Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-03, 04:42 AM   #1
mat31

Unhappy SuSE 8.1 YOU kernel update & Nvidia Drivers

Hello,

I have updated last week by YOU my SuSE linux box, including the new kernel and kernel sources. After that I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Firstly, I didn't follow correctly the Howto, I just downloaded both rpm (from SuSE ftp) and install them. Sax2 was complaining !
After that, I follow the Howto instruction.... same results. So I decided not to use sax2 and I checked out if the symlinks for the GL libraries was correct (It was), then I edited my etc/X11/XFree86Concfig file to change nv -> nvidia in the device section.
The glx module is loaded as well as the nvidia driver.
After several tries (driver 4496, 4363, 3163...) the best I had got is a beautiful nvidia logo with a dead X server.... and a dead computer as well. The keyboard was locked and I had to hard reboot the system.

OK is anyone have a clue ? I checked this list and the SuSE-e-Linux for similar problem but the only help I have found is "change nv to nvidia in the Xfree86 config file" ! I knew that, and every time i try this module the system hang.

I have a P4 2.8 Ghz with SuSE 8.1 and a GEFORCE 420MX

Thank you
please find enclose my XFree86Config file (at this time i am using nv driver (the only one which work)
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (5.2 KB, 118 views)
mat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 05:18 AM   #2
cake

Hi.

I had the same problem as you. The solution is to re-install the stock kernel and use the RPMS for stock kernel as specified in the howtos for SuSE Linux 8.1.

I tried everything including custom compilation of the drivers, but had no luck. Right now I have the latest drivers running, but old kernel...

Life is tough....
cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 06:23 AM   #3
mat31

Thank you Cake ,

How did you reinstall the old kernel ? Because I tried this after several attempts, using yast2 (installing k_dflt + kernel sources from the CD) and I probably missed something (modules config ?, I thought everything was automatic)... because my system did'nt boot after (kernel panic at boot...unable to load reiserfs module ! By the way, SuSE's default suks : wy they didn't put the ext3 and reiserfs support IN the kernel instead of loading a module ?).
I fixed the system by reinstalling using CD1 (partial installation, all data still present)...and I updated again using YOU (yes I know... new kernel again, but I didn't think the problem was new kernel related).

Thank you for your help

Mat
mat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 07:19 AM   #4
cake

Ahhh, kernel Panic...have seen that too.

For some reason, when I reainstalled the old kernel from DVD, it happened to me too.

Even when I used depmod and lilo commands before reboot. It got fixed by booting from DVD, with sort of interrupted install with manually added reiserfs module and I had to mount the root parttion and using depmod and lilo command again and rebooting.

I am not quite sure how it works with GRUB, as I cannot use it (Raid as boot disk)

I might have missed some steps, as this happened about three weks ago and there has been a lot going on since, but the rule is to get to the roopt partition and get things straight.

I also cannot answer the question why SuSE makes the kernels the way they do....But If you do not tweak anythying, it works, so I gues good for BFUs but probably not for us.

I hope this might help and also, If you can make the new kernel + latest Nvidia drivers work, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks

Cake
cake is offline   Reply With Quote