Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-02, 06:30 PM   #145
SavagePaladin
info*****

Assault rifle is new. Ion painter is new. Shield gun is new. Most of its just reworked, yeah. But reworked quite a bit.

At any rate, its a sequel to a deathmatch game, what were you expecting?
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 06:48 PM   #146
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Thumbs up

I am averaging about 33 Fps on multiplayer and like 20 on instant action with 4 bots. But I am running only 1024x768 and no AA or AF. Not bad for a Pentium III with a GF4 Ti 4200. Can't wait till my new system's parts come in....
Old 09-15-02, 07:16 PM   #147
netviper13
Treehugger

does anybody have a slower secondary rig they could test this on? my friends and I enjoy having LAN Parties, but most of them have lower-end systems. I'm wondering if it would still be playable.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 07:17 PM   #148
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I just tried the demo on Linux, much better than XP, is it the OGL side of the engine or what, I dunno, but it runs much smoother.
I'll get some benchies on it and report back...
Old 09-15-02, 07:18 PM   #149
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
does anybody have a slower secondary rig they could test this on? my friends and I enjoy having LAN Parties, but most of them have lower-end systems. I'm wondering if it would still be playable.
I am running it on a lower end system, look at my 3d mark...
Old 09-15-02, 07:30 PM   #150
ExitWound

Send a message via AIM to ExitWound

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
I consider myself a midrange system, not extremely low but nothing amazing either.

Celeron 566@953Mhz (112MHz FSB)
512mb Infineon pc133 RAM @ 112Mhz CAS 2
SBLive! X-Gamer (4channel)
VisionTek GeForce3 (default settings)

800x600x32
Flyby: 75fps
Botmatch: 25

It's very playable, but it's nothing spectacular. There will be slowdown with people on screen in a very open area. The demo map inside the factory plays much better than the one outdoors. CTF is almost unplayable, depending on your liking. It'll hover at 21-25fps the whole time, with plummets into the teens when the displayed outdoor area is large. The GeForce 3 isn't the problem. the Celeron is. A REAL p3 would be better at 950Mhz than the Celeron for sure.
I'm the Heavy Metal Thunderstriking Jesus. "
ExitWound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 07:48 PM   #151
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

haha bombing run is killed with the teleporter. you can just throw the ball across the map, and than translocate to it. i can score on anubis in like 10 seconds. basically this means on public servers with bombing run, with newbies and a couple people who know this trick, bombing run would be killed by fast win times just like assault was in the original ut. of course with skilled players or in a league there will be automatic defenders but still it is a pretty lame trick.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 07:55 PM   #152
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

right now i think ut2k3 is actually almost perfect, the way the game is played, alot of the spam is reduce, it actually is a very skilledful, more aim based game than ut was. the shock rifle speed seems perfect, becaues if it would be faster, you would have shock *****s. it is still a very powerful weapon. the sniper requires more skill, but it is still a easy way to headshot someone if you have the aim, and the connection. this of course will reduce the number of sniper *****s. however i think the realism is definately reduced, i would be happier with an improved graphical ut with minimal gameplay differences. the characters do look too cartoonish, their dances are way too long and gay, and the double jump is pretty stupid, do you see people jumping after they've jumped once in the air, that seems pretty retarded to me. the dodge jump is more realistic and a great added feature. wall jumping is pretty useless too but it is pretty cool.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-02, 08:45 PM   #153
McBane
Left Hand Black

Send a message via ICQ to McBane Send a message via AIM to McBane

I likes....although i really havent gotten the hang of the Shield Gun or whatever its called......i likes......defnitely a "buy" for me....

runs like quake2 on a voodo3 for me.....Fine when 2-3 bots are around...a little choppy when heavy blasting in a small area....

do any of the maps have the redeemer?

PR0N-O-MATIC XL-509I
McBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 08:50 PM   #154
The Baron

no redeemer or ion painter in demo
Old 09-15-02, 08:58 PM   #155
sk8bloke22

ive been playing the game the whole day now online and im very impressed. im having as much fun with this demo as i did with the original ut demo and the quake 3 alpha's, and thats a pretty good sign for a revamped sequal. capture the flag is damn solid, it plays incredibly, i didnt even get that much lag on a 56k. the weapons are more balanced now, im not so sure about shock rifle, the alt. fire is a bit too slow for more liking. the rocket laucher is pretty standard, the flak cannon feels much the same, the default weapon is much better, the biorifle i never use anyway, and the mini-gun is a bit more annoying cos it has to reload (in fact its pretty much identical to the quake 2 one) but its a fairer weapon now due to being heavier to use. so in some respects it gives u reason to think about wat weapon to use.
sk8bloke22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 09:09 PM   #156
Cereal-Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
no redeemer or ion painter in demo
Actually, you can edit the user.ini in your system folder to get the nukes. Just add this line to an unassigned button:
Quote:
set XWeapons.Rocketlauncher FireModeClass class'XWeapons.RedeemerFire' | set XWeapons.RedeemerFire AmmoClass Class'XWeapons.RocketAmmo'
for example
Quote:
space=set XWeapons.Rocketlauncher FireModeClass class'XWeapons.RedeemerFire' | set XWeapons.RedeemerFire AmmoClass Class'XWeapons.RocketAmmo'
Then, when you're in the game, hit "space" (or whatever button you chose) and pick up the rocket launcher, which will now fire the nukes.

Btw, I didn't figure this out, some guy from the official UT2k3 forums did.
Cereal-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote