Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 07:01 PM   #1
AlgUSF

Exclamation Hard Crash

After I installed the nVidia kernel driver, and the nVidia GLX/X Driver my system seems to hang if I leave it alone for a while. I am running an Asus A7V-333 (KT333 chipset) with an Athlon 2100+. I had it running on the standard drivers "nv" before and it wouldn't hang. Anyone have a clue might be wrong? I am running the 1.0-2960 drivers.
AlgUSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 08:06 AM   #2
AlgUSF

Default More Details

I tried switching to from AGPGART to the NVidia AGP. Still happens. I am using the rh-athlon driver, could it be that I used the RPMs for the driver, and I upgraded it from the 2.4.18 kernel it came with to the 2.4.19 kernel? My config is an AMD Athlon 2100+, Asus A7V333 (KT333)Motherboard, GeForce 4MX440.
Old 09-11-02, 02:26 PM   #3
Klaus-P

Does your system really running fine when you do not leave it alone?

Check also your motherboard BIOS settings and
do also try to disable ANY power saving options.
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 02:29 PM   #4
AlgUSF

Default Kernel

Yeah, I was working on it for 4 hours straight, but the I left it alone for an hour and it hung. That is usually what happens. Should I also uninclude APM from the kernel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus-P
Does your system really running fine when you do not leave it alone?

Check also your motherboard BIOS settings and
do also try to disable ANY power saving options.
Old 09-11-02, 02:58 PM   #5
Thunderbird

Try the new 3123 drivers perhaps they fix the problem.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 04:57 PM   #6
AlgUSF

Default Done!

I disabled APM in the bios, took APM out of the kernel. Upgraded to 3123 of the kernel driver and the GLX/X driver. Now comes the waiting part......
Old 09-11-02, 08:17 PM   #7
AlgUSF

Default Works

Looks like it works.....
Old 09-12-02, 06:41 AM   #8
tedkaz

Lightbulb Are you using 3Com nic card?

I have simillar problem, X lock up playing tuxracer and sometimes screen saver. Someone in IRC told me they tracked it down to the 3Com nic, with 2.4.18 kernels and nvidia driver.

This makes sense because with the 2.4.9.X kernel in RHL 7.2 I had no issues like this.

His solution was use an Intel nic. Not a good option for me because the two nics are built into my motherboard :-(.
tedkaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-02, 09:01 AM   #9
traverse

Exclamation Crashing as well...

I run RH7.3 on a Athlon 900,Gigabyte GA-7DXR and a GeForce4 4200 card.

It crashes for me too. In general there are two behaviors that I notice since I replaced my voodoo card with the NVidia card (aside from faster screen savers):

1. The "interupt that won't quit" error: Basically I'm working in X happily as can be, and suddenly everything except the mouse pointer freezes, and the pointer moves very choppily. Mp3's will continue to play, but slowly at points. This indicates to me that somehow some kind of interrupt is stealing away my CPU as well as causing X to crash. Keyboard doesn't respond, although I have had success logging in remotely during this behavior to attempt a reboot. Unfortunately this problem invariably leads to problem #2 on such attemps:

||
\/

2. The "no hope for recovery" error. Basically X locks terminally, the keyboard "num lock" and "caps lock" (i think, or it could be all three) flash on and off, and my system is dead to all input whatsoever. Generally these problems are more apt to occur when changing resolutions or starting X, although they've happened at all times of use.

Now sometimes I'm lucky enough to get #1 before I get #2, other times it skips right to #2. I've disabled almost every non-essential thing (com ports, etc) but this has not helped anything. Also, curiously, when I set my AGP port in BIOS to be "as slow as possible", These errors happen more regularly. When I set the AGP bus to be at full speed, they happen less frequently.

Just to give you an idea, I had my system running 8 days and now just 5 days before it happens. When I'm not at my system I'll switch to a virtual terminal to (hopefully) lessen the liklihood of a crash in my absence.

I'll try disabling all the power saving stuff I can to see if that helps.
Any ideas? Nvidia???
Old 09-12-02, 11:57 AM   #10
Klaus-P

Try to disconnect your computer from the network, become single user and do also try to remove the lan cable.

Perhaps somebody contacts your Xserver and causes the problem.
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 01:50 AM   #11
ripperda
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Crashing as well...

Quote:
Originally posted by traverse
1. The "interupt that won't quit" error: Basically I'm working in X happily as can be, and suddenly everything except the mouse pointer freezes, and the pointer moves very choppily. Mp3's will continue to play, but slowly at points.
I had a similar problem that actually ended up being that I forgot to configure my kernel for my motherboard chipset. That caused my hard drive to drop back to PIO mode, which thrashed with the nvidia interrupts. Reconfiguring and recompiling my kernel fixed that problem for me.

Quote:
2. the keyboard "num lock" and "caps lock" (i think, or it could be all three) flash on and off, and my system is dead to all input whatsoever.
that sounds like kdb is breaking into the kernel (it flashes those lights repeatedly to signal the user). Did you compile a kernel with kdb enabled?
ripperda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 07:46 AM   #12
traverse

Actually, I'm not using a custom-compiled kernel.. I'm using the 2.4.18-10 from redhat. Good points, though-- I'll try compiling my own and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip.