Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-03, 10:51 AM   #1
DrRambo

Default Driver feature request

Hi,

I'd like to thank you for supporting linux this much... but could you take a step further and allow this driver to be used as an accelerated frame buffer driver?
my geforce2 MX200 32 MB runs fine in redhat 8.0 with these drivers including opengl.
however while playing with directfb (very nice, upcoming X replacement IMHO) I tried to use the kernel's builtin framebuffer driver and the card refused to switch to any resolution higher than 640x480. If I forced it the screen goes blank and I have to reset my computer.
I get high resoutions (1024x768 tested) in vesa 2.0 framebuffer mode but with display corruption when fast scrolling text (compiling something for example).
So could you please take this into consideration?
thanx again.
DrRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 08:53 PM   #2
Moled
cheese

an official nvidia fb driver would be VERY VERY nice
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 10:16 PM   #3
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Moled
an official nvidia fb driver would be VERY VERY nice
An official nvidia fb driver would be OSS, it will never happen...

And considering the overall buggyness of the nvidia drivers, think about it, you reboot and cannot get into text mode?

Be careful what you wish for....

Let's just hope that nvidia gets their thumbs out and starts to work on the already released drivers, they are filled with bugs so maybe, just maybe, if they skip new features for a while, they will be able to release a driver that is useful for everyone?

Last edited by SnapIT; 08-22-03 at 10:19 PM.
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 01:34 PM   #4
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default framebuffer

Quote:
An official nvidia fb driver would be OSS, it will never happen...
why do you say that ? any special reason why it could not exist a binary only nvidia framebuffer ? i havent given it much thought , but i think it could happend

about the booting to text mode , you can boot into text mode, than manually modprobe rivafb , and be in framebuffer.

Quote:
And considering the overall buggyness of the nvidia drivers
agree ... if they cant make a stable X driver , imagine a X driver and a frame buffer driver. Maybe its better to just stick with X
Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 08:08 PM   #5
SnapIT

Default Re: framebuffer

Quote:
Originally posted by Yagami
why do you say that ? any special reason why it could not exist a binary only nvidia framebuffer ? i havent given it much thought , but i think it could happend

about the booting to text mode , you can boot into text mode, than manually modprobe rivafb , and be in framebuffer.

agree ... if they cant make a stable X driver , imagine a X driver and a frame buffer driver. Maybe its better to just stick with X
Because a fb driver would need to be integrated with the kernel code, or it would have to be a monster module of code that is separate but does take into consideration the different options in the kernel...

An fb driver isn't just a module, it is compiled as a function in the kernel, you could probably get around it by replacing the older riva fb driver with a newer module (not to be compiled with the kernel though), but to do that you would need to examine EVERY SINGLE LINE of code in the kernel and bypass the guarantees of stability that a stable kernel may offer... And i am still not convinced that the GNU license would allow such a scheme...

You definently have the right thought, getting non OSS code as part of what makes the basic functions work (input and output) would be a bad thing...
Old 08-23-03, 09:48 PM   #6
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default framebuffer

yeah , i guess making a framebuffer module would be complicated.

though look how they created the X driver , where they implemented a whole dri by themselfs.

it seems that nvidias problems all end at the same issue.

is it fair to say that for the sake of nvidia , X continues to be the standard display , and that Xdirectfb (directfb) never become popular ?
Old 08-24-03, 11:22 AM   #7
DrRambo

Default why so complicated?

is it really this complicated?
I mean all that is needed is some info from nvidia about how to deal with the card's bios (generally).. and then someone would probably use it to fix the experimental driver included in the kernel.
The thought of a frame buffer module is strange.. the kernel is supposed to open the display in framebuffer mode right from the begininng.
DrRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-03, 04:02 PM   #8
Yagami

Default complicated

Quote:
s it really this complicated?
I mean all that is needed is some info from nvidia about how to deal with the card's bios (generally).. and then someone would probably use it to fix the experimental driver included in the kernel.
oohhhhhh ok .... lets make a framebuffer kernel driver then !

seriouslly ... you are new in here ( at least logged ) so , you probably dont know that there will never be accelarated open drivers .

what you said is what you already have i am not certain but i think that is what the current open framebuffer driver use , its just the bios. ( and it is vesa compliant )

Quote:
The thought of a frame buffer module is strange.. the kernel is supposed to open the display in framebuffer mode right from the begininng.
no it isnt.that how i use it.. i boot into text mode , and then load the framebuffer module. when i load the module , it switchs to framebuffer.

Old 08-24-03, 10:52 PM   #9
SnapIT

Default Re: framebuffer

Quote:
Originally posted by Yagami
yeah , i guess making a framebuffer module would be complicated.

though look how they created the X driver , where they implemented a whole dri by themselfs.

it seems that nvidias problems all end at the same issue.

is it fair to say that for the sake of nvidia , X continues to be the standard display , and that Xdirectfb (directfb) never become popular ?
There is a lot of difference between creating an X driver and a fb module...

It is fair to say that Xdirectfb is at best an experiment still, developers have working drivers for the Wildcat and ATI cards, but the question is, is the drivers actually that useable when we have a fully supported standard in OGL via XFree86?

I don't think you realize the difference between the standard fb driver (which is strictly 2d rendering) and the build on modules that nvidia among others creates to be loaded as modules and not an integrated part of the kernel... It takes a helluvalot more to create a working 3d fb driver than to have a base loaded with the kernel (which could have been excluded too)...

For the sake of nvidia, it is VERY safe to say that their license SUCKS, there is nothing more to be said about it, running 3d without X would not be all that benificial to most users (although it is supported via the OGL standard) so nvidia isn't any better or worse than say, ati, but when it comes to quadro drivers... heh, forget nvidia altogether when it comes to professional 3d, the latest wildcat runs circles (literally) around the quadro... that goes for any OS...

I have tried to modify others patches, to create own patches, but it seems everyones failure is unique and one solution will only work in one case, that is the perfect example of close-minded programming... "it works in the lab"
Old 08-24-03, 10:59 PM   #10
SnapIT

Default Re: why so complicated?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrRambo
is it really this complicated?
Maybe, as you have all the answers, you can create what i and others have tried to?

The cards bios? ehhh... and the feature set? the rest of the specs? wouldn't you need that? You cannot program an interface from a BIOS instruction set, thankfully, because that would mean that every possible combo would require it's own driver...

The kernel is not supposed to open the display in fb mode, you CAN set lilo specs (or whatver BM you use) to use fb mode though... big difference...

Sorry if i sound a bit harsh, nvidia irritates me...