Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-11, 05:29 AM   #1
maryyy

Default First power-on: monitor blank

My friend has this strange issue. HW specs are: Intel DP35DP mobo, Q6600, 8800GTX, 4GB DDR2, 700w Fortron PSU - everything at stock speeds.

When turning machine for the first time, monitor remains blank. But booting process normally continues and reaches desktop just fine (Win 7 Pro x86).
Warm reboot doesn't help. Cold reset most of the time doesn't help either, but maybe in 10% of cases, it does help, so it boots normally with GPU actually passing data to the monitor.
Monitor is connected thru one of the two DVIs. Tried the second DVI connector - same issue.

The only reliable 'solution' is powering machine off and on again with the ATX switch on the case. Whether PSU itself is turned on or off between seems to make no difference.

Simply, upon first power-on there is no monitor output, but after next power-on, it works.
This whole issue arised out of nowhere, there were no HW changes or BIOS updates at all.

He got an old GF7200 for a test and it works just fine all the time. Still, I tend to think it's the PSU, not the GPU. But I have no PSU adequate for 8800GTX to put to the test.

When he gets it to boot, it's perfectly stable in everything he does, mostly plays. Like ME2, Crysis2 etc. No BSODs, no lockups. But it looks like the whole power cycling needs to be done twice to make it work properly. GF7200 works, but this card doesn't need any other additional power than it gets from PCI-E, so it's not much of a proof that 8800GTX is at fault.

I tried to find anyone on the net with exactly the same issue, but I found none.
If anyone had something similar, your experience would be appreciated.
maryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 02:01 PM   #2
frenchy2k1

Default Re: First power-on: monitor blank

What setting is in the BIOS as to the default display?
It should be on PCIe.

Sounds like either the video card does not detect the monitor or just the BIOS procedure does not direct the video out to the correct port.

BTW, if you have multiple plugs, the correct one is the bottom one (closest to the MB).
Also, try disabling the onboard video completely.
Old 12-07-11, 03:58 PM   #3
maryyy

This was among the first things tested, including BIOS reset. Sorry for not mentioning it, I just take it for granted that stuff like this is tested first.

The board has no onboard video at all, so there is only autodetect, pci graphics and pci-e graphics, which was set.

But like I mentioned above, it started out of nowhere, no settings changed or HW added before it started happening. Also, both DVI connectors exhibit the same problem.

It's irritating. Having another PSU for test would help, but nobody near to borrow one from.
Old 12-07-11, 06:22 PM   #4
ViN86

Despite there being no onboard video, have you looked through the BIOS to see if there's a "Graphics slot" option? Some boards have them and they can be set to PCI or PCIe. It sounds like the motherboard isn't recognizing the correct video card slot on boot.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 12:15 AM   #5
maryyy

He finally got a rather mediocre LC Power 500w for the test and it's working just fine, even under full load. No second power-on needed, works as supposed to. It would be better if the old PSU just died quickly w/o introducing this headache.

Funny, his 700w Fortron lasted for about the same time as mine, cca 4 years. I wonder how long the 600w Tagan I got as a replacement will last.

Anyway, thanks for replies ppl.
Old 12-12-11, 02:25 AM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

keep in mind that 400, 500, 600 watts mean squat if it dosnt offer the amp loads on the rails the video card is running on.
Old 12-12-11, 06:10 AM   #7
maryyy

Sure.
Like I said, That 500w was meant for a test run, to prove what is at fault, GPU or PSU. For that purpose, it worked just fine.
He bought another Fortron 700w, which is more than adequate (18A on 4 separate 12v rails). It claims to have more than 90% efficiency if particular load balance is achieved. Not sure I believe that, but ok. And rather impressive 6 year warranty.
But since stock 8800gtx shouldn't take more than about 12A, than even that borrowed 500w should do just fine in long term too.