Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 05:21 PM   #1
The Baron

Angry Bye Intel

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/25...eatures+.shtml
Old 09-10-02, 05:22 PM   #2
netviper13
Treehugger

Wow that sucks. Hope AMD doesn't decide to follow.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 05:44 PM   #3
volt

It was actually AMD and Microsoft that came up with this idea. I don't remember the link though, sorry
I'm hoping NVIDIA (lol) will think about CPU production. I think the market has 1 more spot for a biggy like them :>
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 06:52 PM   #4
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Maybe there's a hope for a real VIA CPU now!
Old 09-10-02, 07:26 PM   #5
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Maybe there's a hope for a real VIA CPU now!
ditto that! hahah, whatever they have now is simply...umm not useful
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 12:12 AM   #6
sbp

These companies keep pushing this stuff. What about we the users want? Oh sorry we should only pony up the moola and be quiet.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 04:59 AM   #7
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Think ill go pick up a few XP2600's soon in case AMD decide they want to turn into plebs too
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 06:19 AM   #8
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Think ill go pick up a few XP2600's soon in case AMD decide they want to turn into plebs too
good idea! Grab'em while you can! Kinda like the Celeron 300 (old timers will remember that overclocking gem)

I dunno though, Anti Piracy features built-in to a main CPU? Sounds a little fishy to me, Inquirer worthy. And even still who knows, maybe some motherboards will have a builtin feature to disable that anti-piracy nonsense. And if Intel is crazy enough to do this, it might open the market for even more competitors which means lower prices!!!

Hmmm... SIS CPU... I'd try it!

Old 09-11-02, 10:32 AM   #9
Chiles4

Putting that big brother crap into a processor is like having devices built into our vehicle to track our whereabouts. I can understand having the anti-piracy stuff built into software but putting it into a processor is sheer lunacy.

Most people fear privacy intrusions and the loss of liberty from our government - not many fear or suspect the real "sleeper" - big business.

Hey, Cyrix makes processors!
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 12:12 PM   #10
PCarr78

"Intel chip to include antipiracy features"

F*CK that ****.

Amd for me, then.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 01:59 PM   #11
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiles4
Hey, Cyrix makes processors!
uuuhhhh, VIA bought Cyrix...
Old 09-11-02, 11:03 PM   #12
Essense

sounds crappy to me. If there's an alternative availible with similiar performance i'd buy it over that crap anyday. However, we may find outselves stuck with little option. In such case I'd go with what I always do, price/performance.

Regards,
Mike