Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-12, 03:07 PM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: How to make Win7 handle eight GPUs properly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Have you considered running Tesla cards instead?
That's another option. But that would be a very large price tag for 8 high end Tesla cards, which typically cost twice as much as their GeForce counterparts. And the capital investment has already been made, so it'd be a pain to sell/buy all the cards.

The only real performance difference between Quadro cards and the GeForce "equivalents" is the double precision floating point performance. There are some bandwidth discrepancies too that can be addressed via BIOS updates.

This may seem like a silly question, but have you looked at other people who run the same or similar setups? What OS do they use?

Also, was this setup purchased or assembled? There are vendors that sell computation rigs like that with multiple GTX 580's. Do they support Windows? If so what version and how many GPU's are they using? Another option to consider is scaling back the PCIe width on the cards to 4x or 8x (if they aren't scaled back already, which they probably are).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 04:24 PM   #14
Romant

>>> Have you considered contacting Nvidia or Microsoft?
I would like to but have no ideas how to do it. Nvidia support web pages provide links to forums where nobody answers, Microsoft forums are a bit more responsive but also not too much. How to contact them to make them do something ?

>>> Tesla
Well, GTX580 cards are a bit cheaper than Teslas, I would say that price difference is very remarkable. In addition, floats are enough for my purposes.

>>> Other people/companies that build something similar.
Yes, I have contacted one company. They say they do exactly same things with exactly same OS and drivers with almost exactly similar hardware (they use FT77 instead of FT72 barebone) - and everything works just fine for them, no problems at all. I would have considered hardware problems - but this rig worked under XP64!
Romant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 04:42 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
You also get business class support and drivers. That's a BIG difference between GeForce and Tesla. By the looks of it, this system is used for professional workloads. So a few thousand bucks shouldn't be a problem.
While true for large corporations, smaller companies aren't so keen on dropping a couple thousand on something that should work the way it is.

There are commercial systems available that include 4+ GPU's and can be setup with 580's, so it should be possible. They don't seem to have driver problems. But then again, I'm pretty sure they run custom Linux variants.
Old 02-20-12, 04:45 PM   #16
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romant View Post
>>> Have you considered contacting Nvidia or Microsoft?
I would like to but have no ideas how to do it. Nvidia support web pages provide links to forums where nobody answers, Microsoft forums are a bit more responsive but also not too much. How to contact them to make them do something ?

>>> Tesla
Well, GTX580 cards are a bit cheaper than Teslas, I would say that price difference is very remarkable. In addition, floats are enough for my purposes.

>>> Other people/companies that build something similar.
Yes, I have contacted one company. They say they do exactly same things with exactly same OS and drivers with almost exactly similar hardware (they use FT77 instead of FT72 barebone) - and everything works just fine for them, no problems at all. I would have considered hardware problems - but this rig worked under XP64!
Very interesting. I would continue running 7 until you can figure it out.

Is it possible the 8th card is damaged/defective?
Old 02-20-12, 04:49 PM   #17
Romant

>>> Very interesting. Have you considered testing the cards 1 at a time? Start with 1, add 1, add 1, add 1, etc.?
Yes, that's exactly what I have done. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - OK; as soon as all eight cards are plugged - slowdown.
Old 02-20-12, 04:50 PM   #18
ViN86

Quote:
>>> Very interesting. Have you considered testing the cards 1 at a time? Start with 1, add 1, add 1, add 1, etc.?
Yes, that's exactly what I have done. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - OK; as soon as all eight cards are plugged - slowdown.
Yes, sorry I re-read the OP and edited the above post. I was wondering if it's a single card that's causing the problem (one is defective).

Also, the QUOTE button is easier.
Old 02-20-12, 04:50 PM   #19
Romant

>>> Is it possible the 8th card is damaged/defective?
I have replugged the cards into different slots.
Old 02-20-12, 04:54 PM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
>>> Is it possible the 8th card is damaged/defective?
I have replugged the cards into different slots.
Ok, have you tried 1 at a time? As in test card 1, remove, test card 2, remove, test card 3, remove, etc. ?

Also have you tested all the PCIe slots individually? Working card test in slot 1, test in slot 2, test in slot 3, etc.

It takes a very long time to troubleshoot these kinds of things, but it will prevent you from going insane.

Old 02-20-12, 05:17 PM   #21
Romant

I'm already a bit insane :-), lots of things have been tried.

Test each card in each slot (considering the only card plugged at a time) gives 64 variants, say, 8 minutes each. 512 minutes of pure action :-)
Old 02-20-12, 05:19 PM   #22
ViN86

Quote:
I'm already a bit insane :-), lots of things have been tried.

Test each card in each slot (considering the only card plugged at a time) gives 64 variants, say, 8 minutes each. 512 minutes of pure action :-)

I can't think of a better way to spend a day. It shouldn't take that long though. I'd test each card individually (8 cards), then if all cards work, test one of them in each of the 8 slots, so it'd only be 16 boots instead of 64, so 128 minutes roughly.
Old 02-21-12, 08:10 AM   #23
Romant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

I can't think of a better way to spend a day. It shouldn't take that long though. I'd test each card individually (8 cards), then if all cards work, test one of them in each of the 8 slots, so it'd only be 16 boots instead of 64, so 128 minutes roughly.
I have tested the system using the method described above. All GTX580 cards have been removed from the system physically, each card has been tested separately, each slot has been tested separately, all cards were tested in bunches. Result is the same: as soon as the number of plugged cards becomes equal to eight the system jams.

I have done all these tests on a clean system (reinstalled Win7).

Arghhh ...
Old 02-21-12, 10:01 AM   #24
ViN86

I don't know if this is related:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=218028

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Maybe contact Tyan?

http://www.tyan.com/support_download...el=B.FT72B7015