Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-19-02, 08:43 AM   #49
onga

Hi,

This is the first time I've used nvidia drivers or an nvidia card with linux. I just replaced a SiS305 with a GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB Video card today, the mainboard is a Gigabyte 5AA running a K6-2 400Mhz. Sure, its far from a top end PC but it does everything I need it to do.

Anyway, with that said I originally tried the latest drivers (3123), and had a whole lot of problems. Basically 1 of 2 things would happen
1)The system would lock up, no keyboard input acceptable, can't even get a num lock light, but the mouse still moves OR
2) The machine locked up all together, no response.

I originally thought this was issues related to the ALi chipset (although the chipset on this board is not one mentioned in the readme where there are known problems), and I also tried pretty much every suggestion I could (disable a bunch of stuff I'm not going to get into, BIOS settings changes basically).

Anyway, after repeatedly having the system lock (especially apprent when I would play a video in Xine at first, but this was erratic) I tried the 2960 drivers.

Since then I am yet to experience any problems whatsoever. This is all on a relatively fresh install of RH7.3 up.

Any ideas?
Old 09-20-02, 06:32 PM   #50
dfx

Default Re: die after 7 to 9 minutes bug still there

Quote:
Originally posted by konsti
Xfree86-4.2.0, debian sarge, kernel 2.4.20-pre5-ac1, nv-drivers 2960 or 3123:

switch pc on, startx -> Xserver crashes after 7 to 9 minutes.
press RESET button, startx -> X runs for hours.

What does the nvidia drivers or the linux kernel after 7 minutes after power on?
I had the exact same problem with my box after I built it, but it turned out not to be related to any graphics stuff (or x11, or even linux, the same thing happened in xp). The problem was that I had my ram dimm modules in the wrong slots. Stupid me put them into slots 1 and 2 (who would have thought), but of course my motherboard requires them to be in slots 3 and 4. Doesn't make sense? My thoughts exactly. But it helped.
Old 09-20-02, 06:42 PM   #51
dfx

I have had the following problems with the previous nvidia drivers (2960 was the number I think), and because of those problems I don't use them (I use the drivers that come with xfree, so no 3d for me). Has anyone had similar problems, or knows if those are fixed with the new drivers?
  • The dpms mode (monitor power saving) doesn't work right. When dpms is set to standby or off or anything, the monitor doesn't go off completely. It's off for a few seconds, then comes back on, then goes off again, etc. I only noticed this cause I heard the tube's switchon noise every few seconds. Also sometimes it would be "on" for long enough to display an "invalid signal" message. Needless to say, the xfree built in drivers don't do that.
  • It killed my kswapd. According to the linux-kernel mailing list, the drivers have a (well known) memory scribble problem or something, and a common symptom is kswapd crashing after a few days uptime. This may also be caused by some weird athlon/agp interaction, which could be fixed by using mem=nopentium, but I haven't tested that extensively (the dpms thing makes me not use the drivers).
Old 09-21-02, 09:57 AM   #52
phathead296

Default Stop tainting our kernel

I have only one problem with NVIDIA dirvers under Linux. They're closed source. By tainting the kernel, you're driving off a lot of Linux users to use ATI cards so that they can have a GPL'd driver.

The only other problem I have is to use GL applications (like UT2003 or Tux Racer) I have to run X on one monitor instead of my dual head setup I normally run. When are you going to fix this?

Of course, if the driver were open source, someone else could do it for you........

Phathead
Old 09-21-02, 01:38 PM   #53
crimsun

Default Re: Stop tainting our kernel

Quote:
Originally posted by phathead296
I have only one problem with NVIDIA dirvers under Linux. They're closed source. By tainting the kernel, you're driving off a lot of Linux users to use ATI cards so that they can have a GPL'd driver.

The only other problem I have is to use GL applications (like UT2003 or Tux Racer) I have to run X on one monitor instead of my dual head setup I normally run. When are you going to fix this?

Of course, if the driver were open source, someone else could do it for you........

Phathead
Nice pedantic piece, you could of course try pasting your configs and your logs.

Driver debugging is an art.
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-02, 01:45 PM   #54
crimsun

Quote:
Originally posted by dfx
I have had the following problems with the previous nvidia drivers (2960 was the number I think), and because of those problems I don't use them (I use the drivers that come with xfree, so no 3d for me). Has anyone had similar problems, or knows if those are fixed with the new drivers?
  • The dpms mode (monitor power saving) doesn't work right. When dpms is set to standby or off or anything, the monitor doesn't go off completely. It's off for a few seconds, then comes back on, then goes off again, etc. I only noticed this cause I heard the tube's switchon noise every few seconds. Also sometimes it would be "on" for long enough to display an "invalid signal" message. Needless to say, the xfree built in drivers don't do that.
  • It killed my kswapd. According to the linux-kernel mailing list, the drivers have a (well known) memory scribble problem or something, and a common symptom is kswapd crashing after a few days uptime. This may also be caused by some weird athlon/agp interaction, which could be fixed by using mem=nopentium, but I haven't tested that extensively (the dpms thing makes me not use the drivers).
What are your DPMS settings in XF86Config-4 and in BIOS?

