Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-12, 07:41 PM   #1
joerg.sigle

Default 96.43.20 does still not support new X.Org ABI 11 - will an update be procuded?

Hello nvidia team,

after an apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade on Debian Wheezy/Sid several weeks ago, my trusted old server lost X11 on its nVidia 440 MX graphics card.

I already installed the latest available driver for this legacy card - which is apparently still 96.43.20. Before attempting to downgrade to an earlier version of xorg, I was wondering whether (when?) you might release some updated version 96.43.21 of your driver. Apparently, the same problem hits other people as well.

Here's the output from starting xorg after the upgrade:

mymachine:~# startx

xserverrc: Starte X-Server für 110 dpi, dpms und mit aktiviertem TCP-Protokoll js

X.Org X Server 1.11.4
Release Date: 2012-01-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 i686 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux mymachine 3.2.11-P3SMP #1 SMP Fri Mar 16 02:12:48 CET 2012 i686
Kernel command line: [...]
Build Date: 05 March 2012 04:16:09AM
xorg-server 2:1.11.4-1 (Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 27 01:38:15 2012
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
This server has a video driver ABI version of 11.0 that is not
supported by this NVIDIA driver. Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
================================================== ===============
(EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply, Joerg
joerg.sigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 08:53 PM   #2
joerg.sigle

Default Re: 96.43.20 does still not support new X.Org ABI 11 - will an update be procuded?

Now I just see:

$ apt-cache showpkg xserver-xorg-core
1.12.1.902-1 - xorg-video-abi-12 xorg-input-abi-16
1.11.4-1 - xorg-video-abi-11 xorg-input-abi-13
So - might it be the case, that X.Org have developed another ABI 12 again?
Hmpf. If yes, it would be very kind of you, nVidia, if you could consider supporting that as well. :-)

Kind regards, Joerg
Old 05-27-12, 01:09 AM   #3
joerg.sigle

Default Re: 96.43.20 does still not support new X.Org ABI 11 - How I downgraded my Debian box

Now I downgraded xserver-xorg on my machine to get a usable X11 back.

As expected, this caused some pain, because of necessary package sources, dependencies, version numbers etc. - You should only attempt it if you have some experience with apt/aptitude etc., and some time at hand to fix errors if they occur.

This may be close to what I finally did (and may be wrong, because I'm *NOT* an expert on apt!)

in /etc/apt/sources.list add these lines:

#fuer xserver mit ABI 10, letztes derzeit von nvidia 96.43.20 unterstuetztes
deb http://www.backports.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/d...110829T003753Z 20110829T003753Z main

Do (probably rather) not use anything like
# apt-get remove xserver...
because when I attempted that (just to have a look) it would have set out to remove kde (or maybe gnome, respectively), and other packages which it thought might depend on an X server (why? they could use a remote server anyway), which is probably not what you want.

You may try this instead:

# apt-get install --ignore-missing xorg=1:7.6+8~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg=1:7.6+8~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-core=2:1.10.4-1~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-mouse=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-all=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-evdev=*~bpo60+1 libgl1-mesa-dri=*~bpo60+1

This selects the available backports of the xserver-xorg version 1.10, that uses X.Org ABI 10 and is still compatible with the nVidia 96.43.20 driver. It also installs suitable versions of the minimum driver package set on which the xserver-xorg would depend. As long as you do not specify these packages, the system would rather default to install their newer versions, and these would not be compatible with the downgraded xserver-xorg-core etc... :-(

It is true mercy that you can provide the version numbers for most (maybe all, indeed) packages like *bpo60+1 - this will select a suitable backported version (maybe needs a different number when they are updated), and the portion represented by * will be replaced by something that's really available. Otherwise, you would have to look up individual version numbers for all(?) of these packages!

You can look up versions available for a given package e.g. like this:

$ apt-cache showpkg xserver-xorg-core

Anyway:

Before I had added the vesa package, even after the above command, on my system apt wanted to install a bunch of debian nvidia packages. One of these complained that it could not create a file in /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/ and finally broke the installation process.

Even thereafter that directory didn't exist, so I made it manually (as root), and thereafter this specific package would install ok. Still, further down some other debian nvidia packages would throw errors. So finally, I removed the debian nvidia packages alltogether:

# apt-get remove nvidia*

Then, I tried to install the above package set, plus some simple vesa video driver:

apt-get install --ignore-missing xorg=1:7.6+8~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg=1:7.6+8~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-core=2:1.10.4-1~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-mouse=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-all=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-input-evdev=*~bpo60+1 libgl1-mesa-dri=*~bpo60+1 xserver-xorg-video-vesa=*~bpo60+1

This, finally, gave me an installation process that (a) completed without errors, and/because_it (b) would not try to install any debian nvidia packages.

Thereafter, I ran the nVidia installer package as downloaded from nVidia's site:

# ./NVIDIA-LInux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run

Finally, I started X11 in a short experimental fashion:

# startx

This actually did work. (You might use Ctrl-Alt-backspace to quit this server fast [if not configured out], and later on, use kdm or gdm or xdm or any other way to get it back with the normal login screen.)

Now, look which versions of which packages are installed:

# dpkg-query -l xserver*

Finally, I don't want to have these "precious" downgraded xserver-xorg package replaced by future updates (as long as nVidia don't have an updated driver, at least). I hope that I can achieve that like this:

# apt-mark hold xserver*

And then, to correct the setting for two packages I did not want to include:

# apt-mark auto obexserver isdnvboxserver

And to check what was finally achieved:

# apt-mark showhold

Ok. Everything is provided without any warranties - mainly to document the required packages and version numbers - because I didn't find anything suitable when I searched the web. This implies *no* suggestion towards anyone to attempt the same thing. Don't try it if you are not sufficiently knowledgeable and experienced. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Kind regards, Joerg