Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-11, 07:03 PM   #1
MikeC
Administrator

Default Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromised

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/st...s-compromised/

Quote:
Valve have just informed us that Steam’s database has been compromised.

An IM is being sent out to all Steam users. Here are the details straight from Gabe:

“Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked.”

Valve are “still investigating” the situation. They mention that there’s been no evidence of illegal credit card activity as yet, and that it’s probably a good idea to change both your Steam passwords. To do that, access Settings from the Steam menu within the client.

Newell signs off his IM with sincerity: “I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Steam joins a long list of high profile targets who have recently been targeted by Hackers. Sony, Codemasters and Bioware have all taken the hit. Valve recently announced Steam Guard, designed to increase account security; Gabe even gave out his password to show off its true power. That makes us extra sad.
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 07:08 PM   #2
Sean_W

Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Yeah, it's sad and someone should find who these people are who are making such high profile attacks.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 08:55 PM   #3
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Not happy about this at all... but where are all of those people who laughed at the PSN users that got hacked earlier this year? It sucks, doesn't it? Sucks worse for me since this is the second time it has happened :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 08:59 PM   #4
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Man I find this out when I am at work and I cannot access steam!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:18 PM   #5
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

i hope they leave my account alone
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:26 PM   #6
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Not happy about this at all... but where are all of those people who laughed at the PSN users that got hacked earlier this year? It sucks, doesn't it? Sucks worse for me since this is the second time it has happened :\.
I'm right here.

Still laughing at PSN because the service was down for a whole month.
Old 11-10-11, 09:30 PM   #7
bacon12

Yea checked my CC no charges thus far. So the only confirmed malice was compromising forum accounts thus far.

I don't get why they would attack steam/valve? Sony was to prove a point, and to my knowledge no one has claimed this.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:34 PM   #8
AthlonXP1800

I accessed Steam and everything seemed fine. PSN was hacked earlier this year then 4 days ago Xbox was been hacked 4 days ago and money had been nicked from accounts.

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-live...ed-money-taken

So now Steam been hacked, thankfully I checked all my games library and all fine, no money spend or took from my account.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-11, 09:34 PM   #9
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
You aren't going to get the same reaction from people with this as you did from the PSN hack, even though it's just as bad, if not worse, than that screw up. People love to hate Sony, and Valve can do no wrong.

Just one other reason to not like Steam. Anyone who can hack their databases has access to your entire gaming library!
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:49 PM   #10
|MaguS|

Yeah where is the outrage like what was directed at Sony? This is far worse then Sony's since almost every account compromised on the Steam hack had a CC tied to it, that was not the case with the PSN Hack.
Old 11-10-11, 09:50 PM   #11
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Well i just stopped my CC....maybe an over reaction but I just want to be safe
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:13 PM   #12
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

We already pay for a CC monitoring service, so I'm not worried.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote