Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-11, 05:04 PM   #145
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
They won't be. In the basic desktop segment...AMD will begin to trounce intel/nvidia soundly. For most users a Fusion product offers such overwhelming value that it's a no-brainer purchase.

4870 caliber graphics combined with a decent performing cpu....for a cheap price.

Keep in mind that most PC users are nothing like the enthusiasts that frequent nVnews. They just want to browse the web, watch flash, and play Battlefield 3...that's it.
fixed
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:40 PM   #146
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
No chance, there Graphics department is doing extremely well and long may it continue. We need competition to keep these companies honest (or as honest as they can be)
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2203423

ATi is not doing "extremely well", they've pretty much been dismantled since they sold out.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 08:35 PM   #147
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2203423

ATi is not doing "extremely well", they've pretty much been dismantled since they sold out.
I think you know what I mean. Competative wise, on the graphics side they are doing fine.

CPU wise (on the AMD side) they have been trailing Intel for quite a few years now. That is something, I can't see changing anytime soon.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 08:37 PM   #148
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2203423

ATi is not doing "extremely well", they've pretty much been dismantled since they sold out.
ATi Performance is not the problem here.

AMD is basically dragging down ATi.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 08:59 PM   #149
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
ATi Performance is not the problem here.

AMD is basically dragging down ATi.
I think you've got it backwards there. AMD owns ATi outright and is the much larger company.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 11:56 PM   #150
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I think you've got it backwards there. AMD owns ATi outright and is the much larger company.
No, he had it right. Ati would be much better off without AMD, the same can't be said for AMD without Ati.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 06:14 AM   #151
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
No, he had it right. Ati would be much better off without AMD, the same can't be said for AMD without Ati.
ATi would have closed their doors years ago if AMD had not bought them and kept them afloat.

AMD is a much larger company than ATi, and together their market cap today is $4b. That means ATi these days would have a market cap under $2b, if not $1b.

Since being purchased by AMD, the graphics division has mainly lost money, occasionally making a couple million here and there.

All the "their strategy is to make second place GPUs and sell them cheap!" PR spin in the world can't change these facts. Like I posted long ago, when ATi lowered their prices and started selling their top end products for $300 instead of $500 and their midrange for $200 it was the LAST thing they needed. They were buying market share at the cost of profit per unit (same as AMD) at a time when they needed money.

The ATi of old no longer exists, and I would not be surprised if the 7000 series is their last high end product.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 01:23 PM   #152
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...Next_Week.html

According to XBit's unnamed source, AMD will be announcing a new corporate strategy next week focusing on mobile tech. The Beefdozer and 7000 series may well be the swan song of enthusiast AMD and ATi as we knew them.

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/03/a...oup-untouched/

Quote:
Carrell Killebrew, the man credited with Eyefinity, probably the largest advantage AMD has in the graphics market right now....Add to this the brain drain that has happened over the last few months, people like Dr. Gamal Refai-Ahmed, David Hoff, and dozens of others, you have to wonder who is left.
That's from ATi's biggest pimp. Clearly ATi is on the skids right along with AMD. I guess the future really was fusion.

The only question left is what will happen to computer gaming forums when all that is left to talk about is which intel CPU we'll buy, or which NVIDIA GPU?
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-11, 10:13 PM   #153
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section
 
uOpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 609
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Intel has been in the same position when their first power-hog, high-clock, not-full-cores architecture tanked, Netburst. They went back (or sideways) to something that was derived from the earlier designs.

I don't see that AMD can't do that. They make reasonable amounts of money.

The way I see it AMD had, until last week, been the company upholding CPUs that perform well and predictable for non-multimedia and hard to multithread code. My Phenom II with Turbo blasts through the typical "how long do I have to wait for this C++ lib to link" very well. The only drawback is idle power higher than I would have liked.

AMD also gives us ECC support in desktop CPU and unlocked multipliers for cheap. Intel is on it's first generation of reasonably priced unlocked multiplier CPUs and that party will be over if AMD goes out.
__________________

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 12:20 AM   #154
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
All the "their strategy is to make second place GPUs and sell them cheap!" PR spin in the world can't change these facts. Like I posted long ago, when ATi lowered their prices and started selling their top end products for $300 instead of $500 and their midrange for $200 it was the LAST thing they needed. They were buying market share at the cost of profit per unit (same as AMD) at a time when they needed money.
Yeah, because they didn't also go for smaller die sizes or anything, they just said "lets sell our same old chips for less profit!". Their prices are in line with the die size differences compared to NV on the high end, considering the performance delta isn't as large as the die size or price difference I'd have to say it's a pretty good strategy.

But of course you'll overlook tiny facts like that in order to troll.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 05:10 AM   #155
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Yeah, because they didn't also go for smaller die sizes or anything, they just said "lets sell our same old chips for less profit!". Their prices are in line with the die size differences compared to NV on the high end, considering the performance delta isn't as large as the die size or price difference I'd have to say it's a pretty good strategy.

But of course you'll overlook tiny facts like that in order to troll.
And yet which company made more money this year, is worth about 8X as much, could buy the other with cash, likely won't be announcing their departure from high end gaming this week, and isn't laying off all their best people while the world wonders if they'll be in business next year?

Maybe the strategy wasn't so good or profitable as you say?

When AMD is making CPUs for micrwave ovens and graphics for cordless phone handsets, what the heck are people on the internet going to debate?

"Well if ATi and 3DFX had survived, their products would have been better!"?

Wonder what will happen on AMDZone if AMD leaves the high end behind?

"Dude AMDs new Forklift cpu offers 27% of the gaming performance of a Bulldozer! It's looking to be one powerful chip!"
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 06:24 AM   #156
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
AMD also gives us ECC support in desktop CPU and unlocked multipliers for cheap. Intel is on it's first generation of reasonably priced unlocked multiplier CPUs and that party will be over if AMD goes out.
I don't buy into the whole "If AMD goes, intel and NVIDIA will put the screws to us!" position.

intel and NVIDIA need us to keep buying their products on a regular basis to keep their doors open, so they can't just say "Haha, you are all screwed. Our new price points are $1000,$2000, and $3000, pay it or do without.".

The number of people who would pay that would be too small to cover their overhead. (especially in a world wide recession)
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.