Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-03, 07:20 PM   #1
JerryBear

Thumbs down New NVidia driver on SuseLinux 8.2

I have a new (standard) motherboard and a new case for my computer. When I saw that Nvidia had a new driver out, I decided to try it and see if I could finally get hardware 3D acceleration working for my GeForce 3 TI 200 card. Needless to say, it still doesn't work. I have no trouble installing the new driver, but no matter how I set things up, the screen immediately turns gray and freezes when I try to get xwindows started. The screen remains dark for several minutes with a little hard drive activity about once a minute, then the NVidia logo flashes on momentarily and equally momentarily the xwindow screen appears, then the screen goes dark again. The cycle then repeats endlessly. I have included here the logs both before the Nvidia driver is activated (marked ".old") and after 3D acceleration is activated (marked ".new") but I can see no real errors. It seems everything is loading okay and should be working, but it isn't and I have no idea why. Any help would be appreciated.

Disgruntledly,

JerryBear
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86configlog.txt (82.9 KB, 154 views)
JerryBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-03, 12:55 AM   #2
ceasol

Default change

in the

Section "Device"

Change the line

Driver "nv"

for

Driver "nvidia"
ceasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-03, 11:30 AM   #3
JerryBear

Default no need

You are looking at the pre-installation configuration file (marked ".old")
The SaX2 utility automatically replaces "nv" with "nvidia" when 3D hardware activation is initiated. Please check the configuration file marked ".new" to see this. There are 4 files in all, the XFree86config file .old and .new, and the XFree86.0.log files .old and .new. The .old files are from before the installation of the nvidia driver and the .new files are from after the installation and activation of 3D hardware acceleration.

JerryBear
Old 08-25-03, 10:52 PM   #4
JerryBear

Default I wonder........

if I could get Andy Mecham to take a look at the files. I am at my wit's end, I can't think of anything else to do except maybe get an ATI Radeon 9000 or something.

JerryBear
Old 08-26-03, 10:33 PM   #5
JerryBear

Unhappy Hmmmm.....

It seems that a lot of people have read my message but nobody can think of anything that might help I find that disheartening. Does anybody have any ideas?

JerryBear
Old 08-27-03, 03:15 AM   #6
jcca

I had problems with the pre-compiled GeForce .rpm files for my SuSE 8.1 setup, and then I lost my video when I downloaded the updated kernel. So I thought I'd give recompiling a shot and downloaded the .run file and recompiled it for my system. Worked perfectly! Well, except for the fact that you still can't return to a console screen once you've run X. It appears that the driver isn't switching modes correctly as you can often type commands while staring at a blank screen.

Anyway, I digress. I didn't confirm the the .run file is compatible with your adapter, but give that a try. It's not the easiest thing to do if you're a beginner, but I'm not a Linux expert and I still managed to do it.
jcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 10:20 PM   #7
JerryBear

Default No Thanks

I am not going to mess with the kernal, I am just going to get a RADEON card and give up on NVIDIA.

Jerry
Old 08-29-03, 01:34 AM   #8
jcca

I wish I could say the same. My GeForce is in my VAIO notebook. Ah, well, good luck with the ATI.
jcca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-03, 03:08 AM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The nvidia XFree86 log file is incomplete; judging from your observation, the server mostly initializes correctly and then aborts after displaying the logo. Starting X manually (i.e. not using a display manager such as gdm) might help to obtain a complete log file.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 12:51 PM   #10
Gyokuran

With such an attitude you'll soon run out of money for new components when working with linux. Most of the time things don't work out of the box and it is up to the user to invest some time, learn and finally have the satisfaction to know what is going on and have things working properly...

I have SuSE 8.2 with VIA KT400, NVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 and after some work it is working splendidly.
Gyokuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 10:55 PM   #11
JerryBear

Default The Problem With Nvidia...

Is they won't let the open source community do their proper work of creating the necessary drivers. They are trying to do it themselves and it is just not working. I can buy an ATI Radeon 7000 for about 1/3 the price I paid for the NVIDIA card and it is directly and perfectly supported (including hardware 3D acceleration) by an already built-in open source driver in the default SUSE 8.2 operating system. If I want something cutting-edge and top-of-the-line, yes I will need to fuss to get it working, but for older technology, this should not be any kind of problem at all. I can never trust the Nvidia card not to become broken all over again every time I upgrade my system.

Nvidia obviously cannot write the kind of drivers that are needed by the Linux community so they should let that community do the job for them. What they are attempting now is just not working. I abandoned Lexmark printers for Epson ones for precisely the same reasons and I am not sorry I did. The output I get from them is just beautiful and they are trouble-free.

Sincerely,

JerryBear
Old 08-30-03, 01:21 PM   #12
Stinkfinger24

Send a message via Yahoo to Stinkfinger24

Jerry,

Went to the Suse web site to find a fix for the same problem. Found Nvidia how to there. Here is the file. I followed step 2 because of the updated kernel. It worked perfectly. Just make sure that you are in init 3.

Im running a GeForce 3 TI 200 with a Athlon prosessor. Good Luck!

Stinky
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer-howto.txt (5.5 KB, 248 views)
Stinkfinger24 is offline   Reply With Quote