Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-11, 04:27 PM   #1
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR
Default Rumor: Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games?

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt, but a number of sites are reporting today that the next version of Microsoft's desktop operating system, Windows 8, will let users play Xbox 360 discs on their PCs.

There isn't much information available at this point, and naturally many will be wondering why Microsoft would potentially cannibalize sales of its own console. But with Windows 8 still about a year away, and the company's next-gen console announcement expected in some form at E3 2012, the pieces could fall into place for a smart succession plan of Microsoft's gaming platform.

For one thing, the move would drastically increase the installed user base for the platform, allowing Microsoft to continue riding this console generation and profiting from game sales as it shifts focus to the next hardware update.

The next Xbox may or may not feature backwards compatibility. If Microsoft is developing some sort of emulator for Windows, I don't see a reason why the same functionality wouldn't make it to the 360's successor, but even if it doesn't Microsoft would be covering its back through this PC initiative by protecting people's investment in Xbox 360 games.

Microsoft has previously said it will relaunch PC gaming with Windows 8. The wealth of games that would come through this Xbox 360 integration could be a strong selling point for its next operating system, though hardcore gamers will certainly expect more than just being able to play console games with a mouse and keyboard.

According to the rumor, Xbox 360 on PC will require an Xbox Live Gold-like subscription service, but online gameplay will specifically prohibit cross-platform matchups to keep the playing field leveled. Take it for what it is: a rumor. But with that said, would you be interested in seeing Xbox 360 functionality on PCs with Windows 8?
Linky > http://www.techspot.com/news/44644-r...360-games.html
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 05:11 PM   #2
Logical

Default Re: Rumor: Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games?

Why bother with X360 compatibility with Windows 8...They should just integrate the next gen microsoft console into the OS. Oh wait, no they would sooner charge people 400 to 500 to play the next gen games instead of just allowing PC hardware to do it. I'm calling BS at this point anyway, sounds like a rumour that has escalated wildly.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 05:43 PM   #3
mojoman0

that would be pretty sweet. the controller works fine, official kinect support is coming soon. Microsoft makes most of their money of game licensing if I'm correct, at least initially. Dance Central PC here I come
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 05:52 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Not really possible due to how tough emulation would be on the X86 platform.
Old 07-12-11, 06:56 PM   #5
newparad1gm

I'm thinking if this rumor was true, it would be more of a remote play OnLive style service, where you would stream XBOX360 games remotely and play them on any Windows 8 equipped machine that can handle the video stream and have a fast enough connection. Of course, it would be subscription based, probably in addition to the XBL account that you would need as well.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 09:16 PM   #6
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Not really possible due to how tough emulation would be on the X86 platform.
I think it's pretty safe to say you can file this one in the "Not so fast" department. The XBox 360 is basically just a self contained, compact PC. I fairly sure it even uses Windows of some sort with Media Player and IE customized to be a user interface for it. Heck, the XBox360 games are even DX9 based. XBox360 controllers already run fine within Windows despite what the arcticle says about mouse and keyboard.

MS has the "emulation" thing down good. It started with the .NetFramework. Programs compiled to an intermidate language, MSIL (what it used to called, it has a new name now that I forget...) which can run on virtually any hardware as long as the .NetFramework exists. Basically, MS has evolved Windows along with the software to the point where the software simply runs on top of Windows without regard to hardware: Windows truly acts as an abraction layer where it takes care of everything. This even extends into 64-bit Windows. How do those pesky 32-bit programs run inside a 64-bit environment? Answer: simply provide emulation by using WOW (Windows on Windows) where the 32-bit programs run in.

Ultimately, it depends on how much XBox360 games look at the "metal" of the console which will decide how difficult it will be to make this happen. However, I really don't think having an Xbox360 game run inside Windows would be a huge deal.

I can't help but think the smart homers at MS came up with this to increase their revenue. Recall console manufacturers, including MS, actually sell their consoles at a loss to help keep prices down. Their revenue stream comes from royalties obtained by selling games; for each game sold the manufacturer gets X amount of money from the sell of each game vs. PC game sales where MS gets none of the money from the sale of a given game. I have no idea how many PC gamers there are. However, let's just say MS does this and the potential XBox360 game buyer pool doubles. Out of the extra potential buyers, let's just say 5% of those start to buy XBox360 games on a regular basis while an additional 10% casually buys Xbox games over PC games. MS will receive royalties from each of those extra game sales. Folks, that's a potentialy huge amount of extra revenue for MS I'm sure they are very keenly aware of.

This does scare me a bit though. One thing about PCs is over time they always pull away from consoles from a technology perspective as the PC platform is always evolving vs. a fixed setup of a console. I worry game manufacturers will think they can just make XBox games and forget about PC stuff since users can just run XBox games anyway. Eventually, some developers will disregard the PC capabilities and we'll all be playing games designed for, and governed by, the lowest common denominator: the Xbox. Still,there are ways to deal with this as well...
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 11:26 PM   #7
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

If true, I say more power to Microsoft.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:43 AM   #8
jlippo

Pure emulation would be very hard to do, due to the PPU - x86 and stuff like memexport.
GPU would most likely be the easier. (relatively traditional GPU even with daughter die.)

Easiest way would be creation of new executables like they did with xbox1 games on x360.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-11, 11:07 PM   #9
Rakeesh

If they didn't recompile x86 native binaries (which is possible) this wouldn't happen.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 06:28 AM   #10
XDanger
Whaaat?

Are they STILL making a loss on 360 hardware? About now they should be at least breaking even I would think, A 250gb HDD costs how much?

I think the rumour stems from the fact Microsoft said W8 will be used on the next xbox
Old 07-17-11, 01:35 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

bad idea, this could make devs even more lazy

for example instead of getting next fallout with all the extra visual options/settings they would just give 360 version, and go play on windows 8.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:35 AM   #12
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Are they STILL making a loss on 360 hardware?
Not for a long time.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote