Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-11, 09:03 AM   #1
nerdy_kid

Default compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in XFindOnExtensionList()

Hi, I am affected by this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/855991

I have emailed NVIDIA, but I was wondering if there could be a possible workaround in the mean time.
Attached is my nvidia-bug log.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (63.9 KB, 37 views)
nerdy_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 05:02 PM   #2
nerdy_kid

Default Re: compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in XFindOnExtensionList()

I just realized that my attachment is empty...

Soo, here is my system:

Fully updated Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2
Unity desktop environment 4.20 (compiz 0.9.6).
NVIDIA GTX 560M with NVIDIA driver version 280.13 from the Ubuntu software channels.

I've attached the following, and here is how I got each file:

unity.log: Unity wouldn't start at all in this case, I simply tried to run it in the debugger using "unity --advanced-debug". However, it ran fine when I started it without --advanced-debug.
unity2.log: I started Unity without --advanced-debug, and then attached gdb to the compiz process. As soon as I did that, compiz crashed, and I got this.
unity3.log I logged out, and logged back in. Then I attached gdb to the compiz process with this result.

Normally (i.e. without using gdb), I can reproduce it pretty steadily by suspending my system to RAM and then resuming. On resume, the screen will hang and lag for up to 30 seconds (note this happens only when I am using compiz as my window manger, metacity (Unity-2D) resumes instantly), I will sometimes be presented with the unlock screen dialog, but sometimes not. In the latter case, I can type my password in and it will bring me to my desktop, where compiz/unity proceeds to crash.
Attached Files
File Type: txt unity.log.txt (17.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: txt unity3.log.txt (6.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: txt unity2.log.txt (1.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-05-11, 12:11 AM   #3
SmSpillaz

Unity developer here,

I'm pretty sure that this crash was caused by some misbehaviour inside of our code which caused some local storage to xlib to be freed under certain circumstances. That's now fixed, so please check to see if you still get this crash after upgrading to the latest version.
SmSpillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 07:44 AM   #4
nerdy_kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmSpillaz View Post
Unity developer here,

I'm pretty sure that this crash was caused by some misbehaviour inside of our code which caused some local storage to xlib to be freed under certain circumstances. That's now fixed, so please check to see if you still get this crash after upgrading to the latest version.
it looks like the crashing is fixed, but resume from suspend is still very laggy and slow. Better then it was, but still it takes about 15 seconds to have a usable desktop. That is probably a separate bug though, so I will file that on launchpad.