tweaker. I'm also a PC enthusiast. I love when a tweak comes along that allows me to get more out of my hardware, or a game.
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:30 PM   #233
Sean_W

Using higher texture sizes like said shouldn't hurt performance much at all unless you hit your vram limit anyway. You'll get some pausing or stuttering after vram as it hits your physical ram and if you have fast ram, it shouldn't be so bad.

Anyone seen a texture steaming command? This is usually best turned off on mid to high spec PC.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:54 PM   #234
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
Field of view is already at 80, much higher than the 65 or so I've seen with other 'console' games. I hear a lot of fov complaint these days, but I'm not sure what people expect. What do you prefer for fov?
I use cvaradd g_fov 20 and I think it looks much better than default. Now if I could only find a way to remove mouse acceleration from the menus I'd be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
Megatexture certainly does create a world that's like an interactive painting. In fact I would trade texture resolution(to a degree) in order to have what we have here. Despite the drawbacks of this approach it truly is an artistic achievement. Nothing like this has been seen before, which shows how innovative Id Tech 5 actually is.
The game does look like a painting when you get it all sorted out, and I love it, but I think Megatexture is more suited for consoles than for PC gaming. It's just not practical to make every game require 25+ gigs for textures this low and something along the lines of Crysis would take upwards of 200+ gigs. PC's are not memory starved, which is where this megatexture stuff shines, so while we will probably see quite a few console games using this tech I don't expect to see very many PC only titles take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin View Post
A lot of those tweaks will bring older machines to their knees. I imagine that is the battle a developer faces when it comes to PC's. Of course they could just release a title balls-out (Falcon 4 era anyone?) and hope that tech eventually catches up, but the attention span in this genre of games is too short for that. So, they try to balance things to appease the largest group possible, yet still make money. Their sacrifice to dumb down things to accommodate the greater audience seems to tick off those extreme personalities, like you, to no end.

Not attacking you personally, but you have to have a broader view of things. Creating a game for consoles means you already know NOT to stress tech areas the current console is not capable of handling, and to do so would render the current consoles obsolets. In the PC world, those 'areas' are a moving/evolving target, that are capable of advance at a rate a console is not.

Anywho, I'm a tweaker. I'm also a PC enthusiast. I love when a tweak comes along that allows me to get more out of my hardware, or a game.
I'm not an extreme personality, I'm just someone who thinks that not having a single graphical setting other than AA under video options is ridiculous. You want to see extreme personalities go check out the crazies who are currently giving this game a 3.4 on Metacritic.

Who cares if those tweaks bring the lowest common denominator PC's to their knees?...at least make them options. Even further, as Sean_W mentioned, the higher texture settings have ZERO impact on performance, until you start hitting Intel type video cards. Would it have been so terribly difficult for Id to have video options in-game? Do you know how much of this **** storm could have been avoided by adding these tweaks as in-game options?

And I'm a tweaker also, but this isn't normal PC game tweaking we are talking about. This isn't taking Crysis, which had a FULL set of video options and pre-sets and making your own config to make it look/play even more amazing. This is taking a straight console port and adding in stuff that any PC game should have by default. I mean come on, the texture streaming issue alone shows how little Id put in to the PC version.

Being too lazy to offer proper in-game settings has cost Id quite a bit over the past few days. It will take far more work and effort to repair their reputation than it would have to add a few simple sliders to the PC version. It will certainly cost them more money in the long run.

Sounds like I hate the game, but I don't. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I just think Id dropped the ball and it's annoying that yet another former PC only developer has completely lost sight of what PC gamers expect.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:38 PM   #235
Pennyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Hopefully it will be sorted in two weeks. I postponed buying this one. I am so disappointed to see the PC version ship like this.
Of all the game companies out there and given ID's history with PC gaming I am amazed that the game has shipped like this, sorry I know i'm pretty late on all of this but I have just read through this forum now and discovered that people are having to modify the game via a text file just to make it look good. That is pretty p*ss poor, I don't complain about much but this is shocking. John Carmack must surely be ashamed, embarrassed?
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro Water Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Intel 520 480GB SATA3 SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Edition
Corsair Obsidian 900D Case
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500s Mouse
ASUS VG236H 23.6" 120hz LCD with nVidia 3D Vision
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Pennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:54 PM   #236
Dizzle7677

Rage Cvar List for those interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rage_CVARS.txt.zip (24.3 KB, 100 views)
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-11, 02:43 AM   #237
sillyeagle
sillyego

EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-07-11, 05:02 AM   #238
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Wow this game is so dull. The wasteland has absolutely no life. It's a poor arcade racer with some linear fps sections. Go back out in the wasteland for another mission and oh look another bandit vehicle spawns in the EXACT same place as last time. The shooting is nothing special, the AI isn't either. Six years for this crap? The game looks nice at mid-long range but I would rather decent gameplay
Old 10-07-11, 06:20 AM   #239
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Yeah lol compare the world to stalker with some mods, insane difference it feels alive. It reminds me of far cry 2 also huge open world that felt kinda dead and boring.. this game will be forgotten in a few months lol.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 08:01 AM   #240
grey_1

Quote:
I use cvaradd g_fov 20 and I think it looks much better than default. Now if I could only find a way to remove mouse acceleration from the menus I'd be set.

Could you post a screenshot using that? I'm at work atm so can't test it, just seems it would stretch a bit at that setting.

I did try fov 5 as 85 is what I prefer in most games, but it's so close to the default there's not really a noticeable difference.