Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-12, 11:41 AM   #1
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default never been this excited for gaming system launch since the wii

Dont know why but I am super excited about the PS Vita launch in the next couple of weeks. I had a chance to play with it at Bestbuy and I came back mighty impressed. The online videos and articles dont justify the quality of the system. I went there to actually buy a 3DS and so I had a good opportunity to compare the two. The PS Vita wins hands down, and with good third party support, it could be the system to beat this year. The game prices seem to be the deterrent right now, and but if there are quality games, it shouldnt matter.
Old 02-06-12, 12:07 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: never been this excited for gaming system launch since the wii

*waits for tornadog to post a complaint about the Vita and how he returned it*

I'll get one when Persona 4 Ultimate comes out for it... and after I pay for the wedding.
Old 02-07-12, 04:06 PM   #3
frenchy2k1

Mobile gaming is slowly dying.
Few people are ready to spend over $100 on a gadget that can only play games when most phones today can entertain you on the go. Sure, the type of games available is different, but most of the market won't care.
Old 02-17-12, 09:30 AM   #4
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Initial Impressions:

Very light yet sturdy. The screen is beautiful, I think the best screen I have seen on a mobile device, the touch interafce is super responsive. If you are used to tablets, the interface should be intuitive and user friendly. Some people complained about the inability to use the analog controls on the UI, but I didnt find that a big issue.

Games:

Uncharted is definitely the showcase game. The visuals are as good as the PS3, and the controls are just the same. The touch controls are very well implemented, and makes platforming redundant in the game, which may or may not be such a great thing.

Modnation Racers is the game I am spending the most time with. The game is as good as it PS3 counterpart, and features the same level of customization and options.

Little Devaints is a good showcase for the Vita's features, and is fun for a while. Kids loved it a lot but it can get monotonous after a while. Since it came with the bundle, I am not complaining. But I wont pick it up separately.

There were some bugs in the setup. When adding your psn account, it tells you to update,. But when you click update it tells you to select your account. Work around was to use a guest account, then update, and then add your psn account. The Near feature was interesting. It shows other Vita users in a 10 mile radius, what they are playing. You can communicate with them and setup matches, I guess. You can set your privacy levels, like hide your location, hide your games, etc. I definitely wont want people to see I am playing my vita at the workplace!!!

Battery life is pretty good. Out of the box the brightness is set to about 75% and it drains the battery pretty fast. Once I set it to like 30% which is still very bright in a well lit room, it went to almost 5 hours. Also when you put it on standby, the drain is very little.

The bundle came with a 4GB card. I dont plan to buy anything bigger, since its mostly for stuff you buy off PSN and I dont see that happening a lot. You can always backup stuff to your ps3 or PC. So if you run out of space, that is always an option.

I downloaded NBA2K12 for the psp from the store. And it plays just as it did on the psp. There is an option to make the graphics a little bit more sharper on the vita. But its not very noticeable.
Old 02-24-12, 01:23 PM   #5
G@merX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
Mobile gaming is slowly dying.
Few people are ready to spend over $100 on a gadget that can only play games when most phones today can entertain you on the go. Sure, the type of games available is different, but most of the market won't care.
This.

I have an Xperia play - playstation phone. A lot of games that were annoying to play via touchscreen are fantastic now that I have a phone with a true gamepad. Add the emulators it runs and i'm a happy guy.

When the graphics argument comes up vs. vita, I find some wifi and click my onlive app on the phone, fire up a game of batman arkham city and most people stfu

And I get to make calls, receive and send texts, surf the web, nfl mobile, youtube, 720p videos, etc.

Vita is a one trick pony with a crap ton of copyright locks that looks pretty but is extremely expensive for what it does. I also worry about what kind of develop support it will get in the future. PSP's was a train wreck.
Old 02-24-12, 01:58 PM   #6
ElL33t
Brobama

I hate video games on phones and crap like that. The games are pure crap to navigate around. If you like that type of game, great. I don't however. Now will systems like the Vita die out? I have no idea but my son wants one and ill get him one in April for his birthday.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 09:07 PM   #7
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by G@merX View Post
TPSP's was a train wreck.
my 6 year old psp begs to differ.
Old 02-24-12, 09:08 PM   #8
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

for all u naysayers and haters here is my opinion...

Old 02-25-12, 08:24 PM   #9
fasedww
Pc Gamer

Mine is coming monday, got uncharted game an hotshots golf. I like playing on my lunch breaks at work too'.
Asus X79 rampage extreme 4, i7 3930K, 47X100, 4.70 GHZ, ,16 gigs, corsair, 1600mhz, 3 MSI GTX 780's Tri SLI, gtx, Prolimatech Genesis, 2 140mm fan heastsink, Lian Li PC 80 ArmorSuit case, PCPC 1200 watt, window side panel with 120mm blowhole, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD , Asus Blueray sata dvdrw,SSD 256GB Plextor Pro,SSD Patriot Pyro 240gig,SSD Agility 4 256 , 1 300 gig raptor, 1 600 gig raptor, segate 1 gig ,Total Airhead amp, Denon AH-D2000 headphones, Dell Ultra3011, Acer HN274H 120 Hz Lcd, ,26,500 3dmark 11, Win 7 HomePrem.

Rig #2 i7 3930k 4.7GHZ. 16 gig corsair Platinum 2400MHZ, Asus P9X79 DELUXE, 2 7970's Watercooled, Koolance blocks, on 1080 nova rad. 9 fan. 655 swiftech. Cpu heatkiller block, coolgate 240mm rad, 2 fan sycthe 108cfm 655 pump,OCZ 256Gb Vertex 4 ssd, C300 256Gb ssd, Patriot pyro 240Gb ssd, 2 wd 640gig Hd, Lian Li 343 modular case. Asus BD drive, Corsair AX1200 watt, X-FI Titanium HD on Fiio , Shure SRH840 Head phones, Dell Ultra3011, Razer Black Widow Ult. BF3 Edition keyboard, Corsair Vengence M60 Mouse, 3dmark 11 16,500, win 7 homePrem.
fasedww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 09:39 AM   #10
G@merX

I ended up getting an insane deal on the 3G version and being a huge wipeout fan, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

It's a fun little device, I bought Uncharted and Wipeout. Uncharted is fun, as is wipeout, they both have framerate issues, Uncharted has a good amount of jaggies, but they both look great on a handheld.

Nothing on here yet is a must play, but then, how many must play games does a handheld really get?

It's a nice system for a long ride or trip, maybe sitting in the crapper with massive water shoots or for me, when the wife is watching something like Princess Bride on HBO but "wants me in the room spending time with her" lol. Ah yes, Vita comes in handy for these times especially. You married men know where I'm coming from on that one.
Old 04-16-12, 02:42 PM   #11
XDanger
Whaaat?

Its an impressive piece of hardware but I can wait till I get home to game.

If they made it so you could plug it in the TV and use a PS3 controller I'd think about it.
Old 04-21-12, 01:21 AM   #12
Ninja Prime

Exciting.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote