Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-02, 04:47 AM   #1
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob
Default Linux

I've posted here since I havn't got it but it doesn't matter if it has to be moved.
What advantages are there over Windows? I have XP and have had no problems so far. My system:
AthlonXP 1800
MSI K7N420-PRO (nforce with onboard graphics)
56k modem
SB Audigy
CD-writer
DVD drive

Is it easy to install and how much does it usually cost?
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 07:16 AM   #2
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

I have no idea

but I hope it is the future. If Linux becomes the (edit:[r] OC[/r] not oc- but OS - it seems that my hand defaults to OC [/edit]) OS of choice that will mean that finally all aspects of a PC will become "commoditised" and we will get some HELTHY competition in that area, - better prices - more choice - and all the rest that is associated with nice free market economy/ as opposed to a monopoly.

As far as I know (and I don't know too much). Linuks can be used for normal office biz/ but the lack of entertainment - read GAMES- and optimal hardware drivers for the platform is the main problem. -

Last edited by druga runda; 08-06-02 at 01:16 PM.
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 07:40 AM   #3
PCarr78

The only one I see is customizability and bloat-free-ness.

You can compile the kernel with whatever options you want, so it's possible to have a very streamlined OS. You can also change the UI however you want.

Also, the stability is a little higher than XP, but it's pretty much the same as win2k.

It's a good OS for slower computers
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 08:56 AM   #4
CN_

Default the dream of being free...

tux just means: being free
no spyware
no m$-registration-suckage

but you should know how to work with the console
i read an ebook before i installed linux

if you understand german ;D
read this: http://www.linuxfibel.de
or die("go to a shop and buy a book");
Old 08-06-02, 09:06 AM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

General Linux discussions I won't move...

Last edited by Matthyahuw; 08-06-02 at 10:40 AM.
Matthyahuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 09:12 AM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

If you've never touched operating systems running Unix you'll have a very steep learning curve ahead of you, especially if you want to have all your hardware working properly.

Linux is not easy, nor are there nearly as many games available (unless you strictly play Q3A and UT).

It has the obvious advantage of being able to streamline the OS for your hardware and your hardware only. It's also fast and very secure. If you want to get your hands dirty in Linux, try it on a separate machine from your main box. Then once you're comfortable with it, you can dual-boot your main machine.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 01:19 PM   #7
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Couldn't you in theory have a stable setup on a set of hardware and use it for business purposes only without knowing any fancy Unix commands, etc. (if someone else installed it for you), and not change the hardaware - just use the programs that you need.

- Question - does Linux based machine give any better FPS compared to Win 2000/XP on the same hardware?
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 04:10 PM   #8
The Baron

FPS is usually worse due to either emulation of Windows (WineX) or less polished drivers... but it's getting there.

Basically, you run Linux if you're running a server. It's not great for desktops, I'll be honest. But if you need a machine that absolutely positively CANNOT GO DOWN, Linux is the only way to go.

Old 08-07-02, 05:56 PM   #9
lunix

Send a message via MSN to lunix

Thanks Matthyahuw for not moving. As far as FPS goes it would seem as though Linux is slightly faster. But I am sure either system could win with proper tuning.
Mosty its a matter of page flipping and in which resolutions the Linux drivers support it. Also its coupled with the fact that the Linux kernel is very small tight and efficient so background tasks do not detract from performance like they do under windows.

Bibliography:
http://www.evil3d.net/articles/linux...p/?page=4.php3
Old 08-08-02, 05:00 AM   #10
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

I've got a spare HD so I might put it in and try Linux.
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-02, 12:30 AM   #11
zippermcfrag
measure twice cut once

Linux gives you an option to use somthing other than Windows. Linux is better the only problem is most software is made for windows. If the government gets mircosoft to make office avaliable to other OS's I think Linux could realy take off.
Radeon 9700 pro
Pinnacle PCTV
zippermcfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 01:35 PM   #12
de><ta
prodigy

-its free, no more paying $300 or upgrading to newer version of os's

-its customizable, if u are pateint and have experience with C or even better Assembly u can compile ur own Kernel core, u can change it to cooperative layered threading etc U can twig it without being litigated by MS

-its opensource, "for the ppl, by the ppl" so ppl who are passionate about it program it, not some Joe bob who has done a MSCE course who gets hired by MS

-its very reliable, probably due to the layered nature in which the OS is set up. If one component fails it still manages while the same is not true for winx based systems

-its robust, can cope with extensive simulations and makes full use of ur underlying native hardware Not something which MS says u have to have etc.

CON:
-u need to know unix based systems their operation procedures etc.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote