Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-03, 11:08 AM   #1
rberry88

Default What haven't I tried? driver + Suse 8.2 help

Okay, I've read all the posts, searched here and at www.linuxquestions.org forums for the answer but cannot find it. I am following the instructions in the FAQ's in that forum (Newbie forum)and
the README (here) about installing the NVIDIA drivers. I get to the part where the nvidia installer runs and says something like it couldn't find the correct compiled headers and it would try to download
them from ftp.nvidia.com. Then another error message comes up saying it couldn't connect to ftp.nvidia.com because of DNS errors and to try again later. This has happened since yesterday. After this
it kicks me back out to text-mode.

Is there a step I'm missing?? I printed the instructions from the FAQ and all seems to go fine until this happens.

Next Try:

Okay it seems that if I follow what the FAQ but in runlevel 3 I no longer get the ftp error, however, whether I choose yes or no to dowload from ftp//download.nvidia.com it still gives me an error that
says it cannot compile a new header for the kernal that is currently running. I've gone into 'install new programs' and made sure I had

GCC
kernal source
Xfree86-devel
Xfree86-headers

all are loaded (check marks in the boxes).

Do I maybe need to make sure that the kernal that is listed in YAST2 for my graphic card is a certain one before I do this. And if so which one would I choose for a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600?? I see a selection for 5800 and possibly a generic for DDR and 256. The one that currently shows up is 0x312.

The exact error, if it helps, that I get from the nvidia installer is as follows:

--
Error: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kerner header files for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux Systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernal-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel header files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with '--kernel-include-path' command line option.
---

I have everything in the 'install software' section installed except for two items that say they are more multi-processor machines. Is there a way to find out if the correct kernel is in my system??

I took a different approach and attempted to install the driver using the run command instead of the nvidia installer (posted in the README of the driver) and this is the output:

-----

You Appear to be compiling the Nvidia kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour & system crashes.

If you know what you are doing and want to override this check, you can do so by setting IGNORE__CC__MISMATCH.

In any other case set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

-----

How would I go about doing the last item mentioned, setting the CC environment variable??

Should I give up or anyone have any ideas??

rberry88
rberry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 11:31 AM   #2
Thorsten Lange

As for the last part of your post: this error message is completely "normal" for a SuSE 8.2. The Makefile gets a bit confused when it sees the version number SuSE's prerelease gcc reports.

Try "make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 install"
Thorsten Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-03, 12:00 PM   #3
rberry88

Sorry for the newbie banter but, do I type that in before I run the driver file or after I run it and I get the error about the CC mismatch??

rberry88
Old 08-26-03, 12:09 PM   #4
Thorsten Lange

Sorry for being a bit terse. I assumed that you were doing a completely manual installation (i.e. go to the module's source directory and type "make install").

If you use a different method, you might be better off setting an environment variable in your shell. If you use bash (most probably), type "export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH; IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1"

Other shells may require different syntax (e.g. tcsh: "setenv IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH 1")

HTH
Old 08-26-03, 12:40 PM   #5
rberry88

sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg1.run --extract-only
cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg1
make install

The above is what I do when I try to install and get the 'CC__Mismatch' error.

Do I type the Ignore__CC__mismatch command before I run the above??

rberry88
Old 08-27-03, 05:25 AM   #6
Thorsten Lange

Use the command "make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 install" instead of "make install"
Old 08-27-03, 11:12 AM   #7
rberry88

I finally got it, after pulling my hair out for a while I figured out I had to change the make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 to read make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH= yes . Thanks for the help and I'm on to my next project: getting my onboard nforce2 sound to work.

rberry88