Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 08:09 PM   #1
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms
Default Athlon XP Support in Mobo?

Will my Epox 8kta3+ support an Athlon XP? According to the "recommended processor list" it won't, but that list is just like the "Ages 3+" warnings on stuff...you know, like legos and chainsaws. Is support for the XP dependant on chipset?
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 01:06 PM   #2
Switch

Default Re: Athlon XP Support in Mobo?

Quote:
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms
Will my Epox 8kta3+ support an Athlon XP? According to the "recommended processor list" it won't, but that list is just like the "Ages 3+" warnings on stuff...you know, like legos and chainsaws. Is support for the XP dependant on chipset?
Hmm.. As far is XP support being dependant on chipset... that's a yes and no question. Everything as far back as the KT133A chipset will run an AthlonXP, though the KT133 won't. The chipset will support the Athlon XP, but that doesn't necessarily mean the motherboard will.

Being the 8KTa3+ is built around the KT133A, I'd say you've got a good chance of it working, even if Epox says it won't support it.

Though, I have yet to see a Tbred work on a KT133A.

Last edited by Switch; 09-11-02 at 01:11 PM.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 04:14 PM   #3
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

The problem with running a high-PR XP on an older mobo, such as the 8KTA3, is that the motherboard becomes a bottleneck instead of the CPU; the CPU is running so much faster than the FSB that it wastes a lot of time doing nothing. The KT333 would fit an XP better, but that doesn't mean that XP + KT133A = bad.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-02, 01:31 PM   #4
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
The problem with running a high-PR XP on an older mobo, such as the 8KTA3, is that the motherboard becomes a bottleneck instead of the CPU; the CPU is running so much faster than the FSB that it wastes a lot of time doing nothing. The KT333 would fit an XP better, but that doesn't mean that XP + KT133A = bad.
At the price of AthlonXP's right now it'd be better to get an XP instead of just upgrading to a Tbird though. So even if the XP is bottlenecked by the memory, it's still better than a hot running tbird.
Old 09-12-02, 04:12 PM   #5
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Definitely. That's what I'm going to do; I'm replacing a 900MHz Tbird with an XP 1800+.

Old 09-12-02, 04:48 PM   #6
Switch

Quote:
Definitely. That's what I'm going to do; I'm replacing a 900MHz Tbird with an XP 1800+.
Yeah, my mobo/cpu setup is just like yours, temperatures and all.. heatsink is an AX7 though, I just ordered 1600+ and can't wait to get it. My GF3 will finally get to show some muscle.
Old 09-12-02, 07:00 PM   #7
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

I'm waiting to auction mine off; I'd rather not spend my own money

Old 09-12-02, 08:06 PM   #8
Switch

Quote:
I'm waiting to auction mine off; I'd rather not spend my own money

Yeah, I would have liked to have sold mine before I bought my XP but a 900 isn't gonna go for much these days. What's the highest you can take that CPU anyway? For me pretty much anything after 1050 or so isn't within reach.

Old 09-13-02, 06:25 AM   #9
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Nothing higher than 1000 without random segfaults, Oopses and crashes. Ugggh.

Old 09-13-02, 09:32 AM   #10
Switch

Quote:
Nothing higher than 1000 without random segfaults, Oopses and crashes. Ugggh.
Yeah, the 900's definitely were no AXIA chip, that's for sure. I could take mine pretty close to 1.1, around 1080 was it's limit..
Old 09-13-02, 07:08 PM   #11
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms

My bro has been playing Morrowind on a 1 GHz. I feel sorry for him. I finally convinced him to upgrade and then I had to tell him it wouldn't work. I am going to have him upgrade and then if it won't work we will sell it for a profit. After all, we do live in Idaho.
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 09:03 PM   #12
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms
My bro has been playing Morrowind on a 1 GHz. I feel sorry for him. I finally convinced him to upgrade and then I had to tell him it wouldn't work. I am going to have him upgrade and then if it won't work we will sell it for a profit. After all, we do live in Idaho.
Lol, well I got my 1600+ from newegg today and lemme tell ya. It took hours getting it to work. First it wouldn't boot, then it boots but won't let me change ANY value in the bios. I flashed to an older bios and same thing. I loaded "optimized defaults" and everything works from then on; flashed back to most recent bios. After it was all said and done, I overclocked it as high as the motherboard's multiplier would let me, which was 12.5. So it's 1662. I'm happy. No other problems thus far, on a board that doesn't support an AthlonXP.