Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-03, 06:45 PM   #1
vrtainment

Default FX5900 PNY Ultra

I have recently purchased a PNY Verto FX 5900 Ultra. Now the card did well for the first and the second boot. Since then already in the "Bios phase" of booting I have vertical stripes and "colons" on the screen everywhere. Since I did exchange the graphics board already once, I wonder whether it has something todo with my motherboard. It is an ASUS P4S8X-X with a 350 W power supply. Bios is uptodate and I have adjusted all bios settings towards PNY's recommendations. Does anyone know/have suggestions what else could be done to get rid of this ?
the extra power supply is connected and working properly.

hartwig
vrtainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 02:28 AM   #2
pii350mmxpc100

Default Re: FX5900 PNY Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by vrtainment
I have recently purchased a PNY Verto FX 5900 Ultra. Now the card did well for the first and the second boot. Since then already in the "Bios phase" of booting I have vertical stripes and "colons" on the screen everywhere. Since I did exchange the graphics board already once, I wonder whether it has something todo with my motherboard.

hartwig
I had a very similer problem with my Leadtek A350 Geforce FX 5900 Ultra. So I inspected the card and heat sink very closely. I Found that on one side the components get to close to the heatsink. And the other side was the same, but the heatsink was machined to compensate.

All I did was to get a very small amount of electracal tape, and placed it under and around to the top surface of the heat sink where the electronic components get to close. The surface area of the tape sould be no larger than 10mm Sqaure (or 1cm square).

Also have a look at how the Card is placed in your AGP slot. Look for a bend in the card. It is normal to have the card touching the sides of the RAM slots, But the card may have been put in with too much force. If that is a problem, take the card out and put it back in. But this time force the case (where the mounting screws are), then secure the mounting screw.

This worked for me, and I hope it solves the problem for you too.

Last edited by pii350mmxpc100; 08-28-03 at 02:33 AM.
pii350mmxpc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 03:02 AM   #3
vrtainment

Thanks very much. seems like this does the job ...

hartwig
vrtainment is offline   Reply With Quote