Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-11, 04:30 PM   #1
News

Post PhysX 2011: Year in Review

It is time to summarize what PhysX Technology has achieved in year 2011, recall the most memorable events and releases.

. GAMES

GPU physics acceleration still can not gain enough momentum ' only two games with support for GPU PhysX effects were released this year, this is the lowest result since Ageia was aquired.

One may call this an agony, but NVIDIA has told us that it was 'conscious decision' ' time was taken to develop and improve underlaying technology (PhysX SDK, APEX, DCC tools), thus sacrificing ability to create content and integrate it into many games.

It was promised that we will see 'more GPU PhysX games next year than you did this year' and even 'a lot more in 2013?.

Meanwhile, both GPU PhysX titles released this year were pretty interesting by themselves:
PhysX SDK as physics engine is still widely adopted by developers ' over 45 PC console and games were released this year, according to our database.

. PHYSX SDK & TOOLS

Looking on the SDK Development you can say where all resources were spent ' brand new PhysX SDK 3.0, rewritten from scratch, optimized and enhanced with new features, was released in Q2 2011, followed by SDK 3.1 and SDK 3.2 Beta. 6-months release schedule was introduced and so far is impeccably fulfilled.

PhysX 3 is a strong technological foundation, that will ensure further expansion, evolution and success of PhysX as physics engine.

NVIDIA APEX 1.0,high-level scalable framework build on top of PhysX SDK, was also revealed for public along with UDK integration, however it can not boast with same release dynamics ' new APEX 1.1, promised to be delivered this autumn is now postponed till 2012. APEX 1.2, fully based on PhysX SDK 3, is also supposed to be released next year.

DCC PhysX plug-ins went throught three versions ' 2.6, 2.61 and 2.7 ' but during this period several compatibility problems and significant delays of releases were faced.

. MISCELLANEOUS

MassFX ' new physics simulation solution, using PhysX SDK engine, was introduced in Autodesk 3ds Max 2012, thus replacing Reactor system, which was based on Havok physics. Rigid Body simulation functionality of MassFX was pretty strong along with better performance, however many users were unhappy with reduced functionality set in comparison to Reactor.

According to yearly survey by Game Developer Magazine, PhysX SDK is preferred physics middleware solution for traditional (big-budget) developers.

PhysX Research Team has showcased some new interesting technologies and prototypes. Some of them will appear in future versions of PhysX engine.

After a long break, new 1.05 version of Hybrid PhysX mod was released to support recent drivers and GPU PhysX games in AMD + NVIDIA configurations.

. . .

Well, that is all for now.

Happy New Year to everybody !

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 04:42 PM   #2
i SPY

Default Re: PhysX 2011: Year in Review

Quote:
GPU physics acceleration still can not gain enough momentum ' only two games with support for GPU PhysX effects were released this year, this is the lowest result since Ageia was aquired.
heh I wonder why..

I say ditch physx 2.x.x for good and make some decent physx 3.x.x games, also optimize the engine or its not worth it at all.. Better save your extra cash for professional driver team
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 09:56 AM   #3
cmsmith

Before I give my response, can I ask what the differences between physx 2.x.x and 3.x.x are?

Having said that, with the current examples of physx its no wonder this stuff isn't taking off. All it's used for is to show a ridiculous amount of paper whirling by in the breeze. Whenever I walk into a room, millions of newspaper pages don't suddenly whirl around after the ridiculous wake of turbelance I leave behind. Are we to believe Batman eats a large amount of Mexican food prior to entering the rooms in his game which explains the "wakes" of turbelence behind him that drive all the papers crazy?

It's time for some real physics and not just dumb effects that exists in some cheesy game. When are we going to this stuff applied to planes in simulators? ::cough::cough:: Microsoft Flight ::cough::cough:: How about seeing this stuff being used to model the behavior the vehicles in races, dang you Dirt 3?

It's also time Microsoft add this stuff to DX which would help solve another problem with physx: it is used by Nvidia only which basically means half of all game players are left out to rot as they use AMD so developers won't jump on this stuff. Physx appears to be added only by Nvidia's programmer who add this stuff to games through their "The Way Its Meant to be Played" Campaign. If Microsoft were to add this stuff to DX, then it would be a standard everyone can use.

Or, Havoc needs to use OpenCL and accelerate their physics API on the video card. There API is cross platform capable. If they were to accelerate their API everywhere, then it would take off. Heck, it would tickle me pink if MS were to buy up Havoc and add it to DX.

As long as what we have is Physx, then it will never takeoff. Instead, it will be used to add a ridiculous amount of leaves driven by wind down some alley in yet another game which Nvidia's programmers have added content to.

Last edited by cmsmith; 12-31-11 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added text
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 12:28 AM   #4
therealjman87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
As long as what we have is Physx, then it will never takeoff. Instead, it will be used to add a ridiculous amount of leaves driven by wind down some alley in yet another game which Nvidia's programmers have added content to.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Nvidia's programmers do not arbitrarily add ridiculous effects to games. PhysX is used for ALL the physics and animation in most games that use it. That includes stuff that might not be immediately apparent to you, like articulated characters, trigger volumes, raycasting and overlap testing (e.g. bullets, melee attacks), and some of the more obvious things like clouds of swirling particles. Don't pretend to know that a particular technology will fail simply because you do not understand it.

And btw, physics engines are already being used for flight simulators and vehicle physics. You just dont realize it because it's not a swirling cloud of obviousness.
therealjman87 is offline   Reply With Quote