Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-04-08, 01:16 AM   #1
rapsure

Default Please make >71.86.07 compatible with xorg-server 1.5.x

I have a few computers that need the old legacy driver and making it compatible with xorg 7.4 or xorg-server 1.5.x will allow me to update the computers. I am aware of the symbol changes that occurred, but having it done by the middle of December would really help me.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 09:37 AM   #2
Windseeker

Default Re: Please make >71.86.07 compatible with xorg-server 1.5.x

isn't this what you want?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122423
But since it's sticky here at this subforum, I assume you tried this one already...
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 10:48 AM   #3
rapsure

I need the driver for Geforce 2 GTS, and TNT2 era hardware. 71.86.07 is the newest beta that supports such hardware but is not compatible with xorg-server-1.5.x
Old 11-04-08, 01:06 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

We plan on updating the 71.86.xx family of legacy graphics driver releases for X.Org 1.5, but unfortunately, this will likely not happen in the near future.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 03:08 PM   #5
mooninite

Spend $20 and get a FX5200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814145067R
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 01:28 AM   #6
rapsure

I could do that for my computer, but for computers I don't own that isn't an option. What I'll probably do is just wait for up to a year before I just push xorg-server 1.5.x and just change to the nv driver. It makes me wonder how long nvidia is going to support the old cards that are geforce 3 and older. TNT era is like 10 years old now. Programming guides for that old of a graphics chip would be really nice as the nouvou guys could complete the driver for that era of hardware. I actually bet nvidia couldn't even produce the documents for that old of hardware. All of the graphics geforce 3 and older are fixed pipeline cards. No shaders on those. Being an EE major myself I sort of understand what has happened to those docs. The docs aren't the best and probably aren't complete as is. A lot of the knowledge of driver writing for those cards is tied up in only maybe three programmers left at nvidia due to turn over. Oh and those programmers would have to review docs just to really program for them. The human mind doesn't retain information forever.
Old 11-05-08, 12:37 PM   #7
pe1chl

There is always going to be a conflict between keeping old hardware and wanting to update to the newest software...
Nvidia videocards are not alone in this. It is true for lots of other components.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 12:56 PM   #8
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
There is always going to be a conflict between keeping old hardware and wanting to update to the newest software...
Nvidia videocards are not alone in this. It is true for lots of other components.
I don't agree here.
E.g. I own a Laptop with a R100 (radeon mobility M6), built somewhere in late 2001.
Thanks to the open specs there is a very good 2D driver, accaleration RENDER really well.

I also own another Laptop with GeForce-488Go (GF4mx), bought early 2004. The GPU is supported through 93.xx series legacy driver.
Although very good for OpenGL-1.3 stuff, it does very poor at 2D - even Nouveau does a better job here.

I completly understand why NVIDIA does not release any information for new GPUs as AMD/ATI does. However for older GPUs it would be great, leaving legacy support to the community.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-08, 02:52 PM   #9
JoeJaz2
Geforce4 TI 4600

I am glad that there are at least indeterminate plans to fix this incompatibility. However, I am disappointed that an otherwise still strong running computer (a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a GeForce2 Go) which has worked beautifully in linux and with nvidia drives in the past, is reduced to rendering windows slow enough to watch it as it draws the widgets - it is painful to look at. Discounting the nvidia 71 / xorg 7.4 incompatibility for which the only alternative (vesa/nv drivers) cause extreme artifacting, the computer still runs Ubuntu 8.10 very well. At a Linux install-fest yesterday, we encountered another solid computer with the exact same incompatibility problem.
I don't mean to sound like I am complaining, I just hope to one day use my computer and its Nvidia hardware to its fullest potential (or at least to a usable potential). I mean, that's the exciting part about Linux, right? Resurrecting slightly older, but good computers to be useful again? I know there are plenty of others in this same situation who would be very grateful and excited to see updates made to this legacy driver and use their old, but powerful computers with Linux and Nvidia again.
Thanks for listening,
Joe
JoeJaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 04:19 PM   #10
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

JoeJaz2, GeForce2 Go is supported by 96.43.09, which supports the X server in Ubuntu 8.10.

See Appendix A for the list of which GPUs are supported in which drivers.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 11:28 AM   #11
dr_asfak

I am having Asus A7N266-VM Motherboard with geforce2 integrated GPU. NVIDIA, and Appendix A suggest me to use 96xx driver. But it has never ever worked for me or any other person with same chipset. 71xx works with a charm. I don't know who is wrong but as a user i have tried 96xx driver since the begining on all distros including mandriva, opensuse and ubuntu but failed to work with same problem. All forums have supported this evidence. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100920

Now Jockey in intrepid and Restricted Driver manager for the same reason forces me to install 96xx driver which freezes my PC. I have tried almost all option from changing different option in xorg.conf and even bios. It could be either a bug or wrong suggestion in Appendix A. Please look into the matter.

I am waiting for 71xx driver for my Ubuntu Intrepid. Hope you release them at the earliest. I have tried 71.86.07 but it failed. xorg could not start. I was later informed that it is incompatible with recent xorg. I also tried 96.43.09. but it gave me almost unusable desktop where i could see only zebra strips on my desktop and later freezed it.

And BTW whats the sense hiding old hardware specs. Though IP problem is known but NVIDIA must have some work around. NVIDIA linux developer must help in some way to Nouveau people without opening specs.
dr_asfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 08:32 PM   #12
mahsah

I have an old Nvidia RIVA TNT2 card for my desktop. I have been using Nvidia drivers for long time. But ever since I upgraded to Fedora 9 and xorg 1.5 my 3D is broken. I am eagerly waiting for the legacy driver 71.x.
Please make them available at earliest.
mahsah is offline   Reply With Quote