Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-12, 01:13 AM   #529
Muppet

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Skyrim: 108hrs
RAGE: 0.6hrs

That sounds about right. Although, it's not really that bad, kind of, I think... Oh well you know what I mean.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 02:13 AM   #530
Redeemed

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 02:27 AM   #531
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
... Is it just me being picky or is the amount of invisble walls really annoying in this game?
It's like FarCry 2, you have to play with the game to enjoy it. If you play against it, you'll get frustrated or bored fast.
So, enjoy the pretty pictures and make the most of gun battles.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 07:54 AM   #532
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
It's like FarCry 2, you have to play with the game to enjoy it. If you play against it, you'll get frustrated or bored fast.
So, enjoy the pretty pictures and make the most of gun battles.
I guess you´re right. Still, i can´t shake off the feeling that i expect more from id...
Old 02-05-12, 08:24 AM   #533
i SPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why my three 7970s would stutter like crazy with it enabled.

Rage goes perform better than pre-patched without the "detail texture" option on. Still have to use a config file to force the 16K texture buffer. It significantly reduces texture pop-in. The only time I notice texture streaming is when I enter a new area. Having 3GB of memory on each card helps.
i eliminated all of my popups with this config, but idk if it works with the latest patch

all you need to do is add this to Rage.exe shortcut;

Rage.exe +seta com_AllowConsole 1 +seta com_SkipIntroVideo 1 +seta mem_phymemblocksizem "2048" +exec "autoexec.cfg"

and copy this inside autoexec.cfg >>> not .txt (in base folder)

Quote:
//main settings

seta fc_maxcachememoryMB "2048"
seta com_videoRam "1280" << your gpu vram size

//Virtual Textures

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "16384" <<< otherwise i need to set this to 8192 with older drivers
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "16384"
seta vt_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta vt_qualityhdppower "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpspecular "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpdiffuse "0"
seta vt_qualitydctpower "100"
seta vt_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta vt_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta vt_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta vt_qualitydctluma "100"
seta vt_usecudatranscode "2"
seta vt_cudaBudget "256"
seta vt_maxppf "512"
seta vt_maxlockedpages "1024"
seta vt_maxaniso "12"
seta vt_uncompressedvmtr "1"
seta vt_preload "1"
seta vt_vmtrcompression "none" //HDP DXT DCT
vt_restart

//Renderer

g_fov 95
r_gamma "0.88"
seta r_shadows "1" //default
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //default
seta r_multiSamples "4"
seta jobs_numthreads "2"

//Image

seta image_preload "1"
seta image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta image_anisotropy "12"
seta image_usecompression "0"
seta image_screenshotquality "100"
vid_restart

some settings might not work but at least its 100% popup free. Idk if its ok on AMD though, maybe it will fix it for you too.
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 03:17 PM   #534
i SPY

And there is also this

Quote:
posted on the Bethesda forum :

"Small tip to getting higher benchmark scores - the following commands help out:

jobs_numThreads 'X' - number of threads to use for the game - defaults to 2. If set to 4, the score should pretty much double (assuming you have 4 or more cores), halve at 1 et.c. This setting should be lower than the amount of physical cores in your processor (ideally: half the amount, rounded down) while playing however, as a setting of exactly the amount of cores in the processor will cause significant performance drops and/or freezes while playing as the entire CPU will be busy.

vt_splitTranscodeJobs 'X' - (either 0: OFF or 1: ON). This will split the transcoding jobs into two threads per page. Seems to be an optimization for hyperthreaded processors (various Intel i7 processors, Xbox 360's Xenon CPU) - disabling seems to improve performance on my AMD cpu (jobs_numThreads 1: 16 (on) vs. 23 (off), jobs_numThreads 2: 32 (on) vs. 46 (off), jobs_numThreads 3: 47 (on) vs. 67 (off), jobs_numThreads 4: 53 (on) vs. 74 (off)).

From those results, I was able to speed up the texture transcoding process by about ~50% simply by using that command.

If you find the noise-amount to be a bit too much at times, you can configure the noise amount to apply in the console with the following command:

vt_upsampleNoise X

"X" being the desired amount (default: 8).

---
I saw this last night when I was playing Rage, I set the Noise level at 2, and it looks a lot nicer (textures are still sharp, but don't look like they have film grain effect).
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 02:01 PM   #535
Redeemed

So I finally fired up this game. Stopped playing it because there were just too many graphical glitches and I was really irritated that the only in-game graphics options was changing resolution.

Well, there are far more options available now for in-game graphics, and for the most part the glitches are all gone. Figured if I waited the patches and new drivers would alleviate most problems. Sure enough they have.

Still have pretty nasty "texture pop" or whatever you call it, but I think I can ignore that. So far the game is actually quite fun. Think this may be my new time-consumer.

I am curious though, are there any relatively simple fixes for the "texture pop" on AMD cards? Or is that something I'll just have to live with?
Old 06-06-12, 02:42 PM   #536
Cylphid

Quote:
So I finally fired up this game. Stopped playing it because there were just too many graphical glitches and I was really irritated that the only in-game graphics options was changing resolution.

Well, there are far more options available now for in-game graphics, and for the most part the glitches are all gone. Figured if I waited the patches and new drivers would alleviate most problems. Sure enough they have.

Still have pretty nasty "texture pop" or whatever you call it, but I think I can ignore that. So far the game is actually quite fun. Think this may be my new time-consumer.

I am curious though, are there any relatively simple fixes for the "texture pop" on AMD cards? Or is that something I'll just have to live with?
AMD texture fix for Rage
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-12, 02:45 PM   #537
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post

"Out of Stock"- not an easy fix it seems.
Old 06-06-12, 03:03 PM   #538
Cylphid

Quote:

"Out of Stock"- not an easy fix it seems.
oops, wrong link

Use the older driver set - worked on my lowly 5650.

This thread covers it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2196215
Old 06-06-12, 03:48 PM   #539
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
oops, wrong link

Use the older driver set - worked on my lowly 5650.

This thread covers it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2196215
Thanks Cylphid. Gotta' head out for work but I'll give this a go when I get in later tonight.
Old 06-07-12, 09:03 AM   #540
Cylphid

Quote:
Thanks Cylphid. Gotta' head out for work but I'll give this a go when I get in later tonight.
Hope it works for ya. I don't remember exactly which older driver I rolled back too, but it made a world of difference.

That said, certain parts of the game are just horrible looking regardless of hardware or driver used, while some of it is almost stunning with all the fixes and tweaks in place. Very inconsistent between wasteland and city and strongholds.