Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-11, 05:56 AM   #37
Hogrider

Default Re: iOS 5 Available Now

Here is the link for the icloud control panel
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

This morning I checked on icloud.com and I only see 2 of her contacts and nothing on her calendar. WTF
Her calendar is syncing from her Exchange email at work and so are her contacts. Why wouldn't that info get sent to icloud?
Also I have her stuff backing up to the cloud and I manually sent a backup but how do you access those backups? I see nowhere to try and restore from a backup on icloud if I wanted to.
Not sure wtf is going on here, yea I'm not the most apple savvy person but it just doesn't seem as easy as a PC.

Edit: Just turned off Contacts for icloud and turned it back on and it said Exchange contacts won't be merged on icloud.
I also noticed Exchange calendar will not merge on icloud either by design.
Why the hell would they do something like that? I would want to see all my contacts and calendar not just certain ones. That is absolutely no use to my wife.
Old 10-13-11, 09:52 AM   #38
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Here is the link for the icloud control panel
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

Oh, cool. Was unaware of this. I won't use it but it sure will be nice for other people.

This morning I checked on icloud.com and I only see 2 of her contacts and nothing on her calendar. WTF. Her calendar is syncing from her Exchange email at work and so are her contacts. Why wouldn't that info get sent to icloud?
That is strange. It says Outlook 2007/10 is required for iCloud... Honestly though if it's on her phone it should be uploaded to iCloud.

Also I have her stuff backing up to the cloud and I manually sent a backup but how do you access those backups? I see nowhere to try and restore from a backup on icloud if I wanted to.
If you reinstall iOS5 - It shows a list of backups you can select to "reimage" with. Just hit it and it re-installs that particular image it took. It actually works extremely well.

Not sure wtf is going on here, yea I'm not the most apple savvy person but it just doesn't seem as easy as a PC.

Edit: Just turned off Contacts for icloud and turned it back on and it said Exchange contacts won't be merged on icloud.
I also noticed Exchange calendar will not merge on icloud either by design.
Why the hell would they do something like that? I would want to see all my contacts and calendar not just certain ones. That is absolutely no use to my wife.
Old 10-13-11, 01:38 PM   #39
Hogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well, Exchange is used in businesses. A service like iCloud has no place in a business environment. It's a security risk if some employee suddenly publicly shares his company calendar or stuff like that. I'd say Apple disabled it as a precaution.
I'm half aslep right now since I haven't been getting much sleep the past few days so I might not have typed that correctly about it saying "Exchange", it might have just said "Outlook", but anyways it is not showing her Outlook calendar and contacts. Outlook doesn't have to be only for business. If it is syncing her Outlook calendar and contacts on her ipad it should also sync to icloud I would think.
I went on icloud and created an event on the calendar. It showed up a few seconds later on her calendar on her ipad but only under the icloud calendar, not on the exchange calendar. If you create an event on the ipad under the icloud calendar it will show up on icloud calendar. It's that only those events will sync.
Old 10-13-11, 01:52 PM   #40
Albo

I was able to get iOS5 on my iPod Touch 3G. And its really nice.. UGH WHY?!?!

Now I'm back to square one.. GALAXY S2 or iPHONE 4S?!?!? I honestly could go either way and be happy. iPhone has a lot of nice things, Siri looks exceptional, but I don't know how much actual functionality it has for me. Then the Galaxy S2 looks phenomenal, but I don't know if I really want to deal with the constant editing, and rooting(of course I would root!) Changing Android OSs, and other stuff..

I need to check the two things out at the store..
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 02:32 PM   #41
ViN86

EDIT: nvm
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 04:53 PM   #42
Riptide

I thought it was supposed to "just work"? BS

My friend bought the camera kit for the ipad and it doesn't "just work" when he connects it up to the phone. Comes right up on the phone and says it isn't supported.

It's IOS. It should "just work". Same plug, same connector. I don't care if the camera kit was "for the ipad" or not. STUPID APPLE BE MORE FUNNY
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 08:14 PM   #43
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
You have a Mac right? Since the introduction of iCloud, the whole Mac/iOS offering jumped another step ahead of the competition. iPhone 4S would be my choice, without a doubt.
A phone is something that just needs to work at all times. No other company does exactly that as good as Apple.
Yes, Mac and PC. Exactly, the iCloud is pretty nice. I have my iPod plugged into iHome, and the iPod is showing up on my list of plugged in devices. Dumb it took them this long to do it, but now that they have, its pretty nice. I don't know, I like that its like a complete package (like the whole user experience that Apple preaches) That would be like the only reason I buy it, because of my music and apps and everything is on iTunes. But I'm sure there are like apps for android too. I'm torn.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 08:37 PM   #44
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

I upgraded my iPhone4 to iOS 5...kinda no difference to me in performance......am I missing something but, I did notice lower battery efficiency
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-11, 12:50 AM   #45
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Holy poop after iOS 5, battery seems to run out of juice so fast...full charge 8 AM....13:45PM, 45% charge left only. Granted I do have music player on and connected via bluetooth, and i do play a few games during my smoking break...but preiSO5 it was around 70% for the same timeframe and activities!

Is it the new icloud thing and other things? please someone let me know so i can shut these damn useless crap off
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:45 AM   #46
K007

If you quit smoking you will save your battery life!...and your life too :P!
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 05:45 AM   #47
Hogrider

I think I'm turning that icloud crap off on my wife's ipad2 and will probably do so on my ipod touch4g also whenever I upgrade it. Nothing about it seems useful for us.
The calendar and contacts are useless to her and I don't use them. We don't need it to push any purchases to other devices since we only have 2 devices and one belongs to her and one to me (we don't need whatever the other buys). We can just do our backups to the computer as always and then we have the option of seeing the backups to restore from unlike on icloud where you backup to it but for some ridiculous reason you can't see your list of backups to restore from.
Old 10-14-11, 07:06 AM   #48
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post

I think I'm turning that icloud crap off on my wife's ipad2 and will probably do so on my ipod touch4g also whenever I upgrade it. Nothing about it seems useful for us.
The calendar and contacts are useless to her and I don't use them. We don't need it to push any purchases to other devices since we only have 2 devices and one belongs to her and one to me (we don't need whatever the other buys). We can just do our backups to the computer as always and then we have the option of seeing the backups to restore from unlike on icloud where you backup to it but for some ridiculous reason you can't see your list of backups to restore from.
What's the point in seeing a list of backups unless you're actually restoring??