RE: your second point, kernel 2.4.19 (not pre-2.4.19 nor post-2.4.19) automatically disable certain extensions on Athlon cpus, as do the 3123 drivers. >=2.4.20-pre2 have a suitable workaround.
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-02, 04:50 AM   #55
OneNonly

I've just recently got a GF4 MX460 - DualHead and had no problems running my games (UT2003 demo, or anything under Wine eg SoF2) with it in DualHead mode..

Why not give the new drivers a go - they work like a dream for me..
Old 09-23-02, 08:21 AM   #56
jrockey

Default Still intermittantly freezes

I am still unable to use the Nvidia drivers as I find the latest versions (as well as the previous versions) cause X to hang after a few minutes of use. This happens every time I use the nvidia driver; switching back to XFree86's nv driver stops the hangs.

I compiled the kernel driver and user space library myself, using gcc 2.95.3, 2.96 (mandrake) and 3.2 - same problem. GeForce 2 MMX, XFree86 4.2 and I've tried it with kernels 2.4.18 and 2.4.19.

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to telnet in and see what's going on when X crashes.

Old 09-23-02, 09:06 AM   #57
utiel

Default Re: Still intermittantly freezes

Quote:
Originally posted by jrockey
I am still unable to use the Nvidia drivers as I find the latest versions (as well as the previous versions) cause X to hang after a few minutes of use. This happens every time I use the nvidia driver; switching back to XFree86's nv driver stops the hangs.

I compiled the kernel driver and user space library myself, using gcc 2.95.3, 2.96 (mandrake) and 3.2 - same problem. GeForce 2 MMX, XFree86 4.2 and I've tried it with kernels 2.4.18 and 2.4.19.

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to telnet in and see what's going on when X crashes.
If you have an AMD processor, try append "mem=nopentium" in lilo conf, or at startup (linux mem=nopentium)

And, you can try different options for AGP in XF86Config, I use Nvidia's AGP, with 440BX(pII-350) and nevers hang in my system

Section "Device"
Identifier "RIVA TNT2"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "RIVA TNT2"
BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
Option "NvAGP" "1" #Use Nvidia's AGP
#0:Disable AGP
#1:Nvidia's AGP
#2:User kernel AGP-gart
#3:Try kernel AGP, then NVidia AGP (Default)
EndSection
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-02, 09:16 AM   #58
jrockey

Default Re: Re: Still intermittantly freezes

Quote:
Originally posted by utiel

If you have an AMD processor, try append "mem=nopentium" in lilo conf, or at startup (linux mem=nopentium)

And, you can try different options for AGP in XF86Config, I use Nvidia's AGP, with 440BX(pII-350) and nevers hang in my system

Section "Device"
Identifier "RIVA TNT2"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "RIVA TNT2"
BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
Option "NvAGP" "1" #Use Nvidia's AGP
#0isable AGP
#1:Nvidia's AGP
#2:User kernel AGP-gart
#3:Try kernel AGP, then NVidia AGP (Default)
EndSection
Am I right in thinking AGP is a different method of connection to the board than PCI? If so, my Geforce 2 is PCI (I think) as it appears in /proc/pci

Or I could be completely way out here...

Processor is P4 so no AMD isssue.

cheers
Old 09-23-02, 10:37 AM   #59
dfx

Default Re: Re: Re: Still intermittantly freezes

Quote:
Originally posted by jrockey

Am I right in thinking AGP is a different method of connection to the board than PCI? If so, my Geforce 2 is PCI (I think) as it appears in /proc/pci
AGP devices also show up in /proc/pci, with the difference that usually the "normal" pci bus appears as bus 0, while the agp bus appears as bus 1.
Old 09-24-02, 06:22 PM   #60
w3a5e1

Im trying to get the 3123 drivers to work on my dell inspiron 8100. It has a gf4 440 go. The 2960 drivers worked fine. With the new drivers I can not get any output to my lcd screen(a 1400x1050). When i startx it just goes black I can't get back to my console even if kill the x server. But i can attach a external monitor and switch the output to it. But i can not get the x server to come up on the LCD. The log complains about not being able to validate any of the modes, expect for 640x480, wich it uses and then starts up with out error, but no output. If i switch back to the 2960 drivers everything is fine.
w3a5e1 is offline   Reply With Quote