Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-11, 03:32 AM   #13
Belegdol

Default Re: Video tearing with GNOME 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
Using VDPAU under a composited environment is documented to not be guaranteed tear-free. See appendix H of the README, VdpPresentationQueue section.

The original reported also mentioned that the OpenGL output path was tearing. Do other OpenGL applications running under GNOME 3 also exhibit the same behavior, even when forcing VSync?
mplayer -vo gl also exhibits the static tear line, as does mplayer -vo xv. SO do totem and vlc with default output. With other openGL apps it might be hard to tell, since gnome 3.2 has heuristics detecting games and unredirecting fullscreen windows. And full screen is needed, since in my case the tear line is 1 cm below the top edge of the screen, so it is invisible otherwise.
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 07:26 AM   #14
RobotMarvin

Hi all.

I can second everything said by my fellow posters. Then there is still the issue that switching from text console to X takes up to two seconds for the screen to fully appear. Sometimes parts of it are being displayed initially though. This started a few month ago and was never an issue before. Switching KDE4 to XRender backend makes it disappear - along with most eye candy though.

Has anyone also noticed that video playback under Gnome 3.x seems somewhat jerky as well? It is not as smooth (apart from the tearing line) as it is with KDE4 and composition on for example.

Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.
matthias.
RobotMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 07:29 AM   #15
Belegdol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotMarvin View Post
Has anyone also noticed that video playback under Gnome 3.x seems somewhat jerky as well? It is not as smooth (apart from the tearing line) as it is with KDE4 and composition on for example.

Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.
matthias.
Make sure you don't have gnome-shell-extension-cpu-temperature installed. I also added -cache 10240 to mplayer. For the long story about the cpu extension, please read https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=664869.
Old 11-29-11, 07:32 AM   #16
Belegdol

Besides, AFAIK, KDE unredirects all fullscreen windows, while gnome (starting with 3.2) does that for games only. There is some heuristics supposed to detect which windows get redirected and which don't.
Old 11-29-11, 08:26 AM   #17
RobotMarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegdol View Post
Thanks for the hint but my problem is a different one, unfortunately. It's hard to explain. The video is just not as smooth as it should be. Kinda like undersampling... there is a distinct jerkiness that is no there with KDE4 (and composition) or any other wm/de.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegdol
Besides, AFAIK, KDE unredirects all fullscreen windows, while gnome (starting with 3.2) does that for games only. There is some heuristics supposed to detect which windows get redirected and which don't.
I know. That's the one thing I really don't understand with the Gnome guys why they don't fix things people cry out for. And since most of the hooks should already be there, it _should_ be simple to implement this.
RobotMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:33 AM   #18
Belegdol

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=597014 for lengthy explanation, I guess there must be drawbacks to unredirecting.
Old 08-16-12, 06:54 PM   #19
mirak63

This is like more than 3 years that there is tearing when the composite extension is enabled in Xorg.
THis is just horrible on a 46" flat screen.
This is 3 years that I complain about that and filed bug reports.
And this is like 3 years that I have given up try to run 3d desktops like compiz and that I have this in my config file :

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Now Unity work like crap without gpu acceleration, and gnome doesn't even work without gpu acceleration.

They just ruined Gnome, it's useless now.
mirak63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 09:33 PM   #20
bearoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak63 View Post
This is like more than 3 years that there is tearing when the composite extension is enabled in Xorg.
THis is just horrible on a 46" flat screen.
This is 3 years that I complain about that and filed bug reports.
And this is like 3 years that I have given up try to run 3d desktops like compiz and that I have this in my config file :

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Now Unity work like crap without gpu acceleration, and gnome doesn't even work without gpu acceleration.

They just ruined Gnome, it's useless now.
Blame the original Compiz that used client-side vsync-waiting and dirty rectangles. Now everyone thinks that it's a good idea and has copied the code directly into their own compositors (KDE) or come up with their own implementation with the same general concept (Clutter).

Hopefully, hopefully, Wayland won't go down this same path. At least with client windows communicating with the compositor, not GLX directly, for buffer flips, the race condition will be gone, and the problem will at least be alleviated somewhat.
bearoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-12, 12:20 AM   #21
Belegdol

Gnome 3 does not tear at all for me. If you get tearing on the secondary screen, try this:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651312#c18
Old 08-17-12, 01:52 AM   #22
bearoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegdol View Post
Gnome 3 does not tear at all for me. If you get tearing on the secondary screen, try this:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651312#c18
That's neat. I didn't know Clutter had an exposed option to disable the dirty rectangles method.

I'm curious to know what happened to the OpenGL extension drago01 mentioned at the end.
bearoso is offline   Reply With Quote