Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-12, 07:37 AM   #1
Gigadoc 2

Default Viewing angle of a S22A350H

Hi,
I just got myself a 22" widescreen HD monitor from Samsung, the S22A350H. Before that, I was using a L90D+ from Hyundai, and was very happy with its quality, but wanted a bigger resolution.
Now, the S22A350H has nice colors and a good contrast, just like all the positive reviews said, but it seems that the angle sufficient for viewing the colors correctly is very limited: At the bottom half of the screen, the colors get brighter, and light blue like the one used on this site almost gets yellow. I can minimize the effect by turning the contrast to 0, but thats not the best solution…

The strange thing is, that this screen is one of the most popular in the 22" segment of amazon, and almost only has 4 or 5 star reviews, while the top reviews are even praising the extreme angles from which you could look at the screen.

Now either I am doing something wrong, or I simply bought the wrong screen. In the latter case, could you recommend me a screen with a similar price (around 150€)?

The screen is placed a bit below the height of my eyes, but of course my viewing angle varies, I am not sitting in the same position all the time
Gigadoc 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 11:24 AM   #2
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon
Default Re: Viewing angle of a S22A350H

I think about the viewing angle they are talking about left to right and not up and down. Budget TN panels often do have problems with colors like that though so its best to go down to a store and see the real thing when its on and then decide.

Im using a Samsung Syncmaster P2450H, its good on the left to right but not so much on up and down angles
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 01:13 PM   #3
frenchy2k1

There are 3 technologies used to manufacture LCD panels:
TN: cheap, fast refresh, but worst viewing angles and color rendition
PVA: middle in everything
IPS: best picture quality and viewing angle, but more expansive

The monitor you bought is a TN panel, so bad vertical angles are somewhat expected. If both color rendition and view angles are important to you, you'll need to upgrade to an IPS screen. Expect a 30%+ price premium though...
Old 01-20-12, 03:25 PM   #4
Gigadoc 2

Thanks a lot for the information, I might go for ips (the reaction time may be low, but its still higher than the 8msecs from the Hyundai, and I'm not a good gamer anyway).

Do you have any recommendations on IPS? I found a frew ips-panel screens from LG and ilyama, which manufacturer would you recommend?
Old 01-20-12, 04:09 PM   #5
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigadoc 2 View Post
Thanks a lot for the information, I might go for ips (the reaction time may be low, but its still higher than the 8msecs from the Hyundai, and I'm not a good gamer anyway).

Do you have any recommendations on IPS? I found a frew ips-panel screens from LG and ilyama, which manufacturer would you recommend?
Dell U3011
/thread

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 10:06 AM   #6
Gigadoc 2

Eh, this monitor is out of my league^^

But what about the U2312HM, also from Dell with IPS?