Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-02, 04:34 AM   #85
luigi

Unhappy Driver crashes with twinview tv-out

I am experiencing serious system crashes after I configured twinview to get the tv-out to work.

The crash is reprodusable:
1. configure some resolutions to use twinview and some that do not use second display.
2. open X in a resolution that is disabled in second display
3. open some application (like xine) that uses advanced XFree86 features like xv extension.
4. use ctrl-+ to change resolution to enable second display. The whole system crashes here.

This occurs only if I first use XFree enxtensions and only after that change resolution. If I first change resolution and that use Xine, it works well. Also openGL acceleration and other stuff works really well, so system can not be misconfigured.

My system data:
- RedHat 7.3 with all redhat updates (also the kernel)
- Latest Nvidia drivers compiled for my kernel.
- Asus GeForce2 MX with 32 MB memory

relevant XFree configuration:
Option "TwinView"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "MetaModes" "1152x864, NULL; 1024x768, NULL; 800x600, 800x600;"

Please try to fix this. This bug is really annoying.
(It exists also in previous driver version.)
luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 07:15 AM   #86
ghz

hi!

my problem is that glxgears show only fps around 240 when i start it using the default windowed size.

and there are performance problems rwhe i am running games like tuxracer, gltron etc..

under windows half-life (which is more complicated than gltron produces lots of fps @ 1024x768 so i don't really know what's the problem..

i think my config is ok..

my hardware:
epox kha+
amd tb 1333@1480
geforce2 mx200 64mb
Old 10-17-02, 11:45 AM   #87
seyfarth

Add me to the list of people with 30 second delays with Geforce 4 MX systems with Athlon XPs. I have tried a variety of suggestions based on trying to avoid what appears to be video mode probing. They did not help.

My best guess is that nVidia will have to solve this problem and that a new driver release will occur within a few weeks. It would be reassuring to hear that nVidia has been able to reproduce the problem and is working on a solution.

Ray
Old 10-17-02, 12:43 PM   #88
sebazve

well i have also a GF4MX on linux with a Thunderbird and im having the same delay issue. It seems it affects all athlons not only XP
Old 10-18-02, 12:26 PM   #89
mrpgmr

Default Red Hat 7.4.18-17.7.x

Just upgraded from 7.4.18-10 and the video driver won't work with the new kernel. Is there a quick way to copy it over and make it work? The old kernel still works great.
Old 10-19-02, 05:36 PM   #90
skwid

Default libGLcore.so.1 Segfaults

Not all applications crash, simple GL applications work. Everything else causes a Segfault in libGLcore.so.1.0.3123.

Running through gdb produces:
Segfault
0x4043e1d3 in __nvsym04304 () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1

I'd fix the problem myself if I had the source.

GeForce2 / gcc version 2.95.3

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card:
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000217:0x1f000314
Old 10-21-02, 09:31 AM   #91
forever

Talking

I have no problems with the driver just I think it lacks some functionality.
I.E. I would like to use my vivo in/out especially IN...

also there is still no tools to monitor/change settings of the card like overclocking it etc...
Old 10-22-02, 01:14 AM   #92
mr-allen

Default APM/AGP

Have the APM / AGP problems been solved for laptop users? And I read a few posts back that this version isn't working for the Dell 8100. I've got the 8200 which is, essentially, the same hardware. No sense in 'upgrading' if it's going to hose the system.

Old 10-22-02, 10:02 AM   #93
ashridah

Quote:
Originally posted by forever
I have no problems with the driver just I think it lacks some functionality.
I.E. I would like to use my vivo in/out especially IN...

also there is still no tools to monitor/change settings of the card like overclocking it etc...
vivo in/out i'm not sure about. is it just rebranded video-in and video out? someone else can answer that better than i can.

there are tools to do the latter however.
you want nvclock. it's been around for ages for overclocking. most of the visual stuff (FSAA, anisotropic filtering, and vsync are controlable via environment variables (read nvidia's README) ).

and depending on the card, if you get rivatv, and lm_sensors, you can sometimes get the temperature readings as well, although you may need to calibrate it yourself, which can be tricky.

ashridah
Old 10-22-02, 11:27 AM   #94
forever

Quote:
Originally posted by ashridah
vivo in/out i'm not sure about. is it just rebranded video-in and video out? someone else can answer that better than i can.

there are tools to do the latter however.
you want nvclock. it's been around for ages for overclocking. most of the visual stuff (FSAA, anisotropic filtering, and vsync are controlable via environment variables (read nvidia's README) ).

and depending on the card, if you get rivatv, and lm_sensors, you can sometimes get the temperature readings as well, although you may need to calibrate it yourself, which can be tricky.

ashridah
Well with sensors I will not experiment but I will find out other tools, as for VIVO - yes it seems to have the same meaning - "video in - video out" just I wonder if it is possible to configure it as standard video4linux device????
Old 10-22-02, 07:00 PM   #95
ScratchMonkey

Default Put kernel version in driver package name

Some actual feedback, from a fellow RPM packager

Please encode the kernel version into the package name. This allows two RPM's for drivers built for different kernels to be installed simultaneously. Each driver will go into the corresponding kernel's module directory.

One typically installs a new kernel without removing the old one, just in case the new one is foobar. But with only one version of the nVidia RPM installed, one won't have X when using the other kernel.

To see an example of this style of packaging, check out the NIC driver SRPM's supplied by Intel.

The resulting package name is pretty ugly because it has both the kernel version and driver version, but the utility of being able to easily switch between two kernels makes up for it.
ScratchMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 07:52 PM   #96
LunaticFringe

Smile Switch from console to X lockup

Ok, after following what's written on here, plus a bit of searching. I disabled APM on this thing (debian unstable, x 4.2.1, kernel 2.4.19 and the 3123 driver).

Now I'm not getting the lockups on a switch to console, then back to X.

Weird, it seems that the problem exists in this particular setup, the last release worked with APM just perfectly