Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-11, 09:01 AM   #1
gonzo_s

Default NVidia and recent 3.0.x Kernels

Well, I wrote about it already on this forum. Today I've found out my problem at last:

After compiling the kernel I always delete the sources, install the kernel and reboot into it in order to install NVidia drivers. It worked for me like a charm with all previous kernel versions until now actually (the packages were portable and I could bring them to my work and install them there without issues).

But with 3.0.x kernel branch I cannot compile the driver if I delete the sources prior to it. All I get is the following error:

Quote:
ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
But today I decided to give it another try and didn't delete the sources. And... voila! I was able to install the NVidia driver.

The question is: what has changed in the recent kernel ? I'm a bit confused. Is it possible that NVidia driver somehow fails to detect the right path to kernel headers with recent kernels ?

Thank you in advance, NVidia team!
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 02:53 PM   #2
lexa2

Send a message via ICQ to lexa2 Send a message via Skype™ to lexa2
Default Re: NVidia and recent 3.0.x Kernels

While you're waiting for them to answer you could try to debug the problem yourself. /var/log/nvidia-installer.log contains a lot info about what might went wrong. strace is your another friend.

Also, do you install kernel headers along with the kernel? It was always perfectly possible to install only the kernel binary and modules (actually modules are also not a requirement) and left headers behind. Check twice that you've got headers installed and have symlink to them in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build and /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source.
lexa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 03:35 PM   #3
gonzo_s

I'm not that fool as you might have thought
Actually that's the only info in the installer log. And yes, I always get two packages after compiling the kernel. Then I do:
Code:
# dpkg -i *.deb
It has worked for me for ages.

=========

Лёха, я не настолько дурак все таки. Прикол именно в присутствии исходников ядра. Если они остались, то все компилится. Если я их удаляю после компиляции, то драйвер не ставится. Такого никогда не было раньше.
Old 10-21-11, 03:47 PM   #4
towo|

Check which target is shown if you do

ls -ld /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
towo| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 05:32 PM   #5
lexa2

Send a message via ICQ to lexa2 Send a message via Skype™ to lexa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_s View Post
I'm not that fool as you might have thought
Actually that's the only info in the installer log. And yes, I always get two packages after compiling the kernel. Then I do:
Code:
# dpkg -i *.deb
It has worked for me for ages.
It should work then. What about strace, had you tried to use it over nVIDIA driver installer? It might help you to get an idea what's going on inside there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_s View Post
Лёха, я не настолько дурак все таки. Прикол именно в присутствии исходников ядра. Если они остались, то все компилится. Если я их удаляю после компиляции, то драйвер не ставится. Такого никогда не было раньше.
Ну чего сразу дурак то :-)? Я ж не знаю уровень юзера, который по ту сторону экрана жалобы на форум пишет. Практика показывает, что 9 из 10 обычно оказываются... хм, не, не "дураками", но, скажем так, "не очень подготовленными" :-). Я так понимаю, ты собираешь ядро на основе взятого откуда-то (вероятно, из тестового репозитория дебиана) deb-пакета, а не из ванильных исходников? Строго говоря тут могут быть две точки "отказа": либо src.deb пакет сделан криво и заголовочные файлы для 3.х упаковывает неправильно, либо инсталятор драйвера nVIDIA не подготовлен к существованию ядер с версиями 3.х. Второе вероятнее, разумеется.

Таки, что у тебя творится с точными путями. А то ты так и не ответил, устанавливается ли символическая ссылка на папку с хедерами в /lib/modules. Ну и по "стиранию исходников" - я, собственно, deb ни разу в жизни не пересобирал, всё как-то LTS/bsd-way придерживался, да по работе RPM баловался. Соответственно, не в курсе, как происходит сборка deb из сырцов. Они что, куда-то в /usr/src/linux пихают исходники в процессе сборки и собирают прямо там "по месту"?
lexa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 05:52 PM   #6
Dizzle7677

I've had the same problem with my custom kernels. I link /build and /source to the kernel source folder(where I built it from) and it works fine compiling kernel modules otherwise it's a no-go pointing it to the /usr/src/*headers* directory. With generic kernels and headers from ubuntu you can build the driver modules pointed to the /usr/src/*header* directory so something must be off somewhere either in kernel-package or somewhere else. Haven't deeply investigated where the problem lies or done a side by side look at the generic-headers versus custom-header packages to see what's different yet.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 04:31 AM   #7
gonzo_s

lexa2: Yes, the links in /lib/modules are pointing to the kernell headers just fine like always.

Anyway, I will try to relink them to the source dir as Dizzle said because there are really some problems (whether it's the kernel-package fault or the NVIdia's).