Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-02, 12:27 PM   #1
CraigGen

Unhappy OMG, M$ look to have bought RARE

http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ik...ct=ST;f=1;t=20

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...me=dev&aid=663

http://www.gamecube-uk.com/news/news.php?id=256

This is truly a sad day for console gaming if it's true.

Do M$ truly think they can just keep buying their way into everything ?
First Bungie, and they nicked Halo right under the noses of PC and MAC users. Then got the balls to say we are going to get a CONVERSION !?! And in a years time ?

Are the days gone when a console can stand up on it's own merrits and have the owning company *persuade* developers, not buy them ?

From what I've heard and read, Nintendo could lose Starfox Adventures, and Perfect Dark. With those and more becoming XBox exclusives.
I really like the Gamecube, but if this happens then I think it will seriously hurt the cube and Nintendo.
I really wanted to see Rare go multiplatform, NOT Xbox only.
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
CraigGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 04:14 PM   #2
SavagePaladin
info*****

I don't personally care either way, as I wasn't really interested in picking up a gamecube, and still am on the box
The ps2 is a 'maybe'
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 06:22 PM   #3
StealthHawk

how is the "underhanded." since when did Rare make multiplatform games? up till this poiint AFAIK they have all been Nintendo exclusive. i would rather have the games on Xbox with the chance for a PC port.

edit: isn't Star Fox coming out this year? too late to can it if you ask me. and isn't Star Fox a licensed Nintendo character?
Old 09-11-02, 06:54 PM   #4
CraigGen

Well, RARE were talking about going Multiplatform as their contract with Nintendo was ending.

A move I think would be better than M$ buying the company.

And what makes you think that the PC would ever get a port ?

Look at the Halo issue, I believe we are only getting a port because of the fuss we all made, and M$ don't want to look too selfish. And then, it's still 2 years AFTER of the Xbox version.

Also ,Does it matter when Starfox was coming out ?

If M$ *do* get this deal then they can do what they want with Starfox as it's RARE's code, not Nintendo's.
They could even change it slightly to avoid any Nintendo copyrights.
Either way, it's only going to be Xbox owners who will like his news
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
Old 09-11-02, 07:09 PM   #5
SavagePaladin
info*****

How do you know MS had anything to do with the PC port of Halo? I distrinctly recall Bungie saying something to the effect of they didn't know what they wanted to do with it.
and I think its in the hands of Gearbox on that same note.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 07:23 PM   #6
CraigGen

MS aren't having any DEVELOPMENT involvement with Halo, they DID however announce a PC version to the world and said that Gearbox had the task of doing the conversion.

So that says to me that they had SOMETHING to do with it, wouldn't you say

And Bungie, despite what you may think, have no say in it anyway.
And what happened to the original code ?
After all, I saw the thing *running* on a PC a couple of years ago.
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
Old 09-11-02, 08:12 PM   #7
Gargr

Default Re: OMG, M$ look to have bought RARE

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigGen
From what I've heard and read, Nintendo could lose Starfox Adventures, and Perfect Dark. With those and more becoming XBox exclusives.

Thats like saying Mario is Xbox exclusive

Nintendo has the rights for almost all(i nt all) games made by RARE = no Star Fox, Perfect Dark, Kameo... for XButt

Last edited by Gargr; 09-11-02 at 08:19 PM.
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 08:21 PM   #8
PCarr78

Default Re: OMG, M$ look to have bought RARE

Quote:
This is truly a sad day for console gaming if it's true.

Do M$ truly think they can just keep buying their way into everything ?
First Bungie, and they nicked Halo right under the noses of PC and MAC users. Then got the balls to say we are going to get a CONVERSION !?! And in a years time ?

From what I've heard and read, Nintendo could lose Starfox Adventures, and Perfect Dark.
<rant>

I'll take a cue from savagepaladin and be the least affected.

LIKE I CARE! I'm a pc gamer, not a console ho.

Bungie: Oh no, halo is xbox only? Boo bloody hoo. What a ****ty game. I'm glad it didn't tarnish the PC's reputation of quality games (DeusEx, SS2, etc).

"Then got the balls to say we are going to get a CONVERSION !?! And in a years time ?"

I like it that way, i wish they would stop porting it right now. I dont want to see the day when every idiot will ranting and raving about that "game" ALL OVER AGAIN. Bungie shoulda stuck with Myth.

Nintendo could lose starfox and perfect dark? Oh what a tragedy

Starfox, i'll admit was acceptable. Maybe even decent.

But Perfect dark was the most horifically ****ty game ever released on the n64. And on any game platform, for that matter.

Nintendo gamers will be happy that their xbox counterparts will be forced to deal with such stinking turds as PerfectCrap.

</rant>

Really.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-02, 08:38 PM   #9
Gargr

Thats from IGNinsider crap or something

"No more rumors.

September 11, 2002 - In past months, UK development studio Rare has been the subject of a seemingly endless stream of rumors, all of them suggesting the company would break from Nintendo's wings and possibly join with a new publisher. Now we have the full story, anonymously confirmed by numerous credible, high-level insiders. The reports are true. We stake our reputation on it.

Nintendo, formerly a 49% shareholder in Rare, had the chance to purchase the company outright nearly a year ago, but refused, according to high-ranking sources. With Rare software contributions amounting to only 9.5% of total revenues in Nintendo's fiscal 2001 year, and a miniscule 1.5% in fiscal 2002, the publisher weighed the benefits and drawbacks of making additional investments in Rare and decided against it.

Rare went on the market. Publishers bid on the company. Activision and Microsoft were both interested in acquiring Rare, but it was Microsoft who won out and delivered the asking prices for the developer and Nintendo's 49% stake in it. Nintendo sold all of its shares in Rare, according to insiders, and the studio's second-party status was terminated.

The obvious questions then: why all of the secrecy and why haven't Rare, Nintendo or Microsoft made any announcements? The truth is that the details have not been finalized. Insiders allege that Nintendo and Rare are still haggling over licenses, and specifically whether or not Rare will be able to purchase the properties it worked on under the Nintendo brand, including Perfect Dark and other trademarks Nintendo holds. Franchises and characters created and owned by Nintendo, of course, including Donkey Kong, will remain in Nintendo's control. An official announcement, though, is not far off. The latest word is that the news will be made public at Microsoft's X02 Europe event which begins September 24 in Seville, Spain.

Meanwhile, sources indicate that Nintendo plans to utilize some of the money it made in the selling of its Rare shares to entice other development studios to make GameCube software, fund new games, and more. The company's de-emphasized focus on a second-party model and its new partnerships with Namco, Sega, Capcom and others exemplifies its change in development philosophy, and leaves no room for an expensive investment in Rare.

Look for much more on this major news as it develops."

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33635420
Old 09-11-02, 09:48 PM   #10
StealthHawk

Quote:
Well, RARE were talking about going Multiplatform as their contract with Nintendo was ending.

A move I think would be better than M$ buying the company.
might have happened, might not have. we might never know now. rumors are rumors though. i can count how many times there were rumors of SquareSoft bringing games out on N64, which obviously never happened.

Quote:
And what makes you think that the PC would ever get a port ?
re-read what i said
Quote:
i would rather have the games on Xbox with the chance for a PC port.
there is no wording there that suggests i think there will be pc ports, just the possibility. whereas, if Rare stayed as Nintendo's lapdog, there would be 0 chance.

Quote:
Also ,Does it matter when Starfox was coming out ?

If M$ *do* get this deal then they can do what they want with Starfox as it's RARE's code, not Nintendo's.
They could even change it slightly to avoid any Nintendo copyrights.
Either way, it's only going to be Xbox owners who will like his news
because if the game is almost finished it would have to be completely rewritten for Xbox. this isn't like the acquisition of Bungie where they were already planning to have Halo come out on pc(i believe they were actually saying it would be on Mac first, although i doubt that would have actually happened). anyway, Xbox and pc both use DirectX, so that would have been a much simpler conversion job.
Old 09-12-02, 04:32 AM   #11
CraigGen

Dan,

I'm a PC gamer and have have been for the last 8 years.

But console gaming is great fun, and you are missing out on some great titles.

And if you REALLY didn't care, then why did you bother replying ?

Just to go into one of your rant modes ?

Gargr.

Apparently, Perfect Dark will be an Xbox exclusive and Nintendo didn't own anything regarding Perfect Dark.
Just something I read on rare.net
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
Old 09-12-02, 05:47 AM   #12
Gargr

Quote:
Gargr.

Apparently, Perfect Dark will be an Xbox exclusive and Nintendo didn't own anything regarding Perfect Dark.
Just something I read on rare.net
Link?