Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-11, 10:52 AM   #421
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Official Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Thread (PC version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
so who else has not bared a thought for BF3 since Skyrim.
Me! I got on for like 5 seconds to show a friend yesterday, and he was like meh lets just play skyrim.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 10:54 AM   #422
Maverick123w

I have to say, this game somehow managed to live up to if not surpass my expectations. I've played for over 30 hours and haven't even spoken to the greybeards yet lol. I'm loving this game so much.
Old 11-16-11, 11:35 AM   #423
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I have to say, this game somehow managed to live up to if not surpass my expectations. I've played for over 30 hours and haven't even spoken to the greybeards yet lol. I'm loving this game so much.
This. Despite having seen countless breathtaking views I'm still constantly just staring at things in amazement.

Monday after skyping with the wife, I started back playing at 10 pm. a "while" later I had to get up and go pee and decided that I was at a good stopping place anyways. Casually glance over at clock... 1:45 am

ಠ_ಠ
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 11:44 AM   #424
Redeemed

lol

So I cannot access my company's e-payroll website which means I cannot send Bethesda a copy of my pay stub which means I cannot get my free copy of Skyrim!

Gotta' call some 1-800 number to get my e-payroll account straightened out then I'll be able to shoot Bethesda a copy of my paystub.

In the mean time, just bought Oblivion GOTY on Steam for $6.24. Have the DVD of it but prefer a digital copy. This will have to keep me busy till I can get my copy of Skyrim.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 12:09 PM   #425
Zenoth

I've had about four or five CTDs so far, after 30+ hours in my game. I remember the first crash took about seven hours in my game before it occurred. The longer the game session is, and I think the better the odds of getting a CTD become. I'm playing with the default .INIs being created by the game when it launches, so it's vanilla. I just clicked on Ultra settings and that's it, nothing else. My system isn't over-clocked either, everything runs at stock speed and voltages, my audio and video drivers are official ones, and up to date. Additionally the video/driver settings in my NVIDIA control panel are all set to application-controlled, and the rest is also on default to avoid any conflicts.

To be honest, I think that however "stable" anyone's PC would be, Skyrim is too big and complex to not CTD a few times here and there. Having a "perfectly stable" PC (that's also debatable) still doesn't change the fact that CTDs caused by the software itself may and will surely happen. Seriously just think about the massive amount of things going on at the same time, there's bound to be minor bugs and CTDs alike every now and then. My recommendations for a "somewhat stable" (since I don't believe Skyrim itself is perfectly stable) gaming session is of course to run the PC without over-clocks to start with. Run the official and up to date drivers, and try not to exaggerate any custom tweaks in the .INI files.
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
PSU: Corsair TX750W
APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 01:02 PM   #426
shilk

Holy crap!

UberMap

Download it here.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=145

I freakin LOVE the modding community.
Old 11-16-11, 01:06 PM   #427
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Some Skyrim Q and A:

1. From a distance and outside towns how can you tell a bad guy from a good guy? I nailed a dude on a path in the forest in the head with an arrow, then ran up to him and was going to stab him when I notice I could talk to him... I almost killed him by accident. I like being able to sneak around and shoot people with arrows so running up to them and seeing if they are a bad guy is not my preferred method for my uber assassin character...

2. Is there any symbol or way to tell which weapon requires 2 hands, other than actually trying it out?

3. Can I sort my inventory from heaviest to lightest so I can see the heavy hitters that are effecting my carrying capacity?

4. Heavy armor vs Light... thoughts? I'm using light, basically so I can run away from tough battles, I like to play the game in a way that I try to NEVER die (my character is lvl 17 so far and has not died yet). So I run away quite often from battles but I'm thinking the heavy armour will give me better protection and I noticed at lvl 70 it doesn't hinder you, whereas light armor doesn't hinder at lvl 50. I'm over lvl 50 and 5 perks into light armor, think I should switch to heavy?

5. I really don't find a significant reason to upgrade stamina over health or magik. Sure it's kinda useful when blocking or running but if I have to choose between health and stamina, I find I'm always picking health, what am I missing here... my stamina is still at 100 and I still don't feel like I really need to increase it (other than I don't seem to really understand it's usefulness)?

6. I haven't bought a house yet but if I plunk down that kind of money and then go to another city can I sell that house?

7. Is there anywhere I can get the contents of the in game books offline? I really don't like reading them while I'm playing (I'd rather be doing sh*t), but I wouldn't mind reading them at night on the sofa or bed...

8. I'm running 2 570gtx card in SLI, one goes up to like 74C and the other hovers around 66C, I'm wondering if I don't have it fully enabled, I'm pretty sure I have all the options for SLI selected in the nvidia control panel for the skyrim executable, anyone else seeing uneven card temps in SLI mode?

9. My companion chick looks like she's armored out visually, but in her inventory I don't see anything, should I being giving her armour? Can I see her armor and attack strength anywhere?

Thanks,

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 01:19 PM   #428
Sean_W

The FXAA PP injector is nice and makes the game look not washed out. This is the sort of thing I was hoping for. There are some great mods already!
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-11, 04:08 PM   #429
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Some Skyrim Q and A:

1. From a distance and outside towns how can you tell a bad guy from a good guy? I nailed a dude on a path in the forest in the head with an arrow, then ran up to him and was going to stab him when I notice I could talk to him... I almost killed him by accident. I like being able to sneak around and shoot people with arrows so running up to them and seeing if they are a bad guy is not my preferred method for my uber assassin character...
Same issue. infact just last play session I was in a dungion with a companion and he was following. I am a stealthy range/rogue type so I sneak into rooms and line up a shot. This one room I agrod a guy I couldn't see up top so I sat with the bow drawn waiting for him to come down to me. I see 2-3 guys and let em have it, about 3-4 bow shots later I find out one of them was my companion who teleported up and then ran back. He was none to happy let me tell ya.

So yea outside I have pretty much just been running up to people mounted for easy escape if they are agro.
Quote:
2. Is there any symbol or way to tell which weapon requires 2 hands, other than actually trying it out?
You just gotta know your naming conventions on swords and axes.
Quote:
3. Can I sort my inventory from heaviest to lightest so I can see the heavy hitters that are effecting my carrying capacity?
Lol, inventory organization in a bethesda game?
Quote:

4. Heavy armor vs Light... thoughts? I'm using light, basically so I can run away from tough battles, I like to play the game in a way that I try to NEVER die (my character is lvl 17 so far and has not died yet). So I run away quite often from battles but I'm thinking the heavy armour will give me better protection and I noticed at lvl 70 it doesn't hinder you, whereas light armor doesn't hinder at lvl 50. I'm over lvl 50 and 5 perks into light armor, think I should switch to heavy?
The armor type directly impacts how successful your sneak is and your chance of being heard when stealthed. So if you use any stealth you need to use light armors. I am still unsure what the light-medium armor threshold is, hopefully when we see some faqs soon.
Quote:
5. I really don't find a significant reason to upgrade stamina over health or magik. Sure it's kinda useful when blocking or running but if I have to choose between health and stamina, I find I'm always picking health, what am I missing here... my stamina is still at 100 and I still don't feel like I really need to increase it (other than I don't seem to really understand it's usefulness)?
You havn't learned about power attacks yet then. When you hold down the attack button, you will do a powerful attack that will consume your stamina meter. Someone who hasn't put much upgrades into stamina will only get 2-3 attacks from it before depleating it, and its a slow enough regen that you can't afford to wait for it to replenish in the same battle.
Old 11-16-11, 04:24 PM   #430
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
You havn't learned about power attacks yet then. When you hold down the attack button, you will do a powerful attack that will consume your stamina meter. Someone who hasn't put much upgrades into stamina will only get 2-3 attacks from it before depleating it, and its a slow enough regen that you can't afford to wait for it to replenish in the same battle.
As well as each rank in Stamina allows you to carry 5lbs more (or is it 10lbs?). Very useful if you like carrying a lot of crap with you.
Old 11-16-11, 05:08 PM   #431
Sean_W

1. Get hit by a giant and bounce of the ground into the sky, LOL.

2. The one hit one kill system is stupid.

3. Chunks of scenery load quiet near even on ultra and waterfalls don't animated sometimes until you get near to them.

3. Dragon animations looks like kites being controlled on a wire.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 05:13 PM   #432
Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Get hit by a giant and bounce of the ground into the sky, LOL. I also think the one hit one kill is stupid
What are you like level 5?