Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-11, 12:28 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: Upgrading from 5770 to...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
Hehe, will do.

I usally max out everything I can first and see how it runs, then slowly turn down effects that have little visual impact like decals and stuff. At this resolution, the 5770 has been great, but I can see the lag in some games (Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Skyrim, etc.) if I leave some options on. There's some pretty bad stutter at times as well.

With the newest Catalyst drivers, I can max out Skyrim to ultra, and it's very playable. But if I make sudden 180 turns, it's super choppy. If anything, the 5870 will help, tons later on.

Oh, God. I don't even want to get into monitors. There's so many right now that it's hard to choose from.

Same reason why I got the 5770. It's not this giant furnace of a card, and for what I can accomplish it was perfect. I am, however, looking to get a little more "oomph" for now as I have been laid off yet again and finally have some time to catch up with games. Being able to turn on ALL of the eyecandy will definitely be awesome.
Well, I think part of your problem may be the processor... uncertain though. "Smooth, playable performance" is very subjective and I seem to be far more forgiving of lower framerates than many. I say this because with my 5770 playing at 1920 x 1200 I was insanely pleased. Yes, I did bump in to the cards limits but it was very seldom. I feel more restrained with this 4870 but mostly due to the significantly smaller framebuffer- the performance over all is there but where I could crank AA up with the 5770 I cannot with the 4870. Not a deal breaker for me as IQ is secondary to a great story and atmosphere IMO.

As to monitors... again I feel this is very subjective. It's kind of like picking out speakers- everybody's ears perceive audio a bit differently. What may be pleasing to somebody will be attrocious to another. Same goes for monitors. What one individual thinks is a very nice monitor another will think the exact opposite.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 08:49 PM   #14
shilk

I don't know how to explain the lag issue. It's almost in every game I play, and the genre varies. So it's not limited to, say, and FPS or anything. I've gotten it in Skyrim and Assassin's Creed II. There's also other titles as well. Even though I can overclock the CPU, there's just some limitation that seems to bring performance down at times.

I do get the same performance with lower resolutions, so it could just be the CPU. I guess there's only one way to find out, lol. Will update as soon as I install it.
Old 11-18-11, 06:08 PM   #15
shilk

Damn, they sold out of the 1100T's. I literally live 5 minutes away, and they couldn't even hold it for me. They still have the 1090T at $169, though.

They had a 6870 for $154 as well. Guess what it boils down to is which one I would benefit from right now.
Old 11-18-11, 08:25 PM   #16
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
Damn, they sold out of the 1100T's. I literally live 5 minutes away, and they couldn't even hold it for me. They still have the 1090T at $169, though.

They had a 6870 for $154 as well. Guess what it boils down to is which one I would benefit from right now.
I'd honestly suspect that you'll benefit more from a faster CPU. 1440 x 900 is not a demanding resolution even for a 5770- I game at 1920 x 1200 and the 5770 was more than up to it. I did have to keep some things turned down or off on certain newer titles but that was in very few titles.

I'd go with the CPU for now. A 1090T is a solid CPU and if you're comfortable with it should OC very well.
Old 11-24-11, 11:01 PM   #17
shilk

Okay, finally got the CPU with an extra.

Got the 1100T that usually goes for around $189-200 for $169 @ newegg.

Also picked up an Acer 23" 1080p LED display for $119 as well.

Black Friday is awesome! Glad I waited two days, lol.
Old 03-15-12, 07:24 PM   #18
shilk

Welp. PC died. Dunno what happened. Came home, turned it on, smoke and burning smell, panic ensued. Tested new power supply, mobo and nothing. If I hook up the 12v CPU plug, it won't even turn on. ARGH!

Didn't want to deal with it, so I picked up a i5 2500K and Z86 motherboard @ Fry's for $280 for both. Now I just need a videocard.

/sigh
Old 03-16-12, 01:13 AM   #19
Redeemed

Man, that freakin' sucks! Everything got fried?
Old 03-16-12, 04:14 AM   #20
shilk

Not everything.

One of my HHDs is making a clicking sound now. And the 5770 is doing some weird stuff. It'll randomly just freeze for a second and then come back if I try to play something.

I have the PC plugged into a UPS backup, so I'm almost 100% it wasn't a surge or anything. RAM seems fine. I have no idea what it was, so I took out the battery on the old mobo and just left it sitting on some boxes in the other room until I can set some time aside to figure out what went wrong.

If I get a new videocard, I don't want to have to upgrade again for a while, lol. It's stressful sometimes when you can't figure out what's going on.

Old 03-16-12, 11:29 AM   #21
Redeemed

That is very wierd. What about your PSU? Are you still using it? If so, I'm wondering if it were the motherboard. I mean, power comes from the PSU to the motherboard, from their the mobo disperses it to the rest of the components so if something were off with the voltage regulation of the mobo I could see all sorts of components getting damaged.

Either way I'm betting all of those parts are still under warranty. I'd test each one to find what'g damaged and what isn't, and then send the damaged parts out under warranty. When you get the new parts back you could have a killer second rig, or sell off the parts to help cover the cost of the mobo and CPU you just purchased.

Really sucks man, been there when you said it's stressful not being able to figure out what happened. Especially when it just doesn't make sense. Only thing I could figure, if your PSU is still working fine, is that something was off with the motherboard's voltage regulation.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and with little hassle though.
Old 03-16-12, 05:18 PM   #22
shilk

Could be. But the thing is, I'm using the same PSU right now in the new build and it's working perfectly. I think it could have been the motherboard or CPU. I bought a new motherboard at Fry's to test, and I had the same results. So it's down to the CPU.

It's still under warranty, and I haven't even had the chance to overclock it or anything. I'll most likely send it off next week when I get a bit more time to set aside to test it out.

Kind of debating on what card to get next. I'm eying the HD 6950 2GB (or even 1GB), and the GTX 570. Budget is around $200-$250. Some guy on ebay was selling 3 2GB 6950's for $185 a pop, and I was too late. I do see two GTX 570's for $150 a pop though. Problem is that it's not tested, and there's no returns.

Edit: 570's are freakin gone.
Old 03-22-12, 01:20 AM   #23
Rakeesh

I'm looking at the 7850 myself, runs about the same temps as my 5750 and its twice as fast.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote