Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-11, 08:27 AM   #1
Sean_W

Thumbs up Linux and SSD drives.

I've been using my SSD drive with Fedora 15 on for a few weeks now and man, it's so damn fast. According to the benchmark, I'm only 5mb off the top speed the drive said it has. Autologin enabled I can get to the desktop in 11 seconds from GRUB.

I recommend an SSD drive for Linux, especially if you don't have much storage requirements(I don't). The extra price for an SSD drive is well worth the price for the speed you get.

Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 07:09 PM   #2
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: Linux and SSD drives.

Well except there are still reports of slowdowns after a while, and for me the things tend to not perform well at all when you severely overload them (which admittedly doesn't usually happen on a desktop).

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 07:16 PM   #3
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Well except there are still reports of slowdowns after a while, and for me the things tend to not perform well at all when you severely overload them (which admittedly doesn't usually happen on a desktop).
Yeah, I heard that too but TRIM supposed to help reduce that. My mate said he was getting about 210MB/s in Windows on the same drive as me.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 04:52 PM   #4
JasonWard

I have two 64Gb SSD drives in both my main desktop and my home server (which is never stressed). I also have two other desktops I use from time to time.

On the desktop its the only drive, on the server it's just used for swap and base OS, everything else being stored on a traditional RAID array.

The SSD drives make huge impact and startup and shutdown times but other than that, I really don't notice the difference.
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote