Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-12, 07:48 PM   #1
cythraul

Default Audio HDMI and EDID

Hi everyone,

I use the an HTPC running Fedora 16 (Linux) to send audio and video from an nVidia GT430 (also tested with a 210) to an Onkyo TX-NR609 a/v receiver thru HDMI then the HDMI out of the receiver goes to a Samsung DLP HLN4365W using a HDMI to DVI cable. For anyone interested, that PC is running a MythTV frontend, an opensource media center solution.

The goal is to have the TX-NR609 deal with audio and send video to the DLP. Unfortunately, X.Org reads the EDID data from the receiver which does not contain the correct video information. The result is an overscanned and uncentered image. If I connect the HTPC with the same HDMI to DVI cable directly to the DLP, the image is perfect as X.Org read the EDID data from the DLP with the correct video information.

I’ve extracted the EDID data while connected directly to the TV, deciphered the correct modeline from it, reconnected as stated above (PC-Receiver-DLP,) configured X.Org to ignore the EDID data received from the TX-NR609 and forced the modeline. At that point the image is again perfect as if it was connected directly to the DLP. Unfortunately, by ignoring the EDID data, the nVidia drivers thinks that the HDMI device (TX-NR609) does not have audio capabilities and consequently does not send audio thru.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks!

Last edited by cythraul; 02-04-12 at 09:09 AM.
cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 05:12 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Audio HDMI and EDID

You can try capturing the TV's EDID and feeding it to the driver with the "CustomEDID" option but I don't think this will pass through the ELD (EDID Like Data) which is what's actually needed here.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 06:53 PM   #3
cythraul

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
You can try capturing the TV's EDID and feeding it to the driver with the "CustomEDID" option but I don't think this will pass through the ELD (EDID Like Data) which is what's actually needed here.
Yes I forgot to add that. I did try that but it does the same thing as specifying the modeline: no audio since the EDID file does not contain the audio block.

I wish there was a way to force HMDI audio. Alternatively, add the audio block of the A/V receiver to the DLP EDID file and use CustomEDID. But I have no idea how to do that or what tool(s) to use.

Thanks!
cyth
Old 02-02-12, 11:38 PM   #4
primerib

I don't have this problem myself but this isn't the first time I've seen someone with it. Hopefully a working solution will turn up. I do agree that you should be able to force hdmi audio.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 08:43 AM   #5
neosmatrix

Hi,

cythraul can you send the TV's EDID and the extracted EDID while the TX-NR609 is connected with your pc.
  • Xorg/XServer
  • Kde 4.7.4-1
  • QT 4.8.0-1
  • Intel Q6600
  • 8 GB Ram
  • MythTV ♥ v0.25pre
neosmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 08:48 AM   #6
cythraul

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmatrix View Post
cythraul can you send the TV's EDID and the extracted EDID while the TX-NR609 is connected with your pc.
Hi neosmatrix,

Here's both EDID file...

Thanks!
cyth
Attached Files
File Type: zip edid-dlp.zip (234 Bytes, 34 views)
File Type: zip edid-nr609.zip (306 Bytes, 45 views)
Old 02-06-12, 02:53 PM   #7
neosmatrix

Hi,

I don't know what i have done, a few years ago, how to convert this into a Phoenix Editor readable file. Somehow hexdump's output is not the right way to do this
  • Xorg/XServer
  • Kde 4.7.4-1
  • QT 4.8.0-1
  • Intel Q6600
  • 8 GB Ram
  • MythTV ♥ v0.25pre
neosmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:29 AM   #8
cythraul

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmatrix View Post
I don't know what i have done, a few years ago, how to convert this into a Phoenix Editor readable file. Somehow hexdump's output is not the right way to do this
Indeed, Phoenix Editor won't accept the files.

A nice EDID editor would be nice but all I see out there either won't accept the files or crash and burn.

cyth