Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-03, 03:41 PM   #1
chaghi

Default nvidia vs asus drivers ???

I've found by chance that asus provides its own all-in-one Linux driver for the a7n8x mobos.
The asus driver is here:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...Type=Utilities

I wasn't aware of this driver, so I've installed the nvidia one, which seems to work fine, except for some buggy behaviour of the 5.1 analog sound.

But Asus says that the nvidia driver won't work with this mobo. Strange...!! AFAIK we all have installed the nVidia's driver, haven't we?

So I'd like to know if somebody has installed the asus driver, and what are the differences between them.

Does anybody know if the asus driver is based on the nvidia one? If so, wich version?
Does it work with redhat 8.0? (the rpm's inside the zip seem to be for redhat 7.3 and suse)
chaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 07:04 AM   #2
eof

Default alsa sound driver

Hola,

Have you tried the Alsa sound driver? I've just checked if the Surround L/R audio Connnector works with Alsa 0.90rc8 (Asus A7N8X mother board) . Seems ok, so if you have the mixer setting "Duplicate Front" checked you can test this analog output with regular stereo source (xmms, etc). Then use the Surround slider for volume.

But then maybe that's not what you were looking for.
eof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 08:11 AM   #3
chaghi

Quote:
Have you tried the Alsa sound driver?
Yes, I have.
But that's not the problem. I managed to get 5.1 analog aoutput with both alsa and nvaudio drivers.

But now I've found this "ASUS" drivers. And asus says that the nvidia drivers don't work for my mobo, and that's not really true...

So I'm trying to find out if anybody has tryied out this *asus* drivers, and if anybody knows wich differences them have compared to the nvidia ones.
chaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 10:40 PM   #4
SnapIT

Don't expect either driver to be bug free... nvidia (and yes, the asus driver is based off the nvidia driver) does not aim for stability, they aim for having a driver for linux that works, somewhat...

That said, why not try the asus driver, you can uninstall it and reinstall the nvidia driver if it worked better...

Don't forget to post your experiences... It might help others...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote