Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-11, 05:35 AM   #1
dinosaur

Default [BUG REPORT] 290.10 breaks display on Mandriva 2010.0

For a start, the bug I reported here is still not fixed and breaks the OpenGL textures in some 3D games.

Second, when I close a Gnome session and get back to gdm, the screen goes black and then very slowly becomes "dirty grey" (it's hard to describe and I can't alas provide a screen shot, but it's like a "pixelized" grey, as if the back light was going progressively too bright with most LCD pixels staying black and the rest becoming slowly transparent to the back light). At this point, if I hit CTRL ALT BACKSPACE to force a X restart, I get a display with oblique black stripes and the gdm menu appearing shifted at each new non-black stripes (here again, hard to describe without an alas impossible screen shot)...

I must stress out that it is the first time in many years that Nvidia is providing such a badly broken release (!) driver that also didn't have all its regression bugs fixed before going into release !

I'm going back to 285.05.09 which is the last working driver for me...

Below is the bug report log.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (59.2 KB, 47 views)
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 09:24 PM   #2
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: [BUG REPORT] 290.10 breaks display on Mandriva 2010.0

Why exactly can't you provide a screenshot? If X is running, running eg. `import -window root screenshot.png` should do what you want, IIRC. (import is part of the imagemagick suite which should hopefully be packaged by your distro). If that fails, there's always taking a picture of your screen.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 06:12 PM   #3
dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
Why exactly can't you provide a screenshot? If X is running, running eg. `import -window root screenshot.png` should do what you want, IIRC. (import is part of the imagemagick suite which should hopefully be packaged by your distro). If that fails, there's always taking a picture of your screen.
1.- Because it's impossible to take a screenshot at the gdm login screen (no terminal available), and switching to a text console of course prevents to take a screenshot of the corrupted X display.
2.- Because I don't have a digital camera and I don't feel like taking a normal photograph, developing it, scanning it and then posting it here...
Old 11-30-11, 06:29 PM   #4
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Not even a cell phone camera, or one to borrow from someone? (Just checkin')
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 02:23 AM   #5
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
1.- Because it's impossible to take a screenshot at the gdm login screen (no terminal available), and switching to a text console of course prevents to take a screenshot of the corrupted X display.
2.- Because I don't have a digital camera and I don't feel like taking a normal photograph, developing it, scanning it and then posting it here...

That is untrue.

Modify the file /etc/gdm/Init/Default, by adding the following line
Code:
(sleep 10; gnome-screenshot) &
just before the last exit 0 line. Then logout and wait 10 seconds for the interactive screenshot dialog to appear.

You will need to propose the /tmp directory to save the image, in any case take attention to where you save the file, to found it later, after login.

Remember to remove the line inserted in the file /etc/gdm/Init/Default to remove this annoying screenshot dialog every time you login

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	43476  
Old 12-01-11, 02:48 AM   #6
dinosaur

And how do you see and interact with the dialog when, like in this very case, the screen goes black ?...

Also, I very much doubt a screen shot would show the problem: it more looks like a problem with video sync signals (absence of them for the black screen, or bad sync signals for the video tearing/striping), so the image would be just fine from the X server point of view, but the driver would simply fail to initialize the video card with the proper values and the resulting image can't be properly decoded by the monitor).

In any case, it should be easy enough for Nvidia folks to reproduce this bug (I saw other similar reports too on the forum for 290.10, so I'm not alone in this case either).
Old 12-01-11, 02:56 AM   #7
dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Not even a cell phone camera, or one to borrow from someone? (Just checkin')
Nope. I'm an old fart (why do you think I chose "dinosaur" as my nickname on this forum ?)... I thoroughly hate cell phones and will never have one.