Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-11, 12:43 PM   #1
Kain

Default Intel Core i7-3960X and i7-3930K CPUs Transitioning to C2 stepping in January

Quote:
As previously reported, Intel's first wave of Sandy Bridge-E processors have VT-d (Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) disabled due to an errata in the C1 stepping. That issue couldn't be resolved in time for the launch but it's getting fixed with the C2 stepping which is set to start rolling out to customers on January 20th, 2012 (samples have already been delivered).

The CPUs moving to the C2 stepping are the hexa-core Core i7-3960X (3.3 GHz) and Core i7-3930K (3.2 GHz). Beside the fixed VT-d, the C2 chips will feature new S-spec and MM numbers so a BIOS update for current motherboards will likely be required.
http://www.techpowerup.com/156625/In...n-January.html

Is this a big deal? Will I miss out on something if I get a chip that has VT-d disabled?

I don't even know what it is.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 01:19 PM   #2
Kain

Default Re: Intel Core i7-3960X and i7-3930K CPUs Transitioning to C2 stepping in January

Thanks.

However, according to this article, VT-d is important even for games.

Quote:
PC enthusiast customers and companies running corporate datacentres looking to buy into the new Sandy Bridge-E platform may want to wait a little while before handing over their hard-earned money to Intel. The initial batch of C1 revision Sandy Bridge-E processors have a bug – “errata” in Intel terminology – in them with VT-d, which means that hardware accelerated virtualization doesn’t work properly with them (software only mode is unaffected). The feature when working properly, allows all hardware acceleration to work on the hosted operating system (virtual machine). This would allow things such as hard drive controllers to work, plus applications such as high-powered 3D games, typically First Person Shooters, to run at nearly full speed and the full Windows Aero desktop to be displayed on the hosted OS, as the hardware features of the graphics card can be used. Therefore, working VT-d is a critical feature for these kinds of applications.
http://www.techpowerup.com/152978/Sa...er-Launch.html

If it is important for games, I don't know what to do. I was planning on buying a 3930K in a few days.
Old 12-13-11, 03:41 AM   #3
Kain

Default Re: Intel Core i7-3960X and i7-3930K CPUs Transitioning to C2 stepping in January

I guess there is no point in me waiting for the C2 stepping then. However, I wonder if it will make a difference in resale value.
Old 12-13-11, 12:01 PM   #4
red777star

That is interesting. I enabled VT-d and tested on my C1 and it worked fine. It was disabled by default.

I tried VT-d after i received BIOS update from ASRock. One of the updates was to update C2 Microcode. I tried VT-d after that on my C1 cpu and everything works fine, i heavily use computer for gaming and development, also run virtual machines on it. It is C1 according to Aida64.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 02:52 PM   #5
Kain

How can you tell if VT-d is working?
Old 12-14-11, 12:57 PM   #6
frenchy2k1

Feature Overload

For most consummer, VT-d is unimportant. It's about accelerating in hardware I/O transfer of Virtual Machine. This features let's the Virtual Machine share a phhysical storage between multiple request better.

So, unless you
1) use VM
2) do very IO intensive operations in those VMs
3) need multiple VMs to access a single storage resource
This is irrelevant to you...
Old 12-16-11, 09:59 PM   #7
red777star

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
Feature Overload

For most consummer, VT-d is unimportant. It's about accelerating in hardware I/O transfer of Virtual Machine. This features let's the Virtual Machine share a phhysical storage between multiple request better.

So, unless you
1) use VM
2) do very IO intensive operations in those VMs
3) need multiple VMs to access a single storage resource
This is irrelevant to you...
I agree.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 05:26 AM   #8
Kain

Intel could have fixed VT-d for C1 stepping. Search for "BS90" in the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...ion-update.pdf