Option "TVStandard" "PAL-N"
EndSection

et les 2 sont en 800x600 :/
udok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 04:36 AM   #14
udok

Quote:
Originally posted by pe1chl
The BIG disadvantage (in my opinion making it unusable) of twinview is that it disables hardware video overlays. Both on the first and on the second screen.

So, when you view video on you primary monitor, it cannot be overlaid (and scaled) in hardware but this must be done in software.
This eats 50% of my P4/2533 :-(

Unfortunately even with 2 X screens there are no video overlays on the second screen.
So, when you view a movie on the second screen, it is scaled to the selected video resolution and copied to the video memory in software.

This is especially bad since the resolution in TV mode is not freely programmable, so it cannot be set to match the movie resolution.
I think it may also be responsible for the lack of synchronization between the vertical refresh on the TV and the updates of the frame memory. So, when you watch a movie with a lot of movement (especially horizontal, as in quick panning), you will see artifacts of the swapping of the frame while the TV is scanning it.

All in all, after using the tv-out videocard in my system for a couple of weeks, I am getting more and more convinced that it is unusable for the purpose of watching movies on a TV screen. The fact that nVidia cannot get the "underscan" under control is not helping either.

I now have a "Dream multimedia DM-7000s" which is a DVB settopbox with ethernet interface, that runs Linux as the embedded OS. It can play MPEG-TS streams and some other formats as well, retrieving the file data from the PC using NFS or some forms of streaming.
This looks much more promising. I have a fullscreen picture, of broadcast quality. It is also much more practical as you can put it near the TV and connect using ethernet.
It only needs some clever scripts to do on-the-fly conversion of movies it cannot play (e.g. DIVX) into formats it can play. Working on that...
oh yes, I notice this problem when I watch a movies yesterday
I thought it was the movies is bad quality ...
udok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 06:42 AM   #15
eliu

I use twinview clone. I didn't notice any problem.
My cpu is only celeron 1.3G.
eliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 12:10 PM   #16
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally posted by eliu
I use twinview clone. I didn't notice any problem.
My cpu is only celeron 1.3G.
But with clone the two resolutions must be the same. The TV resolution is limited to 1024x768 at most, which is not an interesting option on my 19" CRT.

Clone would be nice when it could scale the framebuffer on-the-fly, as it can with video overlays, or when it could clone a part of the large (e.g. 1600x1200) framebuffer of the main CRT onto the TV screen with all the accelleration and video overlay capabilities intact.

To my understanding, this is not possible with these drivers.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 12:25 PM   #17
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

how about using nvtv... and making only a certain window appear on TV, prehaps you can set your xine or whatever movie player on another virtual desktop and make that window appear on TV. (the new xine has nvtv support or something...)
Old 09-04-03, 02:30 PM   #18
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally posted by alien999999999
how about using nvtv... and making only a certain window appear on TV, prehaps you can set your xine or whatever movie player on another virtual desktop and make that window appear on TV. (the new xine has nvtv support or something...)
I guess I have to look into nvtv. Had hoped that selecting the nVidia driver, which directly supports tv-out, would make that unnecessary.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote