Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-12, 04:09 PM   #1
Horaciusl

Default monitor not recognised after installing nvidia drivers

Hello, I just recently instaled mint 12 in a machine with a gt 560 card, it works ok with the noveau driver but after installing the nvidia driver the monitor isnt recognised and I cant set it to its normal resolution (1920x 1080); the monitor is a samsung syncmaster B2230. The monitor's resolution doesnt show up in the x client resolutions list.

I dont know how could I fix that as Im relatively new to linux, can somebody help?

Regards

Last edited by Horaciusl; 05-27-12 at 04:11 PM. Reason: missed some information
Horaciusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 06:48 PM   #2
Horaciusl

Default Re: monitor not recognised after installing nvidia drivers

2 months already and I havent found an asnwer yet, and I dont mean this forum lol looks like nobody knows how to restore the noveau driver.
Old 08-02-12, 10:11 AM   #3
johnc

If you're using the D-sub / VGA connector (or, worse, a DVI-to-VGA adapter), the driver might not be able to draw the monitor's EDID information, and therefore can't determine the supported resolutions. This is because some D-sub connectors / adapters do not support EDID pass-through.

Check the most recent /var/log/Xorg.*.log file and see if you can find any errors, warnings or any other statements about acquiring EDID information for the display, or any other warnings related to the monitor.

If the driver can't determine the appropriate HorizSync and VertRefresh values, you'll have to provide them manually by editing the (or adding a) "Monitor" section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This is the equivalent of installing a monitor driver on Windows. The correct values should be found in your monitor's manual or, if not there, from Samsung customer support (heh). Or, download the monitor's Windows driver from the Samsung support site and open the text-formatted driver file and find the frequencies in there.

After that is set correctly, restart X (by logging out and logging back in) and then use the NVIDIA X Server Settings application to select the desired resolution.

Here's an example of what the Monitor section would look like. You need to find your display's frequencies to get the right resolutions.

Code:
Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Dell"
    ModelName      "DELL ST2410"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 76.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection
If you're already using a DVI connector and the EDID is being read correctly, then I don't know what the problem is.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 10:59 PM   #4
Horaciusl

Awesome! Ill do that asap
Thanks a lot!