Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-11, 08:29 AM   #1
TheTaz

Default New Graphics Technology for games

I'm posting this in the Rumors forum since it's not released yet.

See what you think of this company's claims:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAb...layer_embedded

Personally, I'll believe it when I see a major developer creating a game with it... until then, I think it's mostly BS.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 09:26 AM   #2
walterman
Rayne

Default Re: New Graphics Technology for games

Reminds me about Lucid Hydra technology a couple of years ago. Prolly this is something that we are never going to see.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 05:17 PM   #3
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Quote:
It’s a scam!
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam
Old 08-02-11, 07:58 PM   #4
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Yeah... I thought it smelt fishy.

Thanks for the info and link!
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 08:57 PM   #5
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz View Post
Yeah... I thought it smelt fishy.

Thanks for the info and link!
Hmmm.. Shame if it is a scam. If it actually uses Voxels instead of the technique they describe then that definitely is misleading at the least. However...

Anybody remember the Delta Force series of games from Novalogic? The games used a... ::drum roll:: ... Voxel based game engine!! The terrain was very expansive. No game at the time (I think the original game was released in 1997/1998 time frame...) came close to the distances involved in that game. Awesome gunfights took place over vast distances that are only now being replicated. According to a Wikilink article, typical maps were... 1 km squared as the article talked about. Apparently the memory usage may not be as bad as that article said?

The Delta Force series of games used voxel for terrain and polygons for characters and buildings. The problem was video cards couldn't accelerate voxels. So, practically all CPU power was used to draw the graphics. The result was the graphics weren't all that great and some people may say they even sucked relative to the games at the time. However, they sure played smooth and were fun as could be thanks to the possibilities the vast terrain offered; it was amazing and awesomely fun the tactics that were developed for online play across the hilly terrain. Later sequals of the game accelerated the buildings and players on the vid card but the graphics just never got to the detail of other games available at the time during the later sequal releases, such as the original Ghost Recon as a comparison. One interesting by-product of Voxes, if I recall correctly, was due to their nature jagged edges weren't as bad/numerous compared to polygons. This meant a lot of vid card power didn't have to be used on AA techniques (tricks?) which allows that power to be used for other stuff.

The potential for some NICE terrain using voxel is there and I do hope it becomes possible to accelerate Voxel graphics with the vid card soon. Check this demo out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sfWY...eature=related

Be sure to watch it in HD resolution. It's not bad folks. Take this stuff and combine it with Raytracing in the years to come... watch out!!
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 12:18 AM   #6
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
Hmmm.. Shame if it is a scam. If it actually uses Voxels instead of the technique they describe then that definitely is misleading at the least.
Actually this one uses point clouds, not voxels.
They have been promoting their tech for a while now and this is first time it looks halfway decent.

Personally I have more faith on voxel based engines, but this might work as well for static environments.
Sparse voxel octrees can be directly used for collisions which is a big win against this tech, I wonder how you would do efficent collisions to a point clouds.

Also Voxels lend itself very nicely for pre filtered geometry and thus nice smooth objects, shadows and reflections.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 11:43 AM   #7
cmsmith

Yeah. What little I know about two technologies and based on what I saw out of Voxel in the Deltra Force games, I'm hoping Voxel wins out.
Old 08-03-11, 12:19 PM   #8
cmsmith

You know, I just had a thought: what do CGI in movies, particularly the Avatars of the world, use?

Old 08-03-11, 04:04 PM   #9
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
You know, I just had a thought: what do CGI in movies, particularly the Avatars of the world, use?
Polygons and raytracing. Games use polygons but with a Z-buffer pipeline.
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 04:28 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Awesome, thanks for the link. I didn't think it was new but I should have researched it a bit.

This video is older and just as impressive lol.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 09:43 PM   #11
cmsmith

Hmmm... If the movies are using Polygons, then perhaps we should stick to polys then? That stuff looks fantastic in the movies. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.
Old 08-04-11, 12:25 AM   #12
Ninja Prime

Probably we should stick to polys for a while, because both of those voxel and point could models require ridiculous amounts of storage for a reasonable sized game world. We're talking like your typical FPS game will need 100s of gigabytes to do something that you could have done with polys in 10 gigabytes.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote