Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 10:14 AM   #13
mcortz_2000
X-Rhodesian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ATI LoVeR 9700

6 Months later, and it was buggy, really buggy. I remember that. Most people know.
Actually no, and let me think about it .... NO......
There were problems but nothing to the magnitude of what Ati is dealing with......
1 x 80Gig 7200(2MB) W/D
SB Augidy Gamer
Ati 9700(non-pro) - cat3.1(Omega)
Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, 430Watt Enermax
WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
-- RanglerGRS --
mcortz_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 10:48 AM   #14
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Exclamation

Quote:

6 Months later, and it was buggy, really buggy. I remember that. Most people know.
ATI Lover, I really want to respect your opinion, but this sort of thing makes it hard to do. I bought GF3 within a month of its release, and I play a LOT of different games (well, tried a lot, play a few..). I can't recall any bugs with anything I tried (and trust me, there were many that weren't in the popular list of benchmarking games / apps that are commonly seen around the net). Performance issues with some things, sure.. at least compared to the numbers I recall seeing posted by GF2Ultra owners, but no bugs.

Heck, even the features that aren't supported now, or have still gone totally unused except maybe for tech demos (the tesselation support is NOW turned off, not because it was broken, but because DX's attempting to use them to emulate ATI's TruForm stuff caused massive performance hits. Then there was volumetric textures, which we didn't know about at the initial GF3 release [free feature], but was enabled with the arrival of GF3Ti) weren't buggy.

Later drivers fixed most of the performance issues too.

So far as I have seen, ATI is the company with the history of true bugs.
Old 09-10-02, 11:07 AM   #15
mcortz_2000
X-Rhodesian

Smile

Thanks snake eyes, I totally agree with what u say. This is going to stay the same until Ati improves its track record and keeps it that way....
1 x 80Gig 7200(2MB) W/D
SB Augidy Gamer
Ati 9700(non-pro) - cat3.1(Omega)
Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, 430Watt Enermax
WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
-- RanglerGRS --
mcortz_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 11:58 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Would you care to provide some evidence either from your own experience or referring to sites on the net that says the GF3 suffered from bugs six months after its release?

Sure, it had problems when it initially came out with some things, but it was not on the order of magnitude of the 9700. Hell, when you put a GF3 and even an 8500 for that matter in your system you could at least count on it giving you a display when you powered on your machine from a cold boot.

Speaking of bugs, I bought my GF3 3 months after it came out. I installed it with the 12.90 drivers and never had a single problem playing games. Everything was top-notch. And there are plenty of other people here and even those trolls at Rage3D who will say the same thing.

I bought a Radeon 8500 6 months after it came out. I had 4 sets of drivers handy: latest official from Gigabyte, latest official from ATI, latest beta from ATI and Omega's drivers. All of them were stable in that the card never caused my system to lockup or cause my games to crash but every set I tried suffered from graphical glitches and anomalies that never existed with my GeForce3. The biggest problems I had were 1) I could never get PowerDVD to work properly with that card (and that's what shipped with my Gigabyte 8500), 2) UT suffered poor performance and glitches in OpenGL and 3) no support for 3D in Linux. I might have been patient had I bought the card immediately upon its release but this was 6 months after the card had been available and having experienced these issues (and others) was simply unacceptable.

I understand that your experience has been different. However, making a blanket statement that the GF3 was buggy six months after it came out, offering the reason as "Most people know" without providing any additional information is pretty ludicrous.

Last edited by saturnotaku; 09-10-02 at 12:25 PM.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 12:22 PM   #17
FastM
GeForceFlop

Send a message via ICQ to FastM

Quote:
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

ATI Lover, I really want to respect your opinion, but this sort of thing makes it hard to do. I bought GF3 within a month of its release, and I play a LOT of different games (well, tried a lot, play a few..). I can't recall any bugs with anything I tried (and trust me, there were many that weren't in the popular list of benchmarking games / apps that are commonly seen around the net). Performance issues with some things, sure.. at least compared to the numbers I recall seeing posted by GF2Ultra owners, but no bugs.

Heck, even the features that aren't supported now, or have still gone totally unused except maybe for tech demos (the tesselation support is NOW turned off, not because it was broken, but because DX's attempting to use them to emulate ATI's TruForm stuff caused massive performance hits. Then there was volumetric textures, which we didn't know about at the initial GF3 release [free feature], but was enabled with the arrival of GF3Ti) weren't buggy.

Later drivers fixed most of the performance issues too.

So far as I have seen, ATI is the company with the history of true bugs.
Ditto, got my Hercules GF3 about a month after they were released. Cant remember EVER having any kind of problem with it or some sort of imcopatability, I CAN remember getting all excited everytime a new Det was leaked and watching my 3dmark score climb and climb and climb.
(1MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz) | Radeon® Xpress 200M | 1GB DDR333 | ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 128MB | Realtek ALC250 | Toshiba MK-1032GAX 100GB 16m | Matsh1ta UJ-845S 8x DVD Burner | WSXGA+ 15.4" 1680x1050 | The Ferrari 4005 |
FastM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 02:28 PM   #18
porksoda

Default re: dont put ati down!??!?!?!

I'd like to clear some stuff about ati on how ppl think ati SOLVED thier problems by drivers or bios updates... first of all.... when you buy a car it doesnt come with a warning... dont go over 120km/hr.... or when you go over 120 it doesnt stall and go up in smoke and you are not suggested to not go over 120km/hr by the manufacturer... its like promising user a product... and not delivering...

like you dont go to order a big mac combo... and the restaruant gives you half the burger saying.. sorry it couldnt be helped.

Ati's new bios that fixes the problem.. simply in a way clocks down the card with memory... and disables the second display.

Ati was smart to overclock thier retail cards to get "artificial" performance... knowing the 4x loophole wiht via boards... now that the via boards support 4x agp in xp with 4in1 4.4.1 ati cant help crashing... only way ONLY way you can stabilize a 8500 is to CLOCK IT DOWN. and i refuse to do so... thats why i got rid of the card.

clock it down by bios update (ram timing changed to crap)
or use older drivers that did not support 4x.

there are a lot of people who will say ok.. to stabilize the card its ok to DOWN clock my card...

but if the box said 275/275. I aint clockin it down.

And i wondered why my company dropped ati for thier graphics cards/chips.

Last edited by porksoda; 09-10-02 at 02:31 PM.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 02:41 PM   #19
volt

Why do I have a feeling this thread will be closed ?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 03:04 PM   #20
porksoda

Exclamation re: shut it down?

Why should it be closed? its not like im making this stuff up... just stating the facts...

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX
Why do I have a feeling this thread will be closed ?
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-02, 03:26 PM   #21
volt

I'm not pointing fingers. Most of those discussions end with flames and name calling. Just a warning.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 03:28 PM   #22
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I am now running a 9700.

Haven't had any problems. Works perfectly. I was worried too after reading through Rage3d, but if you know how to properly set up a computer (which apparently so many don't), this card works great.

I uninstalled Geforce 3 drivers, put in Radeon, installed drivers, rebooted, and everything works fine.
Old 09-10-02, 03:40 PM   #23
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

TRAITOR!!! Time to rally the lynch mob.

j/k - Glad to see the card's working well for 'ya nin. How's the IQ and performance with FSAA and aniso? I know what the review sites say, now I want to hear it from someone who switched from NVIDIA.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 04:28 PM   #24
ATI LoVeR 9700

6 Months later, the drivers were fine. In the beginning, it gave me problems. Like lock-ups, freezes, graphic glitches, it was bad. The later drivers made it better. The IQ did not live up to the Radeon 64MB VIVO though.

The 8500, when I first bought it gave me no bugs. I was fine. That High-Poly bug didn't affect me. It was all good.

The 9700 is a good card. You guys act like ATi will never make a good product. Do you guys realize that ATi's driver department is better than ever and is only going up? And Do I need to mention the engineering department, they've owned nVidia all their lives.

Saturn, go to Best Buy, buy the card, test it for 13 days, and on the 14th day(the last day to return it), return it with no restock fee! Post what you think about it.

BTW, I have a 2001 Saturn SL2(in addition to the 3 Bimmers, 87 325i is back, my 95 525i, and my 2002 M3 which I saved up for for 11 years), that I bought for 8,000 after it was in an accident. Can I put any performance parts on it? I mean, I DON'T WANT TO RICEBOY IT! I mean real performance, not Hochikacha toys. Know any sites that sell parts? I like that car, it's just a little, weak.

So can you help out Saturn? I'm in Illinois too, so local shops are fine if you know any.
ATI LoVeR 9700 is offline   Reply With Quote