Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-02, 01:01 AM   #85
Cereal-Killer

My demo impressions so far: fun, but it didn't blow me away. Graphics are impressive, but I could swear it ran smoother in version 907. The game won't run silky smooth in 1024x768x32, all maxed out. I thought my AthlonXP 2000+, 768MB memory and GeForce3 Ti200 combo would last for a while... well, time for a vid card upgrade.
Cereal-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 01:39 AM   #86
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

All I can say is..OMG!!! And in the release notes, they say the textures are going to be up to 2X better. I can already tell I'm going to suck at this game online, but I can't wait to buy it
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 01:56 AM   #87
exar

Send a message via MSN to exar Send a message via Yahoo to exar
Thumbs up

I just hope they get some server/multiplayer issues worked out soon. I just got done playing DM online for 2 hours on various servers, and was dropped from games 6 times!!! Twice the game locked up on me, I could still move around an the sound effects from shooting were there, but the other players in the game weren't moving.

Overall, I think this will be a good game when it's finished. I liked UT (although I was late in switching over from Quake), and this looks like a worthy successor. It runs very smooth on my machine with a AXP 1900+, nForce, 512 RAM, and GF4 440MX w/40.41's at 1024x768.

[edit]Just checked the fps and it averages between 40-50fps on the above specs...not bad for not having anything o/c'd at the moment.[/edit]

Last edited by exar; 09-14-02 at 02:11 AM.
exar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 02:24 AM   #88
Sgt. Slaughter

I average 42 FPS with a GF4 4400 and a XP 1700 with 1024x768 and 2x AA. My favorite thing so far has to be the physics engine. The goal in bombing run is a good showcase when you fall in.
Sgt. Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 02:46 AM   #89
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

i've been a long time unreal tournament player for the last 3 years. and at first impressions i was disapointed to be truthful. performance was as expected, 154 in flyby and 51 in botmatch at 800x600. not good but not bad. it ran too my suprise incredibly smooth. i'm sure it is smoother than when ut first came out on top of the line hardware at the time. the game seems to have gotten alot of influence in quake, the rocket launcher is very similar to quake 3's rocket launcher. i thought the game didn't have that same effect as playing unreal tournament for the first time had on me. it was very innovative and different. ut2k3 is quake 3 + ut on steroids. not innovative at all. the game speed seems too fast for comfort, it takes away from what made ut as tactical as it was, and more enjoyable for me than the fast paceness of quake 3. the all-time favorite shock rifle was reduce to nothing but a piece of **** gun somewhat useful for killing the newbie who just stands there. for such a fast pace game, a slow paced shock rifle is not useful at all. no assault, but i can live without as a mod is in the works.

however, after playing for awhile, the fast paceness of the guns was easily adjustable too, and for a long time ut player, there was much more action and it kinda made the game exciting. instagib is interesting as the beam last longer and eliminates the camping you sometimes notice in gib. bombing run is excellent, finally something extremely innovate, it is a game that really depends on teamwork when many players are involved, and tests your ability to dodge, and run around in maps when there are 6 or less players. still the shock rifle is gay, it is slow as a turtle and a piece of crap weapon. its somewhat good long distance but if you don't get an accurate shot it knocks your opponent ****ing far off, making you lose his position, or weakening him off for an easy kill by someone else. the maps at first seem huge, but the fast paceness really makes the maps extremely small. this is not good. it seems as if everyone is sprinting all the time, and you can get around in maps extremely fast, that is gay. ut had much more precise movements, it was more skillful.

all in all, ut2k3 is a good game. but i don't think it will have the effect as ut had, or the longevitiy. now..i hope epic fixes a few of these things by the final release. if they do so, than ut2k3 has a chance to become better than ut.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 03:18 AM   #90
zippermcfrag
measure twice cut once

All I have to say is the Linux demo kicks a$$
Radeon 9700 pro
Pinnacle PCTV
zippermcfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 03:19 AM   #91
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Get rid of the 40.41's, they slow you down. After I uninstalled them and installed the 30.82's UT2k3 screamed at maximum settings. BTW get some more ram
After reading the readme file, it basically says, the more ram the better. I have 768mb which is probly another reason it's faster for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It's pretty awesome. Of course, for me to get performance that I find acceptable, with the kind of IQ I like, I dropped back to 800x600x32, with every setting in the game jacked up, turned on Quincunx and 2x aniso (40.41 dets), and went at it. I still see drops into the 30's in some places (of course, I was in some wacked out player-loaded pubs too, lol). All I can say is it's awesome! On the other hand, I'd like my original sniper rifle back. That lightning gun, while well intentioned, is irritating. Somehow it doesn't feel like it hits where I aim, probably because it doesn't look like it (the lightning arcs toward the target and stuff, but it's exactly that arcing that's weird). And the shock rifle sound is wimpy (still, same as in the leaked version). It'd be nice to have the nice full BOOM back when you combo someone.

Otherwise, I can live with those few things. Time to bring on the retail, and also to get an AthlonXP 2700+ and nV30 (or better, a 3400+ barton and an nV30 ).

Last edited by Kruno; 09-14-02 at 03:23 AM.
Kruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 03:28 AM   #92
sebazve

all i can say it is more of the same. It is too fast for me it is just push your freaking mouse the fast you can and use the teleporter. Although i was never a big fan of these fast games. Oh, well going back to JK2. One thing the game looks beautiful, I cant wait to play DeusEX 2 or Unreal 2 oh man especially DeusEX the first one was sooooo cooool.

Old 09-14-02, 03:31 AM   #93
Falkentyne

Send a message via ICQ to Falkentyne Send a message via AIM to Falkentyne Send a message via Yahoo to Falkentyne

Eh? The shockrifle sounds wimpy ? which sounds? the primary and secondary fire sounds do sound a bit weak, but the pulse explosion combo sounds like a REALLY big boom, MUCH louder than in UT. You sure we're talking about the same thing?

Oh, and the rocket launcher, even though you have to hold secondary fire to get the 3 spread attack (and hold down primary to have them shoot at one location), is missing the grenade mode? Why ?
Falkentyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 04:26 AM   #94
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

My bet is that the grenade launcher is another weapon all together.
Old 09-14-02, 06:57 AM   #95
SavagePaladin
info*****

MUAH
That's o you suckers who told me it wouldn't run fine on my gf3ti200....it certainly does, with details maxed (mind you, I have no idea what 'fine' registered as, but I noticed no drops)

Woot woot
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 06:58 AM   #96
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
My bet is that the grenade launcher is another weapon all together.
Yep. The default weapon you spawn with, the machine gun sorta looking thing, also has the grenade launcher built into it. The alt-fire is for grenades, and holding the alt fire button longer before releasing the grenade makes it fire with more force (so a short lob uses a quick touch, which you can blast it a good distance by holding for a bit..).

Hmm.. 3 rocket spread. I liked the 6. But the lack of the grouped or flat spread option is also a bit disappointing. (In UT, fire a 6 rocket spread using the primary held down, and it'll be a flat spread. Start the six pack by hit the primary and holding it, but add-in the alt fire button before releasing the primary, and you get a grouped fire where the rockets all stay close together in a round looking bunch.)

I'll have to mess with the game a bit later today and listen again to the shock sounds, then go into UT and do the same. I still like UT weapon sounds better, mostly. Then again, I'm used to it more, having played it since it originally first came out.