Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-11, 01:09 PM   #1
Kain

Default Help! Laggy BIOS

I'm building the desktop that is listed in my sig. I am still waiting for the RAM, fans for the H100, optical drive, and mouse. Just to turn it on and see the BIOS, I used RAM from my brother's desktop which is Patriot DDR3 1600 MHz. I used just 1 stick of 4 GB RAM from his computer.

When I entered the BIOS, moving to different options was sometimes laggy (there was a slight delay from keyboard input to actually moving to a different option) and once the BIOS even locked-up on me and I had to reset the computer. Was this because of the RAM?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 01:23 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Help! Laggy BIOS

That is really hard to say. How ever stress on the RAM while in the BIOS should be almost non-existant. Especially with a 4GB stick @ DDR3 1600. This could be the sign of a larger problem.

As you're posting here I can assume you have access to another computer. I'd DL the latest BIOS for your new MOBO and try flashing the BIOS. Then see if that problem occurs again. Could be a buggy BIOS, could be indication of some HW issues. You almost never hear of defective CPUs but as rare as they are I never rule it out as a possibility, could also be his stick of RAM not playing nice with your mobo.

Quick story-

When I first built my present computer finances were a bit tight so I just got 4GB (2x2GB) of G.SKill DDR3 1600. Worked great from the get go. Well, about 8 months later I wanted more RAM as I was starting to do more with VMs and such so I was quickly hitting my 4GB and hate having a page file. So I ordered 2x1GB of Crucial DDR3 1333 value RAM. When I got the RAM I went to install it and my system would not POST. I removed the Crucial RAM and just left the G. Skill in- it posted fine. Took the G.Skill out and put the Crucial in, POSTed fine and even booted to desktop no problems. I ran memtest over night on the Crucial and then again the next night on the G.Skill, no errors. Yet if I tried to run both the G.Skill and the Crucial together even after manually setting the memory options in the BIOS to match the slower Crucial sticks... no POST.

Well, about 8 months later I flashed my BIOS to the latest and decided to try that Crucial RAM once more. Worked perfectly with the G.Skill and Crucial together. I now had 6GB of DDR3 1333 in dual channel. And it was memtest stable over night.

Short of it is your mobo and CPU combo may not play nice with that particular stick. RAM, MOBOs, and CPUs can be odd items to pair up. Problems occuring for what seems like no logical reason.

I say flash that BIOS and see what happens. If you still have issues you could either RMA the mobo and CPU or wait untill your RAM arrives and try it again. It may work fine with the RAM you ordered and just not like your bro's G.Skill RAM.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 06:34 AM   #3
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I'm building the desktop that is listed in my sig. I am still waiting for the RAM, fans for the H100, optical drive, and mouse. Just to turn it on and see the BIOS, I used RAM from my brother's desktop which is Patriot DDR3 1600 MHz. I used just 1 stick of 4 GB RAM from his computer.

When I entered the BIOS, moving to different options was sometimes laggy (there was a slight delay from keyboard input to actually moving to a different option) and once the BIOS even locked-up on me and I had to reset the computer. Was this because of the RAM?
Some configurations just cause issues. It's like the single stick of Patriot. The memory might have issues, might have its settings incorrectly detected, or maybe the wrong density. Have you tried reseating the memory? Have you tried moving slots?

When you get your memory in you'll know if its the memory or motherboard for sure.

I've also seen processors seating/cooling/defects cause similar issues.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 10:05 AM   #4
Kain

Turns out it wasn't a laggy BIOS as it happens on just on the main screen where the CPU frequency and temps are updated every second or so. During the update, the BIOS would slow down making it feel laggy.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote