Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-11, 01:03 PM   #1
JasonWard

Default 2 cards, 3 monitors all is not well

Further to this thread which is now solved, but may provide some back ground information, I currently have a broken setup of 2xGT220 and 3 large screen monitors.

I have had this (type i.e 2 cards, 3 monitors) working previously on an old machine, but that was back in the days on Gnome 2.x and it seems my problem is deeply affected by the desktop I'm running.

I currently running Ubuntu 11.10 and can choose between default Gnome 3, Unity, Unity 2D and MGSE (Mint's attempt to make Gnome 3 behave like Gnome 2) for my desktop.

This xconf.org works after a fashion, although it makes no logical sense to me, as Monitor2 doesn't seem to be used anywhere and should be part of the "Screen0" definition.

Now when I load MGSE it works kinda with the following two problems

1) Screen0 - The windows cannot be maximised to one monitor, it treats both monitors quite literally as one. I am used to being able to drag and drop across monitors, but two monitors to act as one.

2) The drop down menu bar across screen0 (monitors 0 and 2) appears 7 times each under each other (using about 1/5th of my screen).

When I load Gnome 3 (native is you will) I get nothing but 3 black and blank monitors.

When I load into Unity 2D Screen0 (Monitor0 and 2) work fine, but Monitor2/Screen1 shows the content of Monitor0, except for the mouse, however the mouse can be moved onto Monitor2/Screen1 but cannot interact with any of the screen content, but does appear to be interacting with something I cannot see.

When I load Unity, Monitor0 contains only some desktop icons I have placed on my desktop, but no specific Unity elements whilst monitors 1 and 2 both appear white with a cross mouse cursor until I click on them, at which point the desktop reverts to my chosen background image. However, nothing I open on Monitor0, using the icons is draggable onto the other monitors.

The xorg log associated with this setup is here.

I have edited my own version of xorg.conf which to me seems at least logically correct, but it causes X to not even offer me a login screen.

The xorg log associated with this setup is here but appears (to me at least) to reveal nothing, since although it never came close to working, it gives no error messages.

Any help at all would be gratefully received.
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 04:57 AM   #2
JasonWard

Default Re: 2 cards, 3 monitors all is not well

OMG!!!

It's not an nvidia problem, as I pretty much knew all along.

It's not an x problem as I was beginning to suspect.

I just switched to XCFE desktop and it all works perfectly, exactly as I want.

So Gnome3 (since that was the base of all the other desktops I tried) you suck!

I wonder, do I give KDE a go too, or do I just move on and get used to XFCE?
Old 12-06-11, 06:44 AM   #3
sandipt
NVIDIA Corporation

Looks like not nvidia driver issue.
sandipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 10:36 AM   #4
johnc

Have you tried Gnome 2?
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 11:11 PM   #5
JasonWard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
Have you tried Gnome 2?
I have not, no, although I used to have a similar setup with Gnome2 and it worked great.

But as you cannot have Gnome2 and Gnome3 co-exist on the same box I'm not in any position to test this on my current setup.
Old 12-06-11, 11:24 PM   #6
johnc

What a POS.

I guess I'll be sticking with Ubuntu 11.04 and not upgrade any time soon.

Maybe they should just scrap the UI altogether and we can just go back to issuing terminal commands on the virtual console.

The people involved in the linux desktop are absolute morons.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote