Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-11, 12:45 PM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps
 
Vanzagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,167
Default Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Just about to order 2x GTX570 SLI, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supercloc.../dp/B004EYSMGW

NewEgg is out of order again for evga 570gtx cards... again...

Couple questions when upgrading from GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI:

1. Should I be uninstalling all my current video drivers? If so what's the best way to clean my system of my old vid card drivers without doing a fresh install? I know when I tried to do this in the past it was a significant pain and I recall people mentioning uninstallers, but I have no clue which ones to use. Any advice on this is appreciated...

2. For the cards I ordered I heard that they don't come with the SLI bridges, if not can I use the bridge I have for my GTX260 or which bridge should I buy?

Thanks,

Vanz

ps. getting ready for Skyrim
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 12:53 PM   #2
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

What I'd do.. Uninstall drivers, shut-down and swap cards, reinstall. Your existing bridge should be fine. Enjoy the cards buddy

You selling the 260's? They make for perfect PhysX cards. When I upgraded from SLI's 260's I kept one and am still using it. Great cards.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 01:01 PM   #3
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps
 
Vanzagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
What I'd do.. Uninstall drivers, shut-down and swap cards, reinstall. Your existing bridge should be fine. Enjoy the cards buddy

You selling the 260's? They make for perfect PhysX cards. When I upgraded from SLI's 260's I kept one and am still using it. Great cards.
Oh hey, never thought of that, thanks Revs... My power supply is only 1000W, think it will support 2 gtx570 + gtx260 + 5 hard drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139007

Looks like my mobo won't support 3 cards...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128498
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 04:57 PM   #4
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps
 
Vanzagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Hmmm that's cool, placed my order, then check back about 2 hours later and the card went up by about $70.00 each (now $438.38) ... nice...

Items Ordered Price
2 of: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1572-AR [Personal Computers]
Condition: New
Sold by: CircuitCity (seller profile)
$369.99


Item(s) Subtotal: $739.98
Shipping & Handling: $8.41
-----
Total Before Tax: $748.39
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----
Total for This Shipment: $748.39
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 05:22 AM   #5
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Pity about the lack of slottage. Post pics when you've swapped
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 01:02 PM   #6
frenchy2k1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 449
Default Re: Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
1. Should I be uninstalling all my current video drivers? If so what's the best way to clean my system of my old vid card drivers without doing a fresh install? I know when I tried to do this in the past it was a significant pain and I recall people mentioning uninstallers, but I have no clue which ones to use. Any advice on this is appreciated...
If you are running with a recent driver (same you would use for your GTX570), then nothing is needed. Since version 270, nvidia drivers are very robust to card changes. Card would just be recognized correctly at next boot up.

If you were using an older driver, just uninstall using the nvidia installer in the control panel, then install the new one after you switch the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
2. For the cards I ordered I heard that they don't come with the SLI bridges, if not can I use the bridge I have for my GTX260 or which bridge should I buy?
Cards never come with SLI bridge, it's supposed to be packaged with the motherboard (as this is what sets the bridge size). Any bridge that fits (right size for the motherboard) is fine (no difference in SLI bridge since the first ones).
__________________
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...
frenchy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.