Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-11, 01:37 PM   #1
Gregor976

Default I love my new 55" LG passive 3d HDTV... but

EDIT: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ is a great place to start figuring out calibration as is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496. "Thanks Hogrider"

---------My original rambling post below-------------

I had begun to wonder if I needed to start sacrificing small animals to finally gain the favor of the codec/renderer/device driver gods in order for the audio and video to actually be in sync when playing 3d Blu-rays on the PC using PowerDVD 11 at 24p.

It seems that the newest version of ReClock 1.8.7.7 (June 06, 2011)at default settings does the trick.

If anyone has trouble with a/v sync when running 24p, then give ReClock a try. "Direct Link"

I don't think I'll ever go back to active 3d, passive 3d TVs are great tech already and they will only improve, no doubt glasses free 3d will be next though. Also, when using an LG HDTV for a PC monitor, don't forget to set the HDMI input name for your PC to "PC" to totally get rid of input lag when gaming.

This 55lw5300 has great color, gamma and b/w levels and contrast. The controls are capable of a pretty fine calibration. I had wondered about the 'Local Dimming' on a LED edge lit display(as opposed to 'Local Dimming' on a display with LED full array lighting), but it seems to work pretty well in -most- situations.

The 'fake' 3d effect for converting regular 2d to something approximating 3d is also pretty promising. Though I actually prefer the fake 3d effect of PowerDVD 11 to that of the TV's. (Heh, at least since I finally got the a/v synch problems tamed.)

We got 4 pairs of those (really light) polarized LG glasses with the set and we already had 8 or 9 of the Real3d glasses from going to the movies, so we're set for 3d Glasses. Now it's -really- not a big deal if our (all too human) relatives and friends accidentally destroy them.

I'm just liking this cheap set a lot. The first thing we watched on it was "IMAX Under The Sea 3D" and it was really an excellent example of 3d with which to test. I had worried that the passive 3d would be lacking, but I was completely wowed. It's extremely bright and colorful with blacks that are practically indistinguishable from the black bezel in a dark room. It feels like you could just reach out and scratch that cod under the chin as it swims toward you right in the middle of your gaming/theater room.

Last edited by Gregor976; 01-29-12 at 01:44 PM.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 04:01 PM   #2
frenchy2k1

Default Re: I love my new 55" LG passive 3d HDTV... but

My problem with passive 3D is the loss of resolution, as half of the fields are displayed for each eye.
This is the new interlace.

This is probably quite sufficient for movies, but i'm not sure I would like it for PC usage.
Old 12-28-11, 05:09 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
My problem with passive 3D is the loss of resolution, as half of the fields are displayed for each eye.
When will people stop believing that...

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...-passive-3d-tv

Quote:
Next, while tackling the topic of whether FPR’s “half-resolution” passive 3D provides lower-quality imagery than active 3D, Soneira discovered a surprising result: despite using “just” 540 horizontal lines for each eye, passive 3D still provided “full 1080p” resolution — and better yet, rather unintuitively, passive 3D produces sharper images than active 3D. Soneira gives a complex explanation for why this is so, but it basically boils down to a neurological process called image fusion, or, in other words, “active 3D TVs might sound like they have higher specs, but in practical use, our brains prefer passive 3D.”
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 12:55 AM   #4
Gregor976

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post

This is probably quite sufficient for movies, but i'm not sure I would like it for PC usage.
I can read specs all day, but until you put them side by side and see the brighter/crisper/flicker free picture on the passive set you won't understand.

If you want to talk about an interlaced picture or really go retro and see a flicka show, then I'd have to say that active shutter glasses are closer to that. I have loved using active shutter glasses, and watching each generation getting better and better with less noticeable flicker. There is a lot of variation between different active shutter setups and some overcome the dimness better than others. I can tune it out, I can even forget about it, but I'm one of those cursed people who -always- see flicker at 60Hz. That is just not enough per eye. It's tons better than it used to be at 60Hz/eye, but still not quite enough.

This passive set has no flicker. None. Nada. The glasses with this passive set are light enough that you'll completely forget you have them on if you're already used to wearing glasses. The brightness, color saturation, and contrast of the TV completely overcomes the slight tinting the polarized glasses cause.

You're looking at those numbers and you can't quite believe me I'm sure. Been there, done that. You probably can't even detect the flicker on your active setup. If you put the active and passive sets side by side and watch scenes from the same movie, going back and forth between the two you will soon notice that you have just been overcoming that flicker effect. The thing is it's just like overcoming a bad smell. You just get accustomed to it after a while until you take a break and breath a little fresh air for a bit and go back into it. Then you know it's still there.

I know what the specs are and I know what the experience has been for me. Although it seems "unintuitive" (as Roadhog's article said) it's true. Something about the passive system has that analogue feel, like vinyl has that analogue sound. I understand that analogue sound is lossless and it's a poor analogy. I'm just telling you what it felt like to me going from active shutter to passive.

I think that even though we are still watching 24FPS movies and 60FPS games with both 3d techs, I think the brain likes it better when both eyes are seeing those FPS at the same time rather than l/r/l/r/l/r/l/r.

I do miss the rez when 3d gaming, even though I run with twice the AA, but the feel is still better.

I love it when there are competing technologies, especially when there is room for both because they're compatible! One upping each other with each generation inching closer and closer to that elusive perfection which is just on the horizon.

Maybe active shutter just needs a slightly higher refresh per eye? We're more likely to see if that's the case, now that there is some competition. Then maybe we will see higher res passive or glasses free sets using familiar tech or new tech entirely. It will still be stereo-vision 3d, because that's how we see the world.

Win, win, win. 3d is finally becoming mainstream.

Now I want my fracking holodeck. A flying car might be nice too, but I digress..
Old 12-29-11, 01:17 AM   #5
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Yeah, passive 3d is the way to go. Active tech is out dated and needs to die already.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 04:59 AM   #6
XDanger
Whaaat?

can you (theoretically) have two different TV channels on the same screen with passive? If so has anyone achieved it yet?

My idea btw (if anyone already had the same idea well that's just fine but my thoughts are independent, just like my idea for play by wire gaming/computing)
Old 12-31-11, 11:07 AM   #7
Gregor976

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you don't mean PIP. You'd have to use different glasses if I'm understanding you correctly, otherwise you'd see one channel with your left eye and one with your right eye. If that's what you mean, I'm still not seeing the point.

Theoretically 2 people could use one TV as 2 separate 2d screens at the same time. One using a pair of glasses with 2 left lenses and one using a pair with 2 right lenses. It would be simple to achieve using the split screen method and just turning on the tv's SBS or T/B 3d mode.

Ghosting is negligible when looking at a 3d scene, but I think it would be more apparent using the TV to use 2 separate video streams.

LOL, KK, just did it using SBS method using 2 separate video players MPC and KMplayer. Just turned off aspect ratio and stretched them each to fit one side of the screen and turned on SBS on the TV. You can see the ghosting when watching different movies this way, but it is very mild, looks almost like a very slight reflection in the screen.

I could imagine 2 people gaming or watching 2 separate full screen 16/9 shows on a single monitor using this method, but even a minimum amount of ghosting would make this less than ideal. It's simple enough to have the respective audio streams go to different devices, say HDMI for one and speakers for the other, then both could use headphones.

Is this what you mean?
Old 12-31-11, 01:11 PM   #8
XDanger
Whaaat?

Yes, but not on either side of the screen but each signal on the whole screen but different eye.

The glasses are cheap enough to have 3 different types laying around.

Hopefully the ghosting problem can be overcome.

NO MORE ARGUMENTS ON WHO GETS TO USE THE BIG TV!!!

Comment like "there are none in my house..." expected.

Old 12-31-11, 01:41 PM   #9
Gregor976

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Yes, but not on either side of the screen but each signal on the whole screen but different eye.

The glasses are cheap enough to have 3 different types laying around.

Hopefully the ghosting problem can be overcome.

NO MORE ARGUMENTS ON WHO GETS TO USE THE BIG TV!!!

Comment like "there are none in my house..." expected.
When you turn on SBS 3d mode it makes each side a full size picture. That was just the easiest method to test.

I used 2 video players. Could just as easily have been 2 different TV channels. All it would take is a multichannel tuner and the software, to do it another way.
Old 12-31-11, 02:22 PM   #10
JasonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
When will people stop believing that...

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...-passive-3d-tv
My parents got a cheap Vizio set that use basically the same passive 3d tech as the LGs and I was completely wowed by the fact that it's half the vertical resolution. I thought there would be massive flickering and jagged edges from being interlaced, but I could NOT at all tell the difference from full 1080p. I read the consumer reports review of the screen and they complained about the interlacing. But I swear I could not at all figure out what they were going on about. Cheap glasses, affordable set, no headaches. Not sure you could ask for more from passive 3d. This is definitely 3d for the masses. When 3d becomes natively implemented in directx 11.1 I may get into it. I see HP now makes a 23" passive 3d monitor...
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 11:37 PM   #11
Muppet

For a TV, passive is the only way to go. Otherwise glasses are just to expensive, if you need at least 4 pairs. That's not to mention, friends and what not.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 02:37 PM   #12
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

My TV came with 4 sets of active glasses. Samsung sell additional sets for $35 each for rechargeable ones. Not sure why everyone complains about price. Still passive sounds like it's the way forward. It wasn't out when I got my TV over a year ago.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote