Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-12, 02:07 PM   #25
Cylphid

Default Re: Booting from DVD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I tried disabling it as well, and through the bios. same deal, except the onboard sound didnt come up. I thought maybe having it on would somehow help since it was enabled in vista when i first got the sound card and it was recognized. wish the beta driver would load faster than 11.5kb/sec
It won't disable through the bios? I don't know what to tell ya there, that's a new one to me.

WRT 11.5kb - your next upgrade is your NIC and ISP, right?
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:11 PM   #26
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

i wasn't clear. yes it does diable through the bios, and the realtec sound device then doesn't show up in the control panel, however the sound card is still not recognized. i have it enabled now because i haven't diabled it yet from yesterday when i tried having it on. when i try the beta drivers, i will disable it, and remove the sound card first, boot without it, and reboot and install drivers with the sound card in.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:19 PM   #27
Redeemed

If you're going to replace an integrated item with an add-in card, always disable the integrated item. Don't think that's an official rule or anything () just a rule I always follow. If I'm using an add-in graphics card, I disable the integrated graphics if there are any. If I'm using an add-in NIC, I disable the integrated NIC (unless I plan to use it for ICS or something), etc.

Disable the on-board audio Bob. Remove all drivers for the onboard audio, Bob. Then install the latest drivers for your sound card directly from Creative's website, Bob.

Oh, and you're welcome Bob.

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:26 PM   #28
Cylphid

Quote:
i wasn't clear. yes it does diable through the bios, and the realtec sound device then doesn't show up in the control panel, however the sound card is still not recognized. i have it enabled now because i haven't diabled it yet from yesterday when i tried having it on. when i try the beta drivers, i will disable it, and remove the sound card first, boot without it, and reboot and install drivers with the sound card in.
Ok, that makes sense - when I first installed my X-fi I thought something was wrong because nothing showed up anywhere until I installed the drivers - always thought it was odd that Win7 wouldn't recognize certain newer cards....
Old 02-02-12, 02:34 PM   #29
Redeemed

C'mon Bob, stop being such a newb Bob. I'm highly disappoint in you, Bob.
Old 02-02-12, 07:46 PM   #30
bob saget

Unfortunately. nothing is working so far. The drivers (beta and official release) from the creative website do not want to run through the installation because it cannot detect the soundcard. I tried running through the installation of the drivers on the CD. The actual drivers did not want to install for the same reason. However, another program called creative system information did and seems to be able to see the card. Creative console launcher also does not run. Strangely, when I installed windows7, it did not wipe my hard drive (even though I selected custom install and not upgrade), and at this point, this is the only thing I really have left: reinstall windows. I turned off auto installation of drivers because windows7 just automatically installs microsoft drivers. This is what I am seeing:

Old 02-03-12, 12:42 AM   #31
Redeemed

I gotta' question- why not just use onboard?

Regardless- to do a fresh OS install you don't just select custom. You have to delete the old partition, create a new one and format it, then proceed with the OS install. This will remove *everything* on the hard drive though.

As to the issues, unsure. I've always loathed Creative's drivers. Maybe go back and try some older versions? See if those will work?
Old 02-03-12, 01:05 AM   #32
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I gotta' question- why not just use onboard?

Regardless- to do a fresh OS install you don't just select custom. You have to delete the old partition, create a new one and format it, then proceed with the OS install. This will remove *everything* on the hard drive though.

As to the issues, unsure. I've always loathed Creative's drivers. Maybe go back and try some older versions? See if those will work?
Thank you. Unfortunately, I am afraid that's what I am going to have to do eventually. The reason I am trying so hard to hang on to this sound card is because I listen to a ton of music, and it sounds SO much better with the soundcard. Really like night and day. The clarity and "sharpness" of it is something I would really like not to lose.

Old 02-03-12, 06:30 AM   #33
Cylphid

Quote:
Unfortunately. nothing is working so far. The drivers (beta and official release) from the creative website do not want to run through the installation because it cannot detect the soundcard. I tried running through the installation of the drivers on the CD. The actual drivers did not want to install for the same reason. However, another program called creative system information did and seems to be able to see the card. Creative console launcher also does not run. Strangely, when I installed windows7, it did not wipe my hard drive (even though I selected custom install and not upgrade), and at this point, this is the only thing I really have left: reinstall windows. I turned off auto installation of drivers because windows7 just automatically installs microsoft drivers. This is what I am seeing:

Have you tried adding the card manually? Reinstalling the OS won't help because it doesn't detect that card anyway. Here's a description as it isn't the same as it was in Vista.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
Old 02-03-12, 08:56 AM   #34
Bman212121

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but look in the bios for something like usb emulation mode. If it's off turn it on, if it's on turn it off. That should make it so you won't need to use the ps2 keyboard workaround the next time you put in a boot disc.

Where it says audio device on HD audio bus, can you right click, choose properties. Goto the details tab. Then in the drop down choose hardware IDs. All creative cards should start with: VEN_1102&DEV_0005

If it doesn't have VEN_1102 then chances are it's not a creative card and is the wrong device. Try to find the correct device that is VEN_1102.

I've had issues where the card wasn't sitting correctly in the slot or something. I unplugged it and swapped another card into that slot, let it install. Then put the sound card back in and it seemed to work the 2nd time. I think somewhere I botched the drivers because I was swapping two creative sound cards out from the same slot.

If that is the correct device, you can try to manually force the driver onto the card. Right click on the HD audio bus, right click and choose properties. Go to the properties tab, then click update driver. Tell it no you don't want to connect to windows update, and choose the advanced driver install method. Click don't search I will choose driver to install. Click the have disk button the next screen. Now you will need to browse to the folder the driver is installed in. This is the tricky part. First you will need to run the setup from the driver file you downloaded. Rather than click next through the wizard, minimize the screen. Mine extracted the drivers into C:\windows\temp\CRF000 Yours may or may not be in the same folder. If it is, you should be able to browse to drivers > SBXF > wdm and inside that folder should be a wdma_emu.inf file or something else with .inf extension. Use that full path on the wizard and click okay. (C:\windows\temp\CFR000\drivers\SBXF\wdm) It should bring up a list of sound cards to install with. If it tells you that there is no compatible hardware or something like that then it doesn't see the correct vendor ID string in the inf file that matches your card. That probably means you need to find another driver. (You could try again with the drivers > XFHX > WDM folder as well)
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 12:24 PM   #35
Cylphid

One other item that's an easy fix too - does the upgrade DVD have SP1? If not, I'm pretty sure the drivers won't work without it.
Old 02-03-12, 12:31 PM   #36
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
One other item that's an easy fix too - does the upgrade DVD have SP1? If not, I'm pretty sure the drivers won't work without it.
Yes, I installed SP1.

Thanks for that bman. I will try.