Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-11, 01:48 AM   #1
RobotMarvin

Default Video tearing with GNOME 3.x

Morning all.

All over the net, there are reports of video tearing with Gnome 3.x and the official nvidia driver. Unfortunately there are no solutions or official words about it. So I'd like to bring this up here on the forum in the hopes that it sparks a response and maybe gets things moving into the right direction.

The problem is: There is no tearing with the desktop itself - only video playback has tearing and always at the same spot... in the upper 1/8 of the screen. No matter what I do. I tried VDPAU and OpenGL output, forced OpenGL sync via nvidia-settings and __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK but the tearing remained. Also from time to time, switching from the text console to X takes a few seconds for the desktop to appear. Everything is just fine under KDE with and without compositing though - no delays, no tearing, nothing at all.

Right now I am using the 290.10 drivers with kernel 3.0.9 on a Gentoo x86_64 system. The card is a Zotac GTX 470 AMP! (w/ msi active and no ondemandvblanks).

If you need any further informations and/or help testing potential fixes, please let me know and I will gladly help in any way possible.

Thanks.

So long,
matthias.
RobotMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 03:57 AM   #2
Belegdol

Default Re: Video tearing with GNOME 3.x

How does it work on secondary screen?
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651312
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...96&postcount=7
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 04:15 AM   #3
RobotMarvin

Unfortunately I only have one TFT here, so I can't test with a two screen setup. By the way, I knew the other thread and the bug report but as you can see for yourself, there is nothing in there that comes even close to a solution unfortunately. The original reporter's static tear line is the same thing I am seeing, basically.

Hopefully there is an official word coming from the nvidia devs in here, please? :-)
Old 11-25-11, 01:09 AM   #4
sandipt
NVIDIA Corporation

Does tearing happens if you do `nvidia-xconfig --no-composite` and restartX ?
sandipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 03:05 AM   #5
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
That makes no sense, because gnome3 *requires* composite to work.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 06:05 AM   #6
kokoko3k

i don't use gnome, but in the past i solved that issue with tearing in the upper part of the screen by removing/stting false:
Option "TripleBuffer"
in xorg.conf in device section
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 04:51 PM   #7
Belegdol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotMarvin View Post
Unfortunately I only have one TFT here, so I can't test with a two screen setup. By the way, I knew the other thread and the bug report but as you can see for yourself, there is nothing in there that comes even close to a solution unfortunately. The original reporter's static tear line is the same thing I am seeing, basically.

Hopefully there is an official word coming from the nvidia devs in here, please? :-)
I am the original reporter I pointed this thread to you in a hope that if we bring enough attention to the problem a solution might be found.
Old 11-26-11, 01:26 AM   #8
RobotMarvin

@sandipt: I don't see why this should be relevant at all. Gnome 3.x requires composition to work like Dragoran already said.

@kokoko3k: Tried with both on and off - no difference at all, unfortunately.

@Belegdol: I doubt it, actually. This issue has been going on for a while now and there are still no official words. :-((

In the meantime maybe this leads to other clues: When composition is on, switching from the text console to X takes up to 3 seconds before the desktop fully appears. This happens with both KDE 4.{6,7,8} and Gnome 3.{0,2}. The problem disappears when composition is simply deactivated within KDE for example. I also tried with MSI off, no change at all.

Old 11-26-11, 12:58 PM   #9
Belegdol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
No, it does not. But, as others have written already, gnome-shell requires composite to work. As such, disabling it forces gnome to use the fallback mode, which uses metacity AFAIK.
Old 11-28-11, 03:53 PM   #10
zeroadhesion

Hello all. I have absolutely the same problem. And found no solution at the moment. :/
Gnome 3.2.1
Fedora 16
NVIDIA DRIVERS 290.10
NVIDIA GTX 460
Gnome-MPlayer for player
and VDPAU for Video out.
zeroadhesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:15 PM   #11
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Using VDPAU under a composited environment is documented to not be guaranteed tear-free. See appendix H of the README, VdpPresentationQueue section.

The original reported also mentioned that the OpenGL output path was tearing. Do other OpenGL applications running under GNOME 3 also exhibit the same behavior, even when forcing VSync?
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 01:55 AM   #12
kokoko3k

As a side note in case opengl output path would be fixed in the future, mplayer-vaapi allows you to use opengl output and vdpau decoding togheter.
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